Quality of Life in 94513>Question Details

dbutts, Other/Just Looking in Brentwood, CA

Which town is the best to live in Contra Costa County?

Asked by dbutts, Brentwood, CA Wed Jan 30, 2013

Best public schools? Most affordable housing?

Answers

8
Luis Ramirez- Agudelo’s answer
Affordability is important. I think the best place is Pleasnt Hill. There are certain parts of Pleasant Hill were you can get a very nice Home, great neighborhood and great schools.
The next step up is Walnut Creek. You have to be carefull to buy within the Walnut Creek School district to enjoy the better schools. From the Walnut Creek School District to Danville is great and less affordable, but great options. if you have any further questions call or email me. Thanks.

Luis Ramirez-Agudelo (925) 567- 6763 Luis@WalnutCreekHomes.com
I certainly hope this doesn't project the wrong attitude toward answering the question. But the answer to that question lies solely in what "best" means to you. And what is important to you. For instance who's got the best weather? If you are looking for the best shopping district you would probably like Walnut Creek, best golf courses one could argue for Brentwood, best schools is a lifelong debate but Orinda, Lafayette and Moraga are always high on that list. If you like the lowest crime rate you can get those stats from the police and multiple websites out there.

I know that some people from certain other cities would frown on a city like Richmond because of crime and other aspects. But I personally know some folks who would never think of leaving Richmond at any price.

To answer that question you have to break it down and ask a dozen other questions. All of which relate to what is important to you. Then you can get some of those answers via statistics found on various websites. Other answers will only come from talking to residents, police officers, mail delivery, realtors etc.

I live in the old town district of Martinez near downtown and I love it!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 30, 2013
Neil, what is the current availability of single family homes in Martinez like? Buy or Rent. Generally speaking, what would one's property taxes run on a $300K home in the city limits of Martinez? Thank you so much for your time!
Flag Thu Jan 31, 2013
Here's some info I found that gives distance to Bart, SF, and costs for housing for all the cities in Contra Costa - all in one table (towards the bottom). It helped me - hope it helps you.

http://myagent.bhhsdrysdale.com/Contra_Costa_Cities_copy/?Id=58703

Best schools? Lafayette, Orinda & Moraga. Best shopping & entertainment? Walnut Creek. Best community for active 55+? Rossmoor. Best bang for the buck (distance to SF/housing costs)? Pleasant Hill or Martinez.
I guess that would depend on your needs, wants for your family and of course affordability. Brentwood is great but so is Walnut Creek, Martinez, some areas of Concrd.
In Contra Costa it's simply being able to get a home in an area that you can afford. For example 300k will buy a nice single family in Brentwood or a Condo in Walnut Creek. Forget about Danville, Alamo, Lafayette and the rest of the 243 corridor. All the rest is academic.
It really does depend on your lifestyle and priorities. I have lived in El Sobrante, Orinda, Pleasant Hill, Danville, San Ramon and Walnut Creek. I enjoyed all of them. Just me and my wife - no children in schools, of course. There are some great school districts in Contra Costa and I am personally familiar with those covering the area from San Ramon to Walnut Creek and Lamorinda. All great schools. Housing affordability is something else though. San Ramon and Walnut Creek are more affordable but it is all relative. Prices are rising again.

You can check out all the schools at http://www.greatschools.com.
Best is a really subjective question and is the one that gets agents into trouble. A lot of it depends on your lifestyle, values and the things you want to find in a community. Brentwood is in my opinion the best community for me. There is a quality of life in a city that is healthy financial. decent schools and good police force. Lots of things to do for my family. Best of all it is affordable compared to other communities in central county.

Other people feel it is too expensive compared to Oakley or Antioch. There are people in Central County who feel East County is too far away for them. It is very subjective.

Please contract me if you have any questions. I am a Brentwood Broker.