Would California Be Better Off Seceding From The United States?

Asked by John Arendsen, Leucadia, CA Sun Jun 26, 2011

Please feel free to waddle your way through my most recent post. I welcome your feedback.

http://www.trulia.com/blog/onthelevelcontractors/2011/06/wou…

Answers

29
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Sun Jun 26, 2011
I would just wait for the big earthquake and let it actually become the island of California and let it form it's own country then. I would double taxes since it would then have much more oceanfront.
Phil Rotondo, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Sun Jun 26, 2011
There is science, thought, logic, and thought verified by experience.
And then there is California.
Take the rest of the day off; stay out of the sun, put your feet up and relax.
Web Reference:  http://www.321property.com
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Mon Jun 27, 2011
Eureka is right!! Could you imagine what the would do for Humboldt the poorest county in the state? They could change their name to Humboldt Green!
, ,
Mon Jun 27, 2011
John,

If California Republic is decided upon, all it's citizens would be referred to as California Rebublicans. Eureka!

Happy funding, Rudi
Web Reference:  http://www.umboc.com
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Mon Jun 27, 2011
Yeah California, I love it. Or howabout the "California Banana Republic" Thanks for indulging me with your witt.
, ,
Mon Jun 27, 2011
I read what you wrote. I suggest California Republic for our new country's name. We already have that on our state flag.

Happy funding, Rudi
Web Reference:  http://www.umboc.com
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Mon Jun 27, 2011
Oops! Hey California I meant the State California not the US in the second paragraph of my previous comment. Sorry. But even more fun.
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Mon Jun 27, 2011
I'll give ya that California. But have you read my post? It's a bit of a wordy Sunday afternoon rant in my hammock but there is some pretty interesting info I managed to reseasrch. It may give you a little more insight as to my question.

Now here's my response to your comment. My point is not how much wealth other countries have. It's about all the hidden wealth in the US. It's mind boggling. There's literally trillions of dollars in this state making us one of the wealthiest if not the wealthiest place on the planet. These numbers go beyond the already existing 1.8 trillion

Here's another link for you that I didn't even use in my post: http://www.visualeconomics.com/california-vs-the-world_2010-05-10/

If you do happen to open the 2nd link below you better have a calculater handy that is capable of extending all the 0's. And this is just LA. It's mind blowing

Link: http://www.allbusiness.com/north-america/united-states-calif…

I think we could have some fun with this.
, ,
Mon Jun 27, 2011
John I've been saying this for over 20 years, jokingly. I lived in Florida in the early 80's. Key West wanted to secede from the Union to become the Conch Republic. Well organized, but we all know it didn't happen. Now it's Texas http://www.texassecede.com/

FYI: Mexico has more gold in it's vaults and more thermal energy than any other country, along with huge reserves in precious metals and petroleum. It's earned the name by Industrialists as the "Sleeping Giant."

Happy funding, Rudi
Web Reference:  http://www.umboc.com
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Mon Jun 27, 2011
Laura, Gotcha on the chits. Thanks. I'll take some issue with the water situation. Granted we do get much of our water supply from the Feather River Water Project which does indeed feed from NorCal. But truth be known up untl very recently most of our water supply acctually fed from the Colorado River. Now we're being shut off in part largely due to Ariz and NM's water shortage issues.

On the MJ issue. It just seems such a pitty to allow organized crime to flourish so while our agri biz and hundreds of thousands of farmers and farm labor are so desperately and pathitically suffering.
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Mon Jun 27, 2011
Love your spot on humor John. Thanks
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Mon Jun 27, 2011
Oops! Forgot o include the linki to my post. http://www.trulia.com/blog/onthelevelcontractors/2011/06/wou…
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Mon Jun 27, 2011
Karen, take a moment to read this excerpt from my post on this subject:

"One is the sheer magnitude of the wealth in Los Angeles County, which according to TNS Financial Services was home to 268,000 millionaires in 2006, far more than any other county in the U.S. and more than most countries."

"Among those, tens of thousands of those have net worths exceeding $10 million, which is generally regarded as the threshold for elite private wealth managers." and then try to find a calculater that extends that many 0's. And this is only LA County!

I don't think Mexico or even China could afford all the hidden wealth that lurks in California.
Laura Feghali, Agent, Stamford, CT
Mon Jun 27, 2011
Hi John,
I believe that Gregorio was referring to Florida's problem with the "chits" counting of votes in the 2000 Presidential election.

And, regarding splitting Northern and Southern CA; the southern portion of the state relies on the water supply from the north but you make a valid point about the tax revenues from the south assisting the northern part of the state. Thank goodness for the Silicon Valley even though economic times are tough!

Yes, I'm in agreement that CA would flourish if they were to legalize marijuana growth. Who knows what may happen as other states begin to legalize it for medicinal purposes. I know that the government is targeting CT currently as a state for legalizing it for this reason. Time will tell.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
John Souerbry, Agent, Fairfield, CA
Mon Jun 27, 2011
Karen, your post is an insult to morons. They would do a great job compared to those currently holding office.
Karen Parsons…, Agent, Laguna Beach, CA
Mon Jun 27, 2011
a few years ago....but not now. We have run ourselves into the ground and if we seceded, we'd end up being bought by Mexico. Bunch of morons running our state.

sigh
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Mon Jun 27, 2011
PS I've been voting since 1964 and I'm still not getting it.
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Mon Jun 27, 2011
Gregorio, If you took the time to peruse my other contributions you would see that I make an effort for answer anyone who takes the time to answer or reply to my posts, questions or comments. Likewise I appreciate and thank you for doing the same. Have a good day.
Gregorio Den…, , San Diego, CA
Sun Jun 26, 2011
"Gregorio, your comment intrigues me but would you mind elaborating just a little. I really am interested in your message."

It's a pretty simple joke, I think anyone of voting age in 2000 would get it. I have a policy of not explaining my attempts at humor, you either get it or you don't.

PS, Brilliant idea to up your post count significantly: Answer each person individually with a new post.
Gotta love Trulia!
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Sun Jun 26, 2011
Tim, You're my kinda guy. Especially since I've been a disaster response contractor for the past 25 years. I would love to see a dramatic increase of oceanfront property. I wonder how many new surf breaks that would yield. Glad to see some humor on this topic. Thanks!
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Sun Jun 26, 2011
Thanks Phil, I got the last part of your comment and frankly have had a wonderful afternoon with my lovely wife and some of my kids and grandkids. I always do.
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Sun Jun 26, 2011
Gregorio, your comment intrigues me but would you mind elaborating just a little. I really am interested in your message.
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Sun Jun 26, 2011
John, you're absolutely right. The US would be better off without California under its current governmental structure and failing economic condition. But can you imagine what would happen if California suddenly saw the light and opened the doors of opportunity? All you have to do is take a look at the states and countries that are business and entrepreneur friendly. Why do you think all the pent up wealth in Cali is parking their cash elsewhere?
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Sun Jun 26, 2011
Laura, I all to well remember that era. The fact of the matter is Northern California needs the Southern California population, resources, revenues (tax base) and booming economy to survive. Some of the poorest counties in the State are in Northern Cal. i.e. all the way up the Central Valley, through Stockton and into the poorest area in the State Humboldt County.

But truth be known if you were to legalize Marijuana and create viable tax base for it Humboldt County along with many other very poor farming and agricultural communities would become affluent and prosperous almost overnight . Instead we sit on the sidelines and watch organized crime line their pockets with mucho dinero and pay no taxes while fleecing the state of much needed revenues. I'm not a pot smoker. In fact my only drug of choice is a good bottle of Pino or an occasional shot of quality Agave. That's about as close to natural herbs as I get.

But after almost 50 years of observing billions, maybe trillions of dollars in failed enforcement and the incarceration of tens of thousands of petty pot dealers and smugglers all for naught while seeing the bad guys don their Rolex's, cruise around in their Ferrari's, pilot their multi million dollar yachts, fly their private jets and live in their multi million dollar beachfront mansions all while fleecing millions of Americans in the process you might say I'm beginning to feel a little drained.

Doncha think California could fix a few potholes with some of those tax dollars? All the past 50 years has proven is that people are going to use drugs just as they do alcohol or tobacco if they choose o do so. No amount of enforcement will ever win this battle. So why not capitalize on it and build a few new schools?
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Sun Jun 26, 2011
Exactly Frank. Heavily reliant on the Industrial Military Complex. If we became a business friendly government and economy how long do you think it would take the world to start pouring money back into California? Then do you think we'd still be reliant on the Fed? In fact we could start winding down on the Fed defense except for a few stratigic installations that are vital for world peace. But it wouldn't be much different from what we're doing in Germany, Korea, the Middle East, Guantanamo Bay, etc.
Frank Diaz, Agent, Honolulu, HI
Sun Jun 26, 2011
If they could balance their budget, that would be a great start. They are heavily reliant in millions of dollars from the federal government due to multiple military bases there, San Diego, Lemoore, Fairfield, Fort Irwin, etc.
Web Reference:  http://www.hawaiihome.biz/
Laura Feghali, Agent, Stamford, CT
Sun Jun 26, 2011
Hi John,
Isn't California dependent on a few resources from other states? Would they not then have to pay extra to have these resources imported if CA were to secede?
I used to live in the SF Bay area back in the 80's and 90's and recall the discussion of splitting the state to form two states. I remember that water supply was a big issue.
Thanks for your thoughtful post!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
John Souerbry, Agent, Fairfield, CA
Sun Jun 26, 2011
The US would be better off if it seceded from California.
Gregorio Den…, , San Diego, CA
Sun Jun 26, 2011
"There is science, thought, logic, and thought verified by experience.
And then there is California. "

This from a person in a state that apparently cannot count.