Why do most of the swimming pools have a large screened-in enclosure around them? Does this reduce the appeal of sitting "outdoors" while?

Asked by Benzlet, Naples, FL Mon Jun 21, 2010

at the pool?

Answers

57
Roxie Baber, , Buena Vista, CO
Wed Jun 23, 2010
I wouldn't have a pool in FLA without one! My sister lives in an area with a lot of palm trees and just keeping the pool clean was a daily task until she built hers. She now has an outdoor kitchen, bar, pool and spa all under the screened area and we can enjoy it all evening with no mosquitos!
I agree, the screening keeps out debris from the trees as well as the bugs and is also secruity for wandering people. If there isn't a screen on your pool, you must have it fenced in.
Flag Mon Jul 11, 2016
I don't think it reduces the appeal of the pool. I think it's a safe idea to keep the pool enclosed. This way, you make sure who is going in and out of the pool which can really reduce a lot of accidents that can happen! http://www.standrite.com.au/Pool-Fencing
Flag Thu Jan 29, 2015
Randy and Vi…, Agent, Punta Gorda, FL
Wed Nov 19, 2014
People have different opinions when it come to pool screen enclosures, some love them and some hate them and think they are ugly. But nearly everyone who has spent much time in Florida lounging or entertaining around a pool has to admit that the screen cage is a necessity if you are to enjoy the space. The lack of a pool cage is viewed buy most home buyers as a negative.
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Sun Jul 27, 2014
Posted June 2010.
Still relevant for those newbie puzzled by these cages.
So many reasons that would only be understandable for those living in FL.
One of the resdialual benefits become awesomely apparent only AFTER they have lived their a while.

A screen enclouse around the pool provides:
1. Security
2. Reduces cleaning issue if oaks, pines or palms are nearby
3. Extend sunshine time by disfusiing the sear of direct sun
4. Keep out the flying inscets
5.Expands the effective living space in winter months by allowing all the doors and window remain open without bugs getting in.
6. Could serve as an aviary. (not recommended)
7. And if direct UV exposure is the goal, open the door and step out or move the the driveway.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Thu Mar 21, 2013
Having a "caged" pool is an option that most Florida pool owners elect to take for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, it keeps unwanted creatures including, flies, mosquitos, snakes, frogs, lizards etc away from your personal relaxation area. Secondly, the cage contributes to easier maintenance by keeping out wind blown materials. It also acts as a barrier for keeping out unwanted or wandering individuals.

Simply stated, the choice is yours but it seems to make complete sense to many to have a caged pool.

Aandcgreen2, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Thu Mar 9, 2017
We have been spending quality time in Fla. with an eye to partial residence after retirement, and it has been an eye opener. The "pool in a cage" was at first bemusing, but a very little acquaintance with actual daily living in Fla. will sway you in its favor. In a small and compact house, it is a great joy-- aesthetically, it converts the main living space into an outdoor room, a practical thing in Florida but almost no where else on earth. Far from producing a feeling of enclosure, the pool allows the whole house to open up. Many houses are built adjacent to the zillions of natural ponds, effectively giving everyone a water view, a bird watching paradise and a spectacular sunset, but a little protection from bugs, snakes and alligators is a mighty comfortable thing. They are capable of any landscape design element modification a screened porch is. I am absolutely envious of anyone who can wake up and jump into their living room pool. Hurrah!
Orlandoenclo…, Home Buyer, Naples, FL
Thu Jul 14, 2016
Sreen rooms and pool enclosures reduce sun light (thus heat!), mosquitos, snakes, leaves, gators, neighbors, etc. They look nice too!
Ksteadford, Home Buyer, Schaumburg, IL
Sun Jul 27, 2014
I have never seen a screened pool here in Illinois . We have leaves , animals , insects , that can get into the pool . My neighbor has an electric cover that with a push of the button is deployed thus keeping out insects debris and reducing heating cost in cool times . Also keeps kids out when nobody is around .
Clark Pear, Agent, Naples, FL
Mon May 6, 2013
Because of bugs, alligators, and snakes. Unfortunately, we share paradise with these critters in Naples. Its the best way to keep them out.
Jay Little, , Palm Bay, FL
Wed Sep 1, 2010
Privacy! Privacy from raccoons, bugs, snakes, lizards, neighbors etc.. It also performs other great jobs. It secures the pool area from little wanderers in the neighborhood and also provide to some extent a little shading. I have had pools with and without enclosures and can tell you I prefer enclosures.
Scott Miller, Agent, Boca Raton, FL
Sun Aug 29, 2010
Hi Benzlet. All of the answers below are pretty valid, except they missed two other reasons to have an enclosure. I read all of the names of bugs, and Murray's named the most, but there are also the ones called 'no see-ums'. They bite the hell out of you on the west coast of Florida and you never see them 'til they hurt you. The second reason is to keep alligators out of your pool. There's nothing quite like waking up in the morning, eating breakfast, and finding Al swimming in your pool. It has been known to happen, so Google it if you don't believe me.

I used to spend a lot of time visiting a relative in Cape Coral. He had a large enclosure on a new house. The appeal of sitting out there at night was still wonderful. Everything is visible, you just don't get bitten to death.

GOOD LUCK!

Scott Miller, Realty Associates, Boca Raton, FL
Christine Ci…, Agent, Naples, FL
Wed Jun 23, 2010
Benzlet, having a screen does not reduce the appeal of sitting outdoors but instead enhances it. No bugs to worry about, no leaves to sweep up, just the beauty and satisfaction of being outside. And, as mentioned by another responder, it enables one to keep the sliders and windows open creating an indoor/outdoor living.
I love it and so do my customers!
First thing I did after buying my home in S.Florida was tearing it down! UGLY!!
Flag Sun Jul 10, 2016
Too bad they're ugly as sin.
Flag Sat Mar 2, 2013
Alma Kee, Agent, Tampa, FL
Mon Jun 21, 2010
Also keeps snakes out of the pool!
--unless the snakes sneak under either of the screen doors of the enclosure. (which has happened to me twice. I used left-over screening, rolled-up then flattened to fill the gap beneath both my screen-doors on the enclosure to the pool/patio.
Flag Wed Apr 2, 2014
Antonio Vega…, Agent, Saint Cloud, FL
Mon Jun 21, 2010
We live in Kissimmee and have chosen to not have screen enclosures on the last 2 homes. We like the large walking area around the pool, like irregular shaped pools, find the enclosure to be distracting, unappealing and takes away from the open garden atmosphere.

Mosquitos and other bugs are only out for a few minutes at dusk, and if you are in the water they don't bother much. In the morning we have to scoop out one or 2 frogs. Another important reason not to screen is that it warms the water up to 4 degrees more than with a screen, and that is a big reduction in heating cost.

Tony Vega

http://www.SearchKissimmeeHomes.com
We live in an area surrounded by natural preserve and I can assure you, unlike the city mosquitoes, the country mosquitoes are out all day and all night and are the size of small Cessnas . I'm guessing in Kissimmee urban dwellers are routinely spraying for bugs which keeps the populations down. While I do not like the look of a pool cage and do prefer to have an open space, without it we'd never use the pool. The enclosures also act as a deterrent to keep out the raccoons, otter, cottonmouths, 6' rattle snakes (yep, they swim, seen them do it in the pond), and 13' alligators during their mating hunt.
Flag Thu Jun 1, 2017
these are onle black snake, they don't bite
Flag Sat Feb 27, 2016
that is insane - snakes gravitate to water pools
Flag Sat Jan 23, 2016
caliberton, Home Buyer, Surfside, FL
Sun Jul 10, 2016
Since I got rid of the 'cage' I spend most of my time outdoors, and the hour or so when the mosquitos go crazy Is my sign to go indoors and prepare dinner! And come back out later.
Atmequia, Home Buyer, Smithtown, NY
Fri Jun 17, 2016
Surprised how few people mention alligators. My aunts house has a pond behind it and an alligator lives in it. Sometimes it is no more than 30 or 40 feet from the house sunning itself. Ilove sitting by her pool. I can't do that in my own yard in NY - I get eaten alive by bugs.
Polospad, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Fri Apr 8, 2016
Penny wise, stupid foolish. To have a pool in Florida without a lanai is like shoveling snow with a broom! The heat, sun, snakes, leaves, dirt, spuders, mice, skunks, kids, did I even mention quality of life?...buy plenty of bug spray and hire a pool company to clean the pool...you'll be sick of it!!!!
Elianecostel…, Home Buyer, Tampa, FL
Sat Feb 27, 2016
Honestly, I have a larger backyard. I would love to not have the cage.... The cage give me feeling of a bird, not being able to breath freely. It's kind of disgusting but necessary. So, my suggestion is 1. my lanai is as bigger as i can. My cage goes from one side of the house to the other side of the house, so I can see the list of it, and on top of it, I continue the cement or brick after the cage... it give me the sense of continuantion.... it gives me the sense that it doenst stop there at the cage. and the the other side of the screen I have a patio, with chairs, with garde, palm trees, a fire pit. So, every morning, I walk my dog there with my cup of coffee, sit on those chairs, enjoy MUCH better that sun, the wind, the dogs love, to run, I love to hear the palm trees making the noise...I feel free out there FOR SURE. much more than inside of the lanai. But when is time of the mosquitoes, and when is late in the afternoon.... than I sit in the lanai. I guess I got a little of both worlds. I have nothing fancy, but it gives me the freedom of the outdoors, I right there on the other side, looking at the beautiuful pool, taking the pure sun, breathing, and than I move inside. I enjoy. But I do not enjoy the mosquitoes. But this is life.. Make a bigger patio and bigger than your screen, put vases, in key places that kind of disgase the screen. and enjoy both side of the screen :+) different types of the day. By the way, I even hang a hammack on the palm tree on the "free side" with the birds....
Chris Spina, Agent, Bonita Springs, FL
Tue Aug 4, 2015
There's almost no way you would be able to sit outdoors by your pool without a screened-in lanai. It keeps the debris out of the pool and off the deck, keeps out wildlife (frogs, turtles, gators) and the myriad of insects we co-exist with in Naples, Bonita Springs, Estero and the rest of SWFL.
Megan Bower, Agent, Belleair, FL
Sun Jan 15, 2012
Honestly, pool screens (cages) seem to be either a love it or hate it kind of thing. The 'haters' want the outdoor feel and don't want their sun filtered. The lovers like to be able to open their doors out to the pool area and use it as an extension of their home.

The screen does filter the sun - but as a Florida native who has had her share of visits to the dermatologist, that's fine with me. Also, it keeps the pool water cooler. A big plus in the summer!
Murray Balkc…, Agent, Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Fri Aug 27, 2010
I've always thought they were primarily to keep out the pesky mosquitoes, dog flies, deer flies, horse flies, and all of the leaves and pine straw, but I see the answer, "liabilitiy." Typically, a 4ft tall fence is required for liability, but now I'm wondering if the screen actually protects one's liability in a similar manner as the fence. Does anyone know that for certain?
Joan Braunsc…, , Morris County, NJ
Mon Jun 21, 2010
I am not from Naples, obviously, but have been to Florida enough times to hazard a guess:
BUGS!
Alexander Mo…, Agent, Naples, FL
Thu Jul 20, 2017
A screen enclosure has many benefits. It keeps out leaves and other exterior debris from getting into the pool, resulting in additional pool maintenance. It also keeps out animals from enjoying a swim with you. I would say that it enhances the appeal of sitting outdoors while reading a book because you can enjoy the outdoors and sunshine, while avoiding bugs flying around your face.
Pugs19, Home Buyer, Naples, FL
Sat Jan 23, 2016
snakes love to take a swim
Janet Berry, Agent, Naples, FL
Thu Aug 13, 2015
Many homes in Southwest Florida (mainly outside of an association) are being built without pool "cages". I also believe the appeal is enhanced year round as you can keep your sliding doors open if you wish, and it protects your pool from bugs, leaves, etc. A really good friend recently removed their screened-in enclosure when they updated their living area. They love the more open feeling, however they do not like the increased pool maintenance and upkeep associated with no cage.

Cage or no cage, I cannot imagine living anywhere else! :)

Janet Berry
Naples and Southwest Florida Specialist
239-450-1892
Janet@SandCastlePros.com
surgery411, Home Buyer, Boynton Beach, FL
Sat Jul 4, 2015
In my experience, it keeps pool maintenance down by keeping debris out. We can enjoy our deck without being disturbed by insects, gnats, mosquitos, flies, etc. and it provides some indirect sunlight. We can feel the heat of the sun with some deflection from the screening.
Kirsten Priz…, Agent, Naples, FL
Fri Apr 24, 2015
Dear Homebuyer,
a lot of new homes are being built without a screen enclosure, but it is important where you built or buy a home. Some areas have a lot of moskitos' and the screen is protecting from the moskitos' and other bugs. Also check the surrounding landscape, the screen is also keeping out the landscape debris. I had a pool with out a screen enclosure for many years. I liked it much better, but the pool needed much more maintenance, because of the surrounding landscape.

Best Wishes,
Kirsten Prizzi
TMB Realty Inc
Phone: 239-248-1667
Kirsten@NaplesFloridaLuxuryHomes.com
http://www.RealEstateFloridaUSA.com
http://www.LuxuryWaterfrontHomesSWFlorida.com
http://www.Immobilienmakler-in-Florida.com
http://www.LuxusimmobilienFlorida.de
Mosquitos..
Flag Sun Jul 9, 2017
Kirsten Priz…, Agent, Naples, FL
Fri Apr 24, 2015
Dear Homebuyer,

Best Wishes,
Kirsten Prizzi
TMB Realty Inc
Phone: 239-248-1667
Kirsten@NaplesFloridaLuxuryHomes.com
http://www.RealEstateFloridaUSA.com
http://www.LuxusimmobilienFlorida.de
Christina Da…, Home Buyer, Douglas, GA
Wed Mar 18, 2015
We are one of the few that doesn't like our pool enclosure. We live in Georgia. We find the the water temp is significantly decreased. When people are getting in there pools and enjoying them in April/May, we usually don't get to even get in ours until June. Our pool is never a comfortable temp. We don't want to go thru the added expense of a heater. We are probably about to have ours removed. At least if we could swim in it then we wouldn't mind the expense and work of keeping the pool maintained. We didn't install the enclosure ourselves, it was already there when we bought the house.
Definitely if you do not like it, remove it! It definitely changed our life. The maintainib work is not that much unless you have apoinciana almost over it!
Flag Sun Jul 10, 2016
Randy and Vi…, Agent, Punta Gorda, FL
Mon Sep 22, 2014
The appeal for pool & lanai screen enclosures is the they keep the pool and surrounding area cleaner and of course they keep the mosquito and other biting insects out so that you can enjoy the pool year round. And yes it does cut down on the view at time, but many people consider it the lesser of 2 evils.
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Sun Jul 27, 2014
It may be the owners method of trying to keep others away from their pool as a means of limiting their liability or it may be similar to a "screened in porch" with the screening serving to keep the bugs out.
Lori Jeltema, Agent, Suffolk, VA
Sun Aug 4, 2013
I would have to throw in insurance costs. A pool that is not enclosed is a higher risk and the premium is likely to be higher.
now that shitz funny
Flag Tue Jun 7, 2016
I agree with you Freddi...Jenniferlupita, you are an ignorant backwoods idiot.
Flag Sun Feb 22, 2015
Jenniferlupita you are a sad stupid person. There is always one in the group! Hopefully you will be removed shortly.
Flag Mon Sep 22, 2014
Keeps the NI66ERS out too!
Flag Sun Mar 30, 2014
Sharyn Winick, , 33351
Sun Jul 7, 2013
Rest assured screened in lanai's do let the sun in as well as the breezes. A screened in lanai is an asset to the home. You'd not be able to enjoy your lanai without one. It keeps out critters as well as bugs.
Marc Comisar, Agent, Bonita Springs, FL
Sat Jul 6, 2013
http://www.NaplesPropertySearch.com

My wife says it blocks out some of the sun but other than that it is very nice......keeps mosquitos and flys out. Allows you to enjoy a meal on the patio. People want to enjoy being outdoors.....this is just another way to extend those time periods with minimal interference.

jessemcgreevy@gmail.com
239-898-5329
http://www.NaplesPropertySearch.com
Screens also block 20-25% of the sun's rays. This is a good thing for glare, many plants, healthier skin and pool water overheating (yes, it happens) during the hot periods.
Flag Fri Jan 3, 2014
Sharyn Winick, , 33351
Sat Jul 6, 2013
I believe the lanai's are screen in to afford the homeowner a bug free environment. When one has a pool it's a requirement to either screen it in or put up a fense to keep children from accidently falling in. Within the last few years one is also required to install a child guard fence inside the lanai to protect children from falling in.(when building a new pool or home). We built our home in 2000 and at that time it was not a requirement. In addition to the law the screen also keeps out other invaders and dried leaves and debris.
Txmaga, Home Buyer, Naples, FL
Fri Apr 26, 2013
My Son-in-law said that he would like to have a pool without screening until they bought a house without screening. He thought he'd enjoy skimming the pool. That enjoyment lasted about 3 months and then it became a chore. They live in Central FL and have Live Oaks on the property --- leaves AND acorns in the pool!
cbachik, Home Buyer, Elgin, TX
Sun Apr 21, 2013
No it doesn't. My brother lived in Florida and had a screened in patio and pool. It did not detracted at all from the beauty of the house or the pool. It was very nice to sit outside and not be slapping bugs all night or swat at bees. I believe I am going to do the same thing in Texas.
Joelle Osias, Home Buyer, Naples, FL
Thu Mar 21, 2013
That is what i LOVE about that area! Keep the mosquitos out, don't bake in the sun, keep it as clean and free of critters, leaves, and filth as possible, and enjoy it even when it rains or it's windy, and the big bonus: have a nice covered area you can also use for your complete outdoor enjoyment, with exercise equipment, sauna, kitchen, lounge, whatever pleases you! It's wonderful - Now, if you don't like any of these extra bonuses, go buy a house in AZ instead.
Bertil Nordin, Agent, Naples, FL
Sun Mar 3, 2013
We agree pool screens are not attractive. However, they keep birds and critters out. They enable the owner to have lighting on at night. For these reasons, they used by pool owners of most modest to high priced homes in south Florida.
Bert Nordin, Naples, FL
Toni Fellowes, Home Buyer, Pittsburgh, PA
Sat Mar 2, 2013
You almost never see them in upscale neighborhoods. It's mostly where people don't want to spend the money or the time to properly take care of their pool. They are ugly and destroy the curb appeal of your home. Don't listen to the posters that cite bugs and leaves. Please, there are bugs and leaves in all 50 states. It's a marketing ploy and Florida's dimwits fell for it. Face it Florida, if you have a screened in pool, your house is HIDEOUS!
Toni Fellowes = TROLL. Best to ignore it.
Flag Fri Oct 3, 2014
Being from Pittsburgh (Yuck) I don't think you have any right to call Floridians dimwits. Living in Pittsburgh nominates YOU to be the DIMWIT.
Flag Sun Aug 25, 2013
You must not live in an upscale neighborhood. I would say your post is somewhat narrow-minded.
Flag Sun Apr 21, 2013
It prevents evaporation - It keeps the water cooler - It protects your skin as you don't bake in the sun (there is nothing worse when sun reflection on water for your skin) - it protects from skin cancer. it allows you to use your pool regardless of the weather condition, and it gives you a nice enclosed private area where your kids don't wander and unwanted kids don't use your pool when you're not around, which is YOUR liability in most states.
Flag Thu Mar 21, 2013
Of all places on earth, I used to live in Diamond Head, Honolulu, HI - We had so many mosquitos that I would be unable to use the pool without getting a dozen bites each time, and my son and I are allergic to mosquito bites. To each his own, but I could not disagree more with you. curb appeal? the pool is not in your front lawn! bugs and leaves ARE REAL! An outdoor pool is A LOT of upkeep, and you would know if you have ever owned one.
Flag Thu Mar 21, 2013
Andrew Warbu…, Agent, Temecula, CA
Sun Jan 15, 2012
Get the pool screens that remove easily - they help with cleanliness and safety and can be removed when entertaining.
Anna, , Oakwood Manor, Sarasota, FL
Fri Oct 8, 2010
You have to have a screen or fence to get permits , for insurance We have a big poll with 5ft coloumns and aluminum railing looks like a million but my husband did the work he builds, just buy a self cleaner creepy crawly thing I had screen no screen better cheaper insurance, screens get nasty and spiders love them.
junk mail, , Melbourne, FL
Wed Sep 1, 2010
A screen around the pool keeps out bugs, snakes, leaves and other debris but most important it helps keep out neighborhood children that may be tempted to go for a swim. There have been news reports of small children drowning in Florida pools.
BayAreaHomeR…, Agent, Vallejo, CA
Mon Aug 30, 2010
I haven't looked at the other replies, but they all probably have to do with safety. Time and Time again you hear in the news kids that drown because parents just don't watch the kids right. Thats probably the only reason, I mean we want everything to look good like we are Hollywood movie stars, but when it comes to kids and safety, I'll take ugly everyday
Agnes Tabor, Agent, Naples, FL
Mon Aug 30, 2010
All the answers received are relavent.

I have a single family home in Naples with a screened pool and would not have it any other way and my pool man loves it. The screen in no way inhibits my views I remember when we first had our home built it was to be a night of shooting stars in abundance so we set our clock and spent about 45 minutes laying in our chase lounges watching the show. I don'[t think it would have been as much fun if we were watching for bugs etc. also, did you know, that birds will sometimes come swooping down looking for???? for dinner?

There are exceptions when a home is built on the water, the constant winds tend to keep the bug population in check.

My suggestion to my buyers, give serious thought to having a cage built around your pool; it also gives you a feeling of privacy.
Caroline Ang…, Agent, Canfield, OH
Sun Aug 29, 2010
Screened enclosures around the swimming pool are not typical in North Eastern Ohio, however there are safety codes for fencing height around the pool to keep children from getting in without supervision. These enclosures are more common in Florida... I would suspect it is to keep out the golf balls...
Andrew Warbu…, Agent, Temecula, CA
Wed Aug 25, 2010
Liability and child safety. Most of the screens can be removed from a sleeve in the concrete quite easily if the pool is going to be supervised.
Andrew
Sergio Herna…, , Naples, FL
Mon Aug 16, 2010
Screened enclosures are used primarily to help keep the pool free from leaves and other debris.
Web Reference:  http://www.golftobeach.com
Sharon and P…, Agent, Tempe, AZ
Wed Jun 23, 2010
Phoenix law only requires that you have a pool fence or a special type of lock on the door to the pool that would prevent a child from getting outdoors to the pool without supervision. The laws are to protect children. If the Buyer does not have children, they do not have to comply, but there is a swimming pool addendum that all Buyers must sign if there is a pool explaining the law. Florida screens are a completely different animal so to speak. These screens are for keeping snakes, bugs, etc. out of the pool. They do not protect children from drowning. I have relatives in Florida and they have an additional child protection fence within the screened area. I have been outdoors many times sitting within these areas and I did not find the atmosphere was any different. It does shade the area some during the day, but believe me, you still have plenty of sun! Hope this helps!
Rick Jazwin, , Phoenix, AZ
Wed Jun 23, 2010
HI:
In Arizona it is the law to have a fenced in pool area. Child drownings by young ones have cost many families a child. The law is strictly enforced. No matter how viligent a parent is accidents do happen.
Cynthia White, Agent, Merritt Island, FL
Wed Jun 23, 2010
As you can see there is no right or wrong answer. I have a pool cage and screening around my pool and would not change it. When we have guest over I just open the sliders and this makes the home very open to the out doors. I also don't have to worry about what you might find in your pool from time to time. It also gives you some shade in the summertime. You either have to have a pool cage or fence. Of course there is the Bugs and they bite even late at night.
1 2