Where are the affordable retirement community for fine artists?

Asked by Karen, Ambler, PA Tue Apr 29, 2008

I'm a single, mature, professional fine artist looking to relocate and eventually retire to an affordable artist community. It should be an area that is not at risk for gentrification. I love city living but would consider other options if it is a strong creative, vibrant and supportive area, close to or containing active cultural venues. It would be a bonus it the area also attracted art buyers. I'd like a laid back but non-hippie lifestyle. Where can I find such a place?

Answers

21
Ardcinc, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Sat Nov 19, 2016
I'm a NYX Artist who moved to Northern CA and have 3 home that I've been working at remodeling to be low-cost live/work spaces for retired artists. It is near BART which can take you to Berkeley, Oakland or SF in less than an hour but is in a quasi-rural quiet area where RE is not that costly. Let me know if you are interested in helping make this a thriving arts community for Seniors. ARDCinc@gmail.com
Intrigued and serious. Can you please expand on detail?
Flag Sat May 13, 2017
Retiring is never an option. Creating until all else fails. Now believing communal living would be best and productive with said influence. West Coastal best.
Overeseas most of my life. Now Seattle’s residency is Mortgage free, as I.
Ideas open to share, co-own or on my own.
michael newman
Flag Tue Feb 21, 2017
michael newman
Flag Tue Feb 21, 2017
Pickles1352, Home Buyer, Lady Lake, FL
Sun Aug 28, 2016
Let me know when you find it , I would be interested also
Thanks,K
I'm in! I'm an artist in New Orleans. At 66 yo I'm looking for 4 seasons art community. Open for any suggestions. I've heard about Mexico, what have you herd?
Flag Sun Aug 13, 2017
Marykayreitm…, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Tue Jun 7, 2016
I too am in the same boat though a bit younger (60). I've been thinking of the future since graduating with a BFA in 2014. I love the idea of earth homes in a communal setting. This would be good for us and for the environment. I don't believe at this time in our lives with solar, wind and recycling that we should have to spend money monthly on utility bills. There could be raised gardens and an art center with big kitchen for canning and one family style meal in the evening. Everyone could have their own small earth friendly home...getting together for art classes and a meal in the communal building which would be the hub of the community. This is what I dream of and would love to make it come true. Currently saving money for land and would love to hear from others that share a love and reverence for nature and the arts.
I live in Minnesota and am ready to escape the "icebox" of cold winters. I am 67, retired, paint and draw and enjoy hiking, kayaking and biking. Did you start an art community?
Flag Wed Jan 4, 2017
I'm looking for the same kind of place, Mary Kay. I live in Bergen County, NJ and I'm looking for a place where I can be alone when I want to be but still be a part of a community of like minded artists and eclectics.
I also want to move somewhere where I can have stable, dry weather for my rheumatoid disease as the NYC area weather will finally kill me if I stay here any longer.
I'm going to miss working in the arts in NYC but chronic pain is not letting me work anyway.
Time to find a new place to be able to create, be with others artists and be as close to happy as I can get. Getting sick of my resting pain caused b**** face!
LMK if you hear of anything and I will let you know if I hear of something.
Looking at a place in the mountains not far from Tucson, Az. Cooler temps than other parts of Az but I don't drive or have a car and in that sense Tucson is far away for medical reasons. I could rent a car but I don't know. Its also pretty far from the ocean.
San Diego is 6 hours.
Flag Fri Jun 17, 2016
Tina Jones, Agent, El Paso, TX
Wed Mar 27, 2013
There is a community of artists in Las Cruces, NM, as well as El Paso, TX. As a matter of fact, there is a home on the market (actually a Bed and Breakfast, but can be sold as a home) which would be ideal for a few artists to live in, and have their own separate quarters. It's a Santa Fe style hacienda built around a courtyard, situated high on a mesa. Youd have the tranquility of the desert and still be between 2 metropolitan areas (roughly 20 minutes from Las Cruces and 20 minutes to El Paso.) The address is 405 Mountain, La Union, NM, if you need more information.
Tina, I live in Northern NM and wish to be south ... I've shoveled enough snow. I want a small place to create, close to schools where I can still teach or substitute for a couple more years.
Flag Sun Jan 29, 2017
does 303 lakeridge rd 76108 lakeside tx home have a view through the sliding glassdoor into the sunroom
Flag Sun Jun 19, 2016
I just found this thread. I want to form an intentional artists community in NM- I'm a Theatre producer, director and acting/writing coach wanting to move from NYC. Would love to communicate with like minded people.
Flag Sun Sep 7, 2014
Samsma9, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Thu Aug 17, 2017
I'd like to create a retirement community for artists. There would be affordable patio homes and apartments. Gated community would have a theatre just outside the gates with an art gallery in the lobby. It would be open to the public so they could purchase paintings or see a theatre production. A sound studio for musicians would also be available. This community would consist of musicians, theatre people and artists. There are already a lot of ex-New Yorkers who have moved to the Columbia and are looking for a community that allows them affordable living while continuing with their arts.

Unfortunately, we don't have the money to start one. But if we did, we'd sell out fast!
sbader.re, Home Buyer, Greenport, NY
Fri Apr 28, 2017
I am too. But must be on the ocean.
Did you find a place ?
For the person with rheumatoid arthritis. ..who can't take the cold...have you checked out San Miguel Allende...Mexico ? It''s in the mountains. I haven't been...but perhaps you'd like.
Flag Fri Apr 28, 2017
Newman_shin, Home Buyer, Seattle, WA
Tue Feb 21, 2017
michael newman
rosiesdevils, Home Buyer, Myrtle Beach, SC
Mon Feb 13, 2017
I have to admit that I am an amateur pastelist from NJ who snowbirds in Myrtle Beach SC which lacks what I need to remain active in art. We are looking into Beaufort SC which has groups like "ARTworks", a group with master artists who have meetings, shows and offers workshops. We want a coastal community which doesn't cater to tourists..
Mon Feb 13, 2017
My husband and I spend our winters in Myrtle Beach and the rest of the year in NJ. I used to work up there with a group of like minded pastelists but our group fell apart due to moves etc. Myrtle Beach has nothing for me. I am looking for a coastal community preferably on the small side without a lot of tourists. Beaufort, SC looks very interesting especially with "ARTworks" an art group with master artists who do workshops, shows etc. Homes are about the same prices as Myrtle Beach but less tourists. That means about half the cost of housing in NJ. If anyone knows of something similar, please post for me.
Solmais, Home Buyer, Seattle, WA
Tue Jun 21, 2016
Let me know - if "creation " begins .Am 71 and wondering where I can find bright people of like minds ..
Step12kingst…, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Fri Jul 31, 2015
No tornadoes or earthquakes, no shlock art, no drunks, any thing else, especially affordable, would be OK. Please let me know if anything happens. . . .
Are you still looking or have you found an art community for older artists...I agree, no schlocky work or home craft...artists with BFA or better and work with content...lovers of philosophy, literature, not best sellers. No drinks, earthquakes tornadoes and may I add hurricanes.
I'm 69 and looking for an active art community in which to age in place, paint, teach perhaps adjunct, and mingle in an intellectually stimulating community. No golf, please, but yes to birding.
Flag Fri Mar 17, 2017
I have been looking for the same thing. Has anyone found an answer. I found an artist community center near LA. The rent is high but the location seems to be Great!
Flag Fri Nov 13, 2015
levental.nel…, Home Buyer, Charlotte, NC
Wed Feb 11, 2015
I am in the same boat! Would love to form an interested group and see what can we do about it.
Hi Nelli, any luck with that new age artist group??
Flag Fri Jul 31, 2015
christelhm, , New York, NY
Thu Jun 20, 2013
I am just viewing this site now and am sure I am too late in catching up with your very good idea, one that almost came to fruition with me a few years ago. All went well and then I needed surgery and from then on it has not stopped, until now a few years later.
My idea was to jointly rent a large home with plenty of bedrooms and bathrooms, have extra space to set up for teaching varieties of arts and crafts and hopefully share our pets . We would need a large, fenced yard for our pets to roam in, a good size kitchen to cook our great meals in and have enough room to be private.
I am a 69 year young single female with a kind, liberal outlook on just about everything. I do have some joint problems which occassionally need medical help but my good spirits always win. If you are still in a situation to contemplate a personal art co op, please get in touch.
We can decide jointly what our list of requirements for the survival of quality living will be.
Personally I vote for Austin, TX where I have lived for many years. I received my BFA from the U of T.
Austin is hot literally but much more so as a city which offers deep roots of distinct cultures.
wjwillia47, Home Buyer, Galveston, TX
Sun Jun 16, 2013
I had no idea so many others were in the same "Boomer-Artist" boat. It would be beneficial to be part of an artist community where I actually have people around who understand what eclectic means.I live south of Houston and I am retiring end of this year. I DO NOT like the options I see available. I want to sell my condo and live with a few artists, but maintain my independence. I do not need a golf course! I want to paint! I absolutely love the water and want to be able to show/sell my paintings/giclee prints. I would like to find an area beneficial to everyone. I am a 66 woman, healthy, very active, great with computer arts as well.Who's interested? How do we make this thing gel?
Friends and I all 66 age teachers are ready to stop and create our own art.. if anyone knows of a sweet community please let me know.
Flag Sun Jan 29, 2017
Marcia Casey, Home Buyer, 16301
Wed Mar 27, 2013
I have been looking as well. And I too am a mature woman I was just starting to look at Oil city pa
Martzart, Home Buyer, Saint Louis, MO
Wed Mar 6, 2013
Hi Karen:
I am also a single mature woman fine artist and looking for the same kind of community you are.
I live in St. Louis and there is nothing like that here. Maybe we could form a group and start one
somewhere? If you locate such a place please let me know .. Don't even consider Branson, it's the tackiest place in Missouri. But there are still nice undeveloped areas and very pretty small towns in the St. Louis radius. However, our climate is not so great. "Life is short, art is long"
Martha
Nerue11, Home Buyer, Walnut Creek, CA
Tue Nov 27, 2012
May I suggest Branson, Mo. - entertainment capitol of the midwest.
Von Allen, Home Buyer, Utah
Mon Jun 27, 2011
YES!! Can we form a group and look together>? I"m lost in this search.
find me on FB
facebook.com/von.allen
Sal, , Arizona City, AZ
Sat Jan 8, 2011
I've been living in a very wonderful artists'community in Mexico; San Miguel de Allende. I wouldn't cosider moving except for medical concerns. So now I'm looking for a community in the U.S. that has a vibrancy that stimulates with variety and depth with people being the most important and various cultural options being second. The community has to be politically conscious and on the Left. Easy access to big city life, more or less even tempuratures, and affordability are also requirements. Also need public transporation; don't want the headache of dealing with a car. Got any ideas? Would love to communicate with folks about this. Look forward to hearing from you.
Writer To Re…, Home Owner, Marietta, GA
Tue Nov 16, 2010
Yours is an old question and I have no idea if you are still looking for an answer. I didn't think the one you got fit your question. I am also looking for what you are and coming from the inner city (Chicago) and growing up in an Italian household in the 60's I want a bohemian, eclectic community not a retirement home. I am a writer and I also do design work. I'd love to brainstorm if you want. I now live in Georgia and I am on the verge of starting a community of my own! It's very inexpensive to live here and things have changed as for the polictical and cultural climate over the last decade I've spent.
I have a writers group and you can contact me through that. Maybe enough people like us can make a town!
Christina
http://www.meetup.com/writers-863/about/
Heather, , Burlington, WI
Mon Feb 16, 2009
Hi, Karen
Are you still looking for an affordable retirement community for fine artists?
I know of a great area - Hot Springs and Hot Springs Village, AR - "The Village" is a gated community with golf courses, lakes, hiking trails and more. Hot Springs is about 30 minutes away and has SEVERAL art galleries. http://www.hotsprings.org/things_to_do/the_arts/
My parents live in "The Village" and my dad, who is kind of an amateur artist loves to visit the galleries.
My brother is a realtor there in Hot Springs Village - see the web reference below.
Web Reference:  http://www.hsvrealty.com
I'man artist from NYC that has control over 3 homes in Northern CA and has been trying to get other artitsts interested in developing this into low-cost live/work spaces as an Senior Artists/Writers community for 3 years, but cannot find like-minded folks. If you are interested, please get back to me, ARDCinc@gmail.com
Flag Sat Nov 19, 2016