Quality of Life in Atlanta>Question Details

joelsmith1984, Renter in Atlanta, GA

What is a great place to live in Atlanta? For work I need to drive North of Alpharetta, but from home I want to be able to walk to nightlife spots!

Asked by joelsmith1984, Atlanta, GA Sat Dec 8, 2012

(a twentysomething single with a big dog that loves walks, rivers, and lakes)

If you can live inside 285, that's your best bet!!! Much less traffic!
For your Northside commute, everything about your question is price dependent. From there, it's about lifestyle choice - a condo, loft or townhouse is probably the best lifestyle choice for you to enable a good location.

I'm thinking Cross Creek in west Buckhead, I'm thinking Decatur is too far southeast, I'm thinking Buckhead will not yield the best value for you unless you choose a small condo in a high rise or a dated townhouse, I'm definitely thinking that a property near East Atlanta Village will have a house with a yard for you and your dog...

If you want to see the secret 100' cliffs just south of the Village, then I will be glad to show you. Your dog will like the squirrel show...

Otherwise, a smaller house in Roswell is a decent choice. The other areas east and west will crush your soul as you commute to and fro...
Web Reference: Http://intowninsider.com
You can pretty much live anywhere around highway 400...This would include Buckhead, Midtown and Downtown. You will be able to find nightlife in all of these locations. You commute will be against traffic which makes these areas possible to live.
For the ability to walk to nightlight, you are pretty much going to be limited to either Buckhead or Midtown, or possibly Decatur. There is really not much nightlife in other parts of Atlanta.

With Midtown, you do have Piedmont Park. There are really no lakes closer than a 1+ hour driving distance from Midtown.

Rodney Mason, NMLS #151088
Sr Loan Officer
Prospect Mortgage
825 Juniper St NE, Atlanta, GA 30308
Office: (404) 591-2453
Apply Online at http://www.rodneymason.com
Licensed in Alabama & Georgia

Prospect Mortgage offers a full selection of mortgage programs including:
Conventional | FHA | FHA 580-639 FICO | FHA 203K Renovation (Streamline & Consultant) | HomePath® | HomePath® Renovation | HomeStyle® Renovation | VA | USDA | GA Dream | Jumbo Financing
I would look at Virginia HIghlands area for night life. My daughter is 22 and that's where she and her friends hang out. I also agree with the Buckhead, but that area can be more expensive as far as bars and restaurants are concerned. Decatur has a more laid back feel but is still very popular with young people. Please let me know if I may be able to help you further.
Stephany Cross
Keller Williams Metro Atlanta
This is a split decision....commuting here can be a horror show so that should be considered.

You'll find plenty of recreation in and around Alpharetta - the dog will love the many parks along the river and easy access to Lake Lanier and other natural areas. You'll enjoy the short commute. However....20 something nightlife....not so much...and walking to it - forget it.

Buckhead, parts of Sandy Springs, north Atlanta.....that's where you'll find most 20 something residents. There's a decent suppy of attached housing (condos/townhomes) but detached hosuign can run up in price. The down side is the drive to Alpharetta (although against traffic) and the dog situation - likely to be inside while you're at work.

Atlanta is a car city so you'll be driving anywhere, traffic here is like fire; if you don't manage it it will burn you. So will value trends - you need to have a great feel on where values are going for the type and price point of homes you're considering - this market remains fluid and not all areas have stabilized.

I'm an appraiser as well as broker - more info is needed to best advise you. Drop me a line if you'd like help -

Web Reference: http://www.hmtatlanta.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2012
I live in Tucker and highly recommend the area. You are not far from Alpharetta, about 10-15 minutes from Buckhead and downtown, and about 5 minutes from Stone Mountain park for you to walk your dog and you get your exercise in at the same time. Please call me if you need any assistant.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 8, 2012
Alpharetta and locations north are excellent places to live in Atlanta, but have limited nightlife activities. Buckhead is probably a good choice, with outstanding values in condos at the present time. Plenty of rentals but prices tend to be high. Midtown is also a great area for people in their 20's but a longer commute. Many of the young people we've represented end up in Buckhead. Great access north and south. Call me if you need additional info.

Bruce Ailion,
RE/MAX Greater Atlanta
An Atlanta Real Estate Expert Serving Clients Since 1979
RE/MAX Hall of Fame – REALTOR Phoenix Award
Certified Residential Specialist
Certified Real Estate Broker
Accredited Buyers Agent
MS Real Estate and Urban Affairs
Certified Distressed Property Expert
Certified Investor Agent Specialist
Certified Internet Professional
203K Certified Specialist
2050 Roswell Road
Marietta GA 30062
404-978-2281 Direct
404-386-3682 Assistant Robin
678-760-6266 Buyer’s Agent Adam
770-973-9700 Office
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 8, 2012
Forgot to say: I'm moving to Atlanta because of work - and have never been there...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 8, 2012