Where do you recommend a family of six (four children ages 9, 6, 5 and 2 mo. old) move in the Greensboro

Asked by E Porter, Raleigh, NC Mon Apr 7, 2008

area. We are currently living in town Raleigh and our children attend an excellent public elementary. Unfortunately it seems the better public schools in Guilford County are outside the city limits. We love a neighborhood that is convenient to town ... any advice?

Answers

7
Kathy Pollok, , Greensboro, NC
Tue Apr 22, 2008
I am a real estate broker in Greensboro and I have lived in northwest Greensboro for over 25 years. I raised all three of my children in Guilford County schools and was a very active volunteer in the school system as well as in the community with children's activities. The northwest part of the city around Friendly Shopping Center is the most convenient area in town and the schools here are very popular. My children went to Sternberger Elementary, Kiser Middle, and Grimsley High. As someone else mentioned, if you view the school website, you will find statistics which will show those schools as having some of the best scores in the county. They all enjoy excellent parent participation, and I wouldn't have had my children anywhere else! I am also very familiar with the preschools and other children's activities in this area. I will be happy to help you find a house for your family if you want to contact me!
Thanks!

Kathy Pollok
Jim Gibson, Agent, Asheboro, NC
Wed Apr 16, 2008
My advice is to look south to Randolph County. Taxes are lower and there is more room for the kids. Visit my website, jimsellsthetriad.net, and look for properties in the Randlman, Trinity, and Archdale areas. That will put you close to Guilford County, but will give you many extras that add to quality of life. You might even get a better deal on the house.
Web Reference:  http://jimsellsthetriad.net
Mark Vuncan…, Agent, Asheboro, NC
Mon Apr 7, 2008
with that many kids, I recommend you move near a day care. maybe even a church, your going to need lots of prayer.

On a serious note, look at the Guilford County School site to see who has the best scores. That school will be on the wish list for a lot of buyers in your situation. Then look at the number 2 and 3. These schools should be excellent, but you will not have to pay a premium of a home in a desired area.

Having no kids, I make no recommendation on a school. All the schools in Guilford County are under the same system, so it will not matter if they are inside or outside the city limits. Guilford County is growing so you will not have any trouble finding a good school in a good area that is close to everything you need.

Like the rest of the agents that have answered, call or email me if you need any more help.
Mark Vuncannon
Trollinger Real Estate Professionals
mark@trollingerrealestate.com
800-849-8919
PS You will enjoy selling your home. In Feb, Raleigh was the Number 1 sellers market in the entire US.
Andrew J. Co…, , Greensboro, NC
Mon Apr 7, 2008
Good question. Your children are all at critical stages in their lives. Moves can be traumatic, so if this is your definite plan, the sooner the better. The Guilford County School system is very transparent and more than happy to provide private tours and consultations to prospective parents and children. Please let me know if I can help arrange a series of school “interviews” for you and your family.

I am a native of Greensboro and give good citywide tours. Given your close proximity, a driving tour of the city would be in order. Call or email if interested. In any event, best of luck with your future plans.

Andrew J. Courts, Jr.
Crenshaw, Jenkins & Associates
Managing Broker
336.402.4118
Courts@CrenshawJenkins.com
http://www.CrenshawJenkins.com
http://www.AnchorRealtyNetwork.com
http://www.ItsMyNeighborhood.com
Michelle Ken…, , Greensboro, NC
Mon Apr 7, 2008
I have three small children myself so I completely understand your concerns. Guilford County Schools has several magnet schools/programs that many parents find appealing. I would strongly suggest that you check out the Guilford County Schools website (it also features information about how each school performed in the last year, etc.) http://www.gcsnc.com There are lots of great, convenient neighborhoods with strong schools. I live in one myself. I'd be more than happy to speak with you if you have any other questions.
Larry Story, Agent, Greensboro, NC
Mon Apr 7, 2008
E.
Yes there are some brand new schools outside the city but there are some inside also. Over towards Friendly avenue it all depends on what exactly you are looking for. What is your timeline for wanting to relocate for one? Then are you also needing good daycare? These and of course the basics of how many beds and bathrooms you are wanting. Some of the areas of Greensboro are a little higher priced simply because of the neighborhood. You could find the same house in a different neighborhood down the street for anywhere from $100,000 to $50,000 less. So like any city we have our older established neighborhoods that just have a name and can demand more in price for that. If you need any help navigating the different areas of my city just let me know. I would be glad to help.

Larry Story
Coldwell Banker Triad
larry.story@coldwellbanker.com
Len Montgome…, Agent, High Point, NC
Mon Apr 7, 2008
To best answer this question, it is necessary to know a bit more about other family needs. Where will you be working? Commuting? Tele-commuting? There are many good neighborhoods in Guilford County, in nearly any direction you may want to go with good schools. Northwest, or the Summerfield area is quite nice, can be a little pricey and little more difficult to find good rentals. Southeast along the Hwy 421S corridor offers many good opportunities. My personal favorite (where I live) is Southwest, in High Point. It is a very thriving economy, good schools, and centrally located to be convenient to anything in the Triad. And since the new I-40 ByPass has opened you can be anywhere on the opposite side of town fairly quickly. E-mail me if you'd like to know more info based on a wider criteria match: Len@LenMontgomery.com