trlly, Both Buyer and Seller in Paoli, PA

after 20 years we want to move to a new home but I am so emotional about leaving.the home I.m in. .How common is this..?

Asked by trlly, Paoli, PA Wed Feb 9, 2011

Answers

8
Teddy Sonner, Agent, Washington, DC
Thu Feb 10, 2011
Jackie and John,

It's uncommon not to feel this way in many cases.

Moving can be a great opportunity though to find other projects etc. Plus, it forces people to make choices about what is important in their lives. Somethings will need to be thrown out and after the move and you have whole new set of challenges, it can be pretty exiting.

Best of luck.

Teddy
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Wed Feb 9, 2011
Oh Jackie..don't feel bad. This is very common.

There are so many memories attached to our homes, and the feelings we have about them can remain for many years. You will get over it when you see a thriving and happy new family making memories in your lovely home..and when you begin making some new memories in your new place.

Best of luck to you!
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Wed Feb 9, 2011
Hi Jackie & Jon!

If it's any consolation, you're certainly not alone in having these feelings.

It's only natural - afterall, you have memories (fond or otherwise!) in the home.........but remember, you're not leaving the hapyy memories behind - you're taking them with you.

I had a seller sob out loud when we first signed contracts.

She insisted on showing me where her son had chewed on the stairway railing when he was a toddler - Yes, I saw his toothmarks! (I am NOT making this up).

We then proceeded to sign the FULL asking price offer, and I realized her tears weren't tears of joy - she was so upset about leaving the house and moving on.
She was fine....the feelings passed.

Change can be scary........but in no time, we all adjust to it.
That "new" place becomes "home sweet home" in no time, and you will soon be creating new memories there!

All the best!
Relax - all will be fine!!

Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
Laura Feghali, Agent, Stamford, CT
Wed Feb 9, 2011
Hello Jackie and John,
Yes, it is very common for owners that have been in their homes for a number of years to grow emotionally attached to it.
I remember when I sold my house in CA. After the movers left and I remained to clean; I just didn't want to leave and lingered there long after I was finished.
And...even a former neighbor of mine who used to live next door to me, when she comes to visit laments how the current owners of her former home have changed it so much. She misses seeing it the way it was when she lived in it. Lots of memories.
Once you move into your new home and get adjusted, you'll have the excitement of arranging everything the way you prefer and perhaps you will begin to get attached to it too.
Best of luck to you!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
Phil Rotondo, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Wed Feb 9, 2011
Very, very common Jackie and John;
I felt the same way when I left my home in Havertown PA.
As the time passes, so will the emotional ties. Hopefully you have a lot of pictures to remember.
Web Reference:  http://www.321property.com
Maureen Cody, , Charleston, SC
Wed Feb 9, 2011
Hi Jackie and John,

I am sure the feeling of emotional attachment to your current home is far more common than you think, especially when you have live in your home for over 20 yrs!

Once you find your new home/location ~ you'll start to feel excited about the new experience. The more you get excited about where you are going, perhaps will lessen the emotional ties to your current home.

Maureen
trlly, Both Buyer And Seller, Paoli, PA
Tue Feb 15, 2011
Thank-you everyone for your replies...We have decided NOT to move from Paoli where we live now...but our condo at The Rittenhouse Hotel is up for sale...so anyone interested???
I also wrote another thread about how that is going...and it is not so far....
Nick & Trudy…, Agent, Devon, PA
Tue Feb 15, 2011
It is not an uncommon feeling as everyone below has said. We moved here 22 years agon from the UK that was a big change, but it was also an adventure, and yes Paoli and Berwyn are great places to live. We found that making it all an adventure and looking forward with hope and backwards at the positive experiences helped. We realized that we will build new and fun experiences in our new home as well. We considered all the reasons for making the move and what we were going to get out of it when we did and that helped.
Web Reference:  http://www.vandekarteam.com