Quality of Life in 07030>Question Details

john.carver, Home Buyer in Hoboken, NJ

Where are the best small towns in NJ where I can commute to Jersey City?

Asked by john.carver, Hoboken, NJ Mon Mar 18, 2013

I am an executive relocating from Florida. My wife and I are in our early 50's so we don't need to worry about schools. Want small town feel but with upscale restuarants, bars, etc. and within reasonable rail and road commute to Jersey City. I've heard of Morristown and Montclair, both nice, but curious as to others.

Answers

6
Michael Personette’s answer
So many great location along the gold cost!! If you would like more information please call me directly at 201 848 2068 or email me mrp@grouptwentysix.com
-I can send you all the information about the area I have currently been living in the neighborhood for 15 years.
Well, I personally am fond of Jersey City itself. The Downtown area has a growing number of very good restaurants and bars. It also is a real community of Victorian brownstones and new luxurious high-rises, most with spectacular NYC views. I am an over 35 year resident and would love to show you what Jersey City has to offer. Please contact me if you'd like more information.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 18, 2013
Much will depend on your budget, but certainly the two towns you mentioned are great communities and both would have more of an urban suburban feel to them. I would not describe them as small towns. But if you are looking for towns with an urban/suburban flair, the Morristown, Summit and Westield are all worth considering.

Because you do not need to go all the way into the city, your options open and and you can travel on the roadways and/or trains to get to your office. I would add to your list the many wonderful communities along the 78 corridor, New Providence, Berkeley Heights, Watchung, Basking Ridge, Warren. All of these communities have train access except Watchung and Warren, but they are right across 78 from the communities that do.

I work with many relocation buyers and would be honored to assist you.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 18, 2013
I would definitely recommend hoboken as the light rail takes about 10 minutes (max) depending on where in JC you are commuting to. There are also a wide variety of restaurants to eat at, varying from upscale to bar food. There is easy transport to the city (via either bus or PATH) and you definitely get that small town feel. I will caution however that you look more towards "uptown" (i.e. roughly 6 to 8th street and up) as downtown is a bit younger crowd.
How is Hoboken health wise? Are there good Pilates Studios, Gym? What about the quality of supermarkets?
Flag Sun Feb 23, 2014
I grew up in Jersey City and my family wanted to stay close when we moved out. We chose Rutherford and now my entire immediate family has relocated here. It's a short commute to Hoboken, Jersey City and New York City. There plenty of restaurants on Park Ave in the center of town but no bars since it's a dry town. They have a great rail system right in town that will take you to Hoboken or to Secaucus. From Hoboken you can take the path into NYC or light rail to Jersey City (or just hang out in Hoboken). From Secaucus you can catch a train to Penn Station and be in the center of NYC in under 15 minutes.

If you are looking for a small town close to Jersey City don't over look Rutherford.
Hi John:

You may also wish to look into Weehawken, which is just a ston'e throw to New York City, atop the Palisades while also bordering on the Hudson River York Skyline and the Hudson River. While it is so close to Hoboken, Jersey City and New York City itself, it is a small town atmosphere (only about t13,000 population) within about only 1.2 miles of land area. The real estate tax rate is lower than most other surrounding communities and the housing stock is quite varied. There is a broad range of people of different cultures making it quite urban, yet again, with an overall small town feel. The housing stock ranges from lovely small cooperative units with or without a view of trhe River, to mid size condominiums in pre-war buildings, to total luxury units in midrise buildings down on the wterfront itself, to luxury 4-story townhomes on the river, to stately 100+ year old Victorian homes, row houses, smaller more modest single family, two family and three family dwellings. Prices can range for a home from in the area of approximately $500,000 to over $5,000,000 and condominiums from as low as $200,000 for a small one bedroom to $2,000,000 for a luxury unit on the waterfront. Weehawken hosts not only the Lincoln Tunnel, making access to New York City and all it has to offer, literally 15 minutes away, but also has the benefit of not only bus service,, but ferry service to Midtown, downtown and Wall Street in NY, and a Light Rail train which can be taken from Weehawken all the way through Hoboken (several stops in Hoboken), to Jersey City (also several stops in JC) and all the way to Bayonne, NJ (just across the bridge from Staten Island).
There are unobstructed views of the River and Skyline all the length of Weehawken's prominade viewing area, and zoning does not permit that view to ever be impeded by future buildings.
There is a lot happening in the way of additional development on the Waterfront area of Weehawken which will include a lower rise hotel, mixed use condo/ / rental / retail development and a wonderful several acres public recreation area including free tennis, running track, basketball, baseball/softball fields, soccer field, (eventual outdoor theater for nice weather concerts, etc.) and Weehawken enjoys a pedestrian riverfront walkway all along the Hudson River.
Currently, there is a Pathmark supermarket in the upper area of Weehawken, as well as several Mom and Pop establishments like restaurants, dry cleaners, salons, flower shops, delicatessens, DunkinDonuts,Subway, etc. There is a Houlihan's, a Ruth Chris, a Chart House and a Japanese restaurant on the waterfront in Weehawken now and more to come as the development progresses.
Many people have eventually settled into Weehawken from New York City because it is often easier to get to places within the City than from within the City itself. It has artists, entertainers, professionals of all kinds, musicians, restaurantuers, designers, blue collar folks, and people from all walks of life.
Montclair is a lovely area (also with diversity of populaiton), but not as easy access to the City or Jersey City, and the same goes for Morristown. It's a pretty long commute from Morristown to Jersey City, but Morristown is also a lovely community
So, depending upon whether you want quieter and more removed from the City areas, or whether you would like to enjoy a sense of small town with much easier access to everything, would certainly all weigh in on your decision as to where to settle.

I hoe this information gives you insight into another option and if I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Barbara Tulko
RE/MAX Villa Realtors
201-218-4009 (cell)
201-868-3100 x300