What do I do if a tenant does not get out after a 60 day eviction notice for owner occupied?

Asked by Johartman, 93455 Thu Jan 10, 2008

The apartment is under rent control. Tenant is under 62, no children, no disability and has been a troublesome tenant for 34 years. I recently inherited this 4 unit complex.
Thank you

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Sky Minor, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Tue Apr 14, 2009
Saurabh is right, I think it's time to sell this place. If you absolutely must keep it, make the tenant a cash offer ($500 is a good starting point) to leave, and pay them after all their stuff is moved out.

Money talks, hopefully your B.S. tenant will walk. Pay them, it's worth it.

If you get a lawyer, be prepared to give them $5000 in legal fees on top of the cash settlement you would have paid to the roach tenant anyway. Lawyers are an expensive waste 95% of the time.
0 votes
Saurabh Sethi, , Los Feliz, Los Angeles, CA
Mon Oct 13, 2008
Being a landlord is a fulltime job, costly, and a lot of times a headache. In a 4 Unit complex the only money being made is the appreciation of the property. To make money of apartments, typically requires 10 plus units. If your family has owned the property for 34 years, you have a lot of appreciation.
I personally would sell the place.
If you want to keep it, than work with an attorney.
Web Reference:  http://www.sethihomes.com
0 votes
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Thu Jan 10, 2008
Consult a real estate attorney. Sometimes, in other circumstances, the most expeditious method is simply to buy the tenant off--give him a lump sum of money to move. But if he's been there for 34 years, he's probably not real open to the possibility of moving.

Good luck.
0 votes
Rebecca Cham…, , Palos Verdes Estates, CA
Thu Jan 10, 2008
You must abide by rent control rules. You must fill out the paperwork with the city stating that you plan to relocate the tenant and then abide by rules, pay the tenant relocation and give them time to move, which will be longer than 60 days. It is not a simple process. Tenants can fight the relocation. You should consult with the housing authority and an attorney.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more