Quality of Life in Charlotte>Question Details

Chris, Home Buyer in out of the country p...

Which neighborhoods in and around Charlotte would you recommend your family or friends not to buy in and why?

Asked by Chris, out of the country presently Sat Sep 22, 2007

I am gathering information for a move to NC. Charlotte is on the final list of potential places within the state that we are considering. We are a middle income family (teachers salary). We want to be careful where to buy and since we are out of the country I thought I would ask for advice on this. So where would you advise a loved one not to look? Names of neighborhoods or areas in general (i.e south west, north east, central, etc.) will be appreciated.

Here's the cool thing about Charlotte: there's something for everyone and it really depends on your needs, wants, and desires. For example, start by thinking what are some things you'd like to live near? Do you run often or is having major shopping nearby a big deal. What's your ideal commute time like? Do you want a rural feel or something more suburban. In what things would you be willing to compromise on and what are your must haves? If having an 1/2 acre of land is a must have, that will also dictate your location. When you have those answers, they will guide you to exactly where you should be to make you guys happy.

My wife and I relocated here to the south of town and absolute love it. Charlotte is a great area and its still one of the fastest growing areas in the country with 50,000 new people a year calling this place home.

Sorry to be vague in my answer however this the very first step to discovering a buyer's needs to assist them in finding the right house in the right location at the right price.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 23, 2007
There certainly isn't One answer to this question,and there are legal limitations to what we can say about neighborhoods etc-- but I can direct you to a great relocation site, CharlotteCommunities.net. They have school info, neighborhood discussions, business and family links, etc.
One thing is for sure it is a buyers market and gthe area needs teachers! Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools is the big guy on the block-- but there is Union/Iredell and Cabarrus close by. All have websites withhelp wanted info. Good Luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 22, 2007
Chris, I am from Charlotte originally and will just say that it is a great place to live. The city of Charlotte and surrounding cities and town have so much to offer. I would say if you know nothing about the City, I would start at the Chamber's website: http://www.charlottechamber.com
Then I would suggest working with a good buyer's agent. I can refer you to several good people that I know could help you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 22, 2007
To buy or not to buy in an area depends on the type of neighborhood and the amenities that you want nearby. It also has something to do with commute times if you are going to be traveling to a specific location for your job. I suggest that you make a list of the most important characteristics that you seek in a neighborhood, including things like commute times, schools, urban or rural and of course price range of house. Once you've made the list, you can begin to narrow your search. For information on the community characteristics of areas on the south side of Charlotte, check out my website listed below.
I moved to Charlotte from New Orleans 11 yrs. ago. It is a wonderful city full of great people and lots to do. I agree with Layla check out Charmeck.org to find the area that's right for you.
From personal experience, definitely us Charmeck.org. Search for "Quality of Life" and that will give helpful information. Quality of life will also categorize each neighborhood. I should have used before moving. Best of luck in your move!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 22, 2007
As real estate agents, we are not allowed to direct people to one community or another. It's called "steering" and we can lose our licenses for doing it.
The best thing to do is get in touch with a local agent who will be able to give you information regarding schools and crime stats so that you can decide for yourself which area looks to be the one you would like to move to.
If you don't know where to look for a local US agent and no one from Trulia responds, my company is a member of LRE-Leading Real Estate Companies of the World. We have connections everywhere and can recommend a good local office for you. Contact me through my website where you can also find crime and school stats on your own.
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com

I am in the Raleigh area and do not know much about Charlotte. Since you are out of the country, please get a good agent to help you with this move!

I can give you several referalls to fantastic agents in the Charlotte area. They have all been in the business for years and would be perfect to help you get to know the city before you buy.

Best Wishes!