do i need a license to rent out my home in the state of california?

Asked by Atwater, Sacramento, CA Sun Jun 20, 2010

Answers

5
Kamal Randha…, Agent, El Sobrante, CA
Sat Jun 26, 2010

No, you do not need any sort of license to rent out a property.

Kamal Randhawa
Broker
510-932-1066
Max Boyko, Agent, Sacramento, CA
Thu Jun 24, 2010
If you are going to rent out a property that you own you do not require to have a license.

You are still liable to follow law and fair practice though.
Sue Archer R…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Sun Jun 20, 2010
Are you a renter or a landlord?

I also vote for taking classes at RHA. I had been a landlord in New Jersey, and also had properties in California. I found California to be one of the most pro-tenant states. It requires that a landlord be very aware of how to properly serve notices on any discrepancies in executing a tenancy agreement. The law will more often side with the tenant on any gray area.

No license is required but a license doesn't always mean KNOWLEDGE. You do need Knowledge of the law and your responsibilities as a landlord.
Web Reference:  http://www.suearcher.com
Jim Walker, Agent, Carmichael, CA
Sun Jun 20, 2010
In the city of Sacramento your rental property will need to be inspected and certified by the city at least once every five years to ensure that it meets health and safety standards for occupancy.

You as the owner do not need to have a California real estate license, but you do need to be aware of your legal obligations, rights, and responsibilities as a landlord.

It would be wise to attend a class or seminar. Also there is a bookstore at the Realtors association on Howe Avenue with several good titles on the subject.
Eric J Soder…, , Pleasanton, CA
Sun Jun 20, 2010
The answer is no. Not if you own the property. Below I attached the Tenant landlord book.
Read It
Learn It
Live It.

I think that was from 'Fast Times At Ridgemont High".

Been A long day!

Eric Soderlund