Which NJ Beach town is best for Midtown Manhattan commuters? I might be able to work at home sometimes, but generally I will have to go in most days.

Asked by Tirednewyorker, New York, NY Sat Oct 10, 2009

I cannot afford Manhattan anymore, but I do not want to be exhausted getting back and forth. Thanks.

Answers

6
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Thu Oct 21, 2010
So tell us Tirednewyork..............................you asked this question over a year ago...........where did you wind up buying?
Dennis Ellis…, , New York, NY
Thu Oct 21, 2010
Check out Long Branch which is the first "beach" town on the Shoreline. It has gone through substantial redevelopment in recent years. If you drive, it is an hour trip. If you bus or train, it is about an hour and a half.
R, Home Buyer, Brooklyn, NY
Sat Nov 21, 2009
Hey there,

Here's your straight answer from a NJ shore native and resident for 25 years: anything south of Long Branch is going to be a hellish 2 hour commute via NJ Transit train, unless you're on a bus heading north at 5am. I'd say Atlantic Highlands is your best bet- the high-speed ferry is right there, and it has a small town feel yet not too far removed from everything. Numbers-wise, Long Branch is about 1 1/2 hours (one-way) via train from Penn Station; you'll need to transfer there for connections to the other shore towns. Point Pleasant and Bayhead, the southernmost stops on the North Jersey Coast train line, are 2 hours (one-way) from Penn Station.

Have you considered Brooklyn? If you can afford the rent, and don't need a lot of space, it's the best for commuting to Midtown...Good luck!

P.S. Cherry Hill is closer to Philadelphia than New York...don't waste your time.
Jo-Ellen Ash…, Agent, New York, NY
Sun Oct 11, 2009
MONMOUTH BEACH, NJ! Absolutely! Awesome town, check it out! Geographically, it's an easy drive to NY as it's a northern beach town, easy train ride to NYC, the bus to Manhattan stops several places, AND it's a 5 minute drive to the high-speed ferry to Manhattan! Reasonable taxes, town beach club, walk to everything, including Pier Village in Long Branch. You'll love it!
Jo-Ellen Ashby
RVP, Weichert, Realtors
Robert Green…, Agent, Cherry Hill, NJ
Sun Oct 11, 2009
Yes, I agree with Debbie's answer. I am an agent in southern New Jersey and a former New Yorker. Do you want to live next to the beach...or near it? A lot of people in the Cherry Hill area comute to NYC via bus or train. Another option might be to consider Long Island. Long Beach NY is a beach town with Long Island Railroad service to NYC.

Robert Greenblatt
Keller Williams
Cherry Hill
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sun Oct 11, 2009
Hi Tired........(get some sleep!!) :)

I am in northern NJ, but know that many commute to the city from the shore. How long of a commute can you tolerate?
You might want to check out the NJ transit website for train information.
http://www.NJTransit.com

I am sure a few "shore" agents will come along and tell you about their areas............Asbury Park is being revitalized.....Long Branch has the new Pier Village with shops and restaurants...........there are so many towns to choose from......much will also depend on your price range.

Good luck................enjoy living "down the shore" (that's how we refer to it in NJ !)

Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties

PS If you decide you prefer northern NJ (30 min midtown direct train ride)........give me a call !!
Best wishes..........!
Just stumbled on this posting while looking to relocate for position in lower Manhattan but partner is retired and looking for beach community. So we need a location with beach community and ferry service... any leads?
Flag Thu Jun 29, 2017