What can I do about a vacant house next to me.?

Asked by Beth, Philadelphia, PA Wed Sep 16, 2009

I live in NE Philadelphia. I have a vacant home directly next to mine. It has been vacant for 2 years. The owners have not been around in 6 months. My home is suffering because of theirs. I am getting mice and roaches. Their fence that divides our yards is collapsing and I can not replace it because legally it is on their property. Their yard is overgrown I have called clip and they cut the yard down but it does grow back. Do I have any recourse for my quality of life being affected?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Erin Rowley Stoner’s answer
Erin Rowley…, Agent, Savannah, GA
Thu Sep 17, 2009
Do you know your neighbors? If you have their contact information-- give them a call.

I'm guessing you don't live in a neighborhood with a HOA? If you do, that would be my first step. They can give notice to the owners citing cc&r's with a time limitation to have the porperty cleaned up. If they do not abide, the HOA can have the yard maintained and put a lien on the home.

My next step would be to report it to the city or county, whomever you pay your property taxes to.
0 votes
Bethann2779, , Philadelphia County, PA
Thu Sep 17, 2009
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more