Quality of Life in 15217>Question Details

Richard S, Home Buyer in 15232

What do think about buying a house facing highway?

Asked by Richard S, 15232 Sat Mar 6, 2010

I actually barely hear the noise when I was there during my house hunting. The house is kind of on the top of the hill. However, I'm aware that location might decrease value of the house in case I want to sell. How about installing fence? Would it help?

PS. The house I'm interested is facing 376 parkway.

The others are right ... run, don't walk, away - unless you are getting a STEAL.

I know that Pittsburgh didn't get hit the way a lot of other areas did but it is still a buyers market. Why buy someone else's problem unless it's at a great discount? And even then - make sure that when YOU sell that you wait until all the trees have filled in, so YOUR buyers don't hear anything at all ...

I agree with most of the previous comments. If you love the house, you need to get it for a price low enough that you may not get hurt on resale. If will be difficult to sell to anyone who does enjoy the fresh air and is not prone to using central air in the summer. I also agree with Mr. Demmer's comments about a natural fence. Trees or shrubs will absorb the sound better then a traditional fence. Good luck with the purchase if you decide to move in that direction!

-Jill Stehnach
The Stehnach Group ~~ We Work Harder For You!
Prudential Preferred Realty Sewickley
Web Reference: http://SewickleyVillage.com
Richard, Highways do affect value. has the house undergone a noise abatement? Does it have central air, becuase in the summer when it gets hot and you open the windows, you will hear it then. If you love the house and the highway doesnt bother you, then as long as you are getting a discount low enough to offset the highway detraction, when you sell your property may be worth that much less than a similar property not nearthe highway, but you would have already received a discount so you are not looing anything. good luck with your decision
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
A natural fence line may help with trees and shrubs. Anything near a highway is going to be hard to sell, no matter what you put into it.
Richard, 376 is ALWAYS busy. unless you are getting a total steal or this is investment property, you may want to think hard about this one. I once showed a house Franklin Park on a Sunday and it was tranquil and quiet.. the buyers came back on a Tuesday at 6pm and could hear nothing but the traffic from 279! if you can live with it than go for it, but it will be a tough sell down the road.

Doug Caye-
Location, location, location. Location is one of the single most important feature of any property and will of course significantly affect the value of a home. However, if you're purchasing such a property, you should be able to get it for cheaper than other similar homes that are in better locations. In real estate, perception is reality. Even if it's not noisy, I'm sure the highway will ultimately make it more difficult to sell down the road. However, if you buy it cheaper now and sell it for cheaper down the road, it'll be a wash.

Ralph Windschuh
Certified Buyer Representative
Senior Real Estate Specialist
Associate Broker
Century 21 Princeton Properties

There are many location factors that buyers and sellers need to contend with: busy streets, airports, shopping centers, industrial areas, railroads, etc. These factions don't go away....

If you are considering the home location relative to its value, it would be fair to assume that future buyers would as well.

Since the three most important home factors are: location, location, and location, it would be reasonable to expect that this location may impact your home's resale value.

Best wishes,