What's going on? I haven't seen any houses with back or side load garages, few fenced backyards. Cloned ugly

Asked by , Sun Dec 14, 2008

They look like they've all been literally "thrown up" just to make a buck. No alleys. Living rooms that aren't & don't have fireplaces & if one does it's dinky & there's a huge hole for these gigantic tv's. Kitchens that don't have hardware nor enough cabinets. No crown molding, no character, no warmth, no landscaping, etc. And then what about the supposed neo-traditional neighborhoods? They are so expensive, it defeats the original purpose of them. This is depressing! I'd heard such neat things about CO. & my cousin was trying to talk us into moving there. Can anyone suggest someplace in the state that might have some decent houses with character with good schools, please?

Answers

3
Betina Forem…, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Dec 15, 2008
Dear Awesome27,
The lack of side entry or alley/rear entry garages is due to new home builders selling narrower lots. If the lot is 60 feet or less there is not enough frontage on the lot for a side entry garage to be feasible. Side entry and rear/alley entry garages are usually the sign of a more expensive neighborhood. Your neighbors are never exposed to the "stuff" in your garage every time you pull in to the garage. Since developers tend to squeeze in as many home on the land as possible and they have done away with the alley behind the house with a rear garage. Some call it progress, I call it bad form and greed on the part of the developer. You might try looking in an older neighborhood to obtain these features in a home. The older homes may not have the open floor plan that is popular today, but typically you do have much larger lots and the aforementioned amenities. Older neighborhoods also have large mature trees which can be a huge asset visually as well as providing shade and lower electric bills.

I would contact a Realtor in Colorado that could help you sift through the cookie cutter homes to find something that suits your needs. I know a few great Realtors in CO, if you tell me what city you are interested in, I can send you someone qualified to help you find the right home.

Betina Foreman Realtor
Austin Texas
Web Reference:  http://www.BetinaForeman.com
Suz A, Agent, Longmont, CO
Thu Mar 10, 2011
*** UPDATE ...

Awesome27, I'm sorry your search did not find us in 2008.

The answer to your question is Longmont.

You could be living in a home with a garage in the rear of the home. Though, many folks are forgoing living rooms because they don't use them, there are homes with rooms that are big enough for a couch and a baby grand piano.

"Huge holes" in walls are unnecessary here in the future - except as a place to store electronics other than a TV screen. Another great innovation: wireless Internet. No need for expensive cabling to the study.

Lot sizes are the most notable change with respect to newer builds. And these days, builders are building smaller. They're also building homes that are smarter with even more efficient appliances and other energy-saving features.

Here in the future, homes are more affordable. With interest rates at historic lows and prices that have fallen, a new or existing home is more affordable than ever. And that means you can consider solar and other upgrades that you might not have thought affordable in '08.

Schools here are good to excellent.

I'm sorry your cousin had not heard about Longmont.

This great city is still here.

SuZ
PML of Longmont, Colorado
720.810.0683
Web Reference:  http://www.suzrealestate.com
Brian Burke, Agent, Highlands Ranch, CO
Mon Dec 15, 2008
where are you looking at here in Colorado? the Denver Metro area?
What price are you looking at.
Let me know and I will get you some homes you may like.
please use our site for your searches http://www.kennarealestate.com