What is the quality of tap water like in SF?

Asked by Trulia San Francisco, San Francisco, CA Mon Dec 17, 2012

Answers

17
Kara Blader’s answer
Kara Blader, Home Owner, Salt Lake City, UT
Wed Oct 9, 2013
Each city will have different tap water quality. For instance, we have to get water delivery in Calgary because the tap water isn't the best. I would check with other locals to see what they do.
Alison Hillm…, , San Francisco, CA
Thu Feb 7, 2013
I have lived in SF for 5 years and have never owned a filter water pitcher. When I am in friends' homes that use a water pitcher, they explain that they just use it to keep water cold. The water tastes and looks fresh and based on the below answers, I have no interest in changing my game plan!
Helen Yuen, Agent, Oakland Ca 94605, CA
Mon Dec 17, 2012
The water quality is excellent because SF's water supply comes directly from Hetch Hetchy
reservior of Yosemite National Park.

SF is the owner of Hetch Hetchy.

SF is safer to drink then bottled water.

Helen Yuen, Open Home Professionals (415) 583-3535
Tour a home today!
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Sun Nov 17, 2013
Check out http://www.FindASpring.com. it's a collection of fresh water springs all around the world. I haven't had tap water in a year!
sadfr, , 94110
Sun Nov 17, 2013
the water used to taste better when there was just chlorine in it,

now they use chloramine

Chloramines, like chlorine, are toxic to fish and amphibians at levels used for drinking water. Unlike chlorine, chloramines do not rapidly dissipate on standing. Neither do they dissipate by boiling. Fish owners must neutralize or remove chloramines from water used in aquariums or ponds. Treatment products are readily available at aquarium supply stores. Chloramines react with certain types of rubber hoses and gaskets, such as those on washing machines and hot water heaters. Black or greasy particles may appear as these materials degrade. Replacement materials are commonly available at hardware and plumber supply stores.

http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/uscities.asp
Trevor Johns…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Thu Nov 14, 2013
San Francisco has some of the best tap water in the nation. Always tastes great and I actually prefer it to bottled water.
Jonathan Ric…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Tue Sep 17, 2013
You've already had some decent answers to your question, but as this is one of my favorite San Francisco facts I'm gonna toss my answer in too: San Francisco's tap water comes directly from the Hetch Hetchy Dam up in Yosemite.

It's consistently rated as some of the cleanest tap water in the entire world: http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisco/sfs-tap-water-among-c…

Plus San Francisco's plumbing unions only use copper pipes in homes. Copper provides the highest water quality, is extremely durable, and is completely biostatic.

Jon
Lance King, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Thu Sep 12, 2013
It's true our water source is great, but it has to pass through piping that may or may not add some not so great things to it. We use water filtered through our refrigerator.
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Thu Sep 12, 2013
Stop by the community big grocer. Observe if water or cola is more prevelant in the shopping carts. Is there a line at the 'Fill your own water bottle' kiosk? Open those big blue recycle containers...do you see lots water bottles?
-
Sure, the public water supply may be perfectly healthy, but if it does not taste good, no one will drink it....and the mountain of plastic bottles continues to grow.
-
Thank goodness Brita is available everwhere.

Best of success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
Koolsub2004, Renter, San Francisco, CA
Fri Jan 4, 2013
Tap water in SF is better than most bottled water. It comes directly from the Hetch-Hetchy reservoir in the Sierras. It is snow melt and natural springs.
Chris Cole, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Tue Dec 18, 2012
I'd have to agree with Nancy. I live in Noe Valley and while the water typically is fantastic, living in a early 1900's home you never know what might end up in your pipes. So I to use a Brita.
Will Lyon, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Mon Dec 17, 2012
The quality of water is very good. I have aquariums as a hobby and am very into testing the local water chemistry. The water is extremely high quality and the only interesting factor is that the PH is a little high as a result of the filtration process it goes through. It tastes good though! Hope this helps :)

Will
wlyon@apr.com
Sally Rosenm…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Mon Dec 17, 2012
It's from Hetch-Hetchy and it's great. Period.

Cheers

Sally
Web Reference:  http://www.sallyrosenman.com
Leopold A Ro…, , San Francisco, CA
Mon Dec 17, 2012
Fluoridation of water began in 1945, as part of a communist conspiracy. What the pro-fluoride advocates don’t tell us is that tens of thousands of people have died under mysterious circumstances….. since 1945.

LEOPOLD A RODRIGUEZ
Real Estate Broker 00849905
400 Montgomery 505
San Francisco CA 94104
Office: 415.781.3000
http://leopoldrodriguez.com/
"Communist Conspiracy" ROTFLMAO
Flag Thu Nov 14, 2013
Nancy Vernon…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Mon Dec 17, 2012
San Francisco tap water has an excellent reputation for taste (and quality). However, every building has its own issues with age of pipes, hot water delivery, etc. so I used a Brita, just to make sure it's clean of particulates.
Seth Swenson,…, Agent, Palo Alto, CA
Mon Dec 17, 2012
The tap water in San Francisco is typically excellent.

Seth Swenson
Broker Associate at Prudential
415 860 7384
Lance King, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Mon Dec 17, 2012
We drink filtered water but my understanding is the quality is very good.
San Francisco and NYC are two American cities whose water quality exceeds federal standards and therefore does not need to be filtered before delivery to residences. Both source their water in mountain terrain.
Flag Sun Sep 22, 2013