What are your thoughts on Ocean Grove, as a second/vacation spot for a family with 2 girls (11 and 15)? Thank

Asked by Paulag, Rockland County, NY Sun Feb 3, 2008

you
Paulag

Answers

12
Jack Green, Agent, Ocean Grove, NJ
Wed Jul 22, 2009
Ocean Grove has been the perfect places to grow up raise my children and now watch my grand children having a ball. It is a family friendly town with lots of activity for the hole family. My son runs JR life guards. There are tennis clinics and much more. The O.G.C.A. has daily advents. I have several friends that met here at the local dances are now married and there children are take advantage of Ocean Grove for the summer.I'm writing this from our summer home which is an Ocean Grove tent.
Bill Carroll, Agent, Fayetteville, NY
Thu Feb 7, 2008
I have 3 girls and we have a second home in Ocean Grove and we love it. The number of young families that have moved there in the last decade is incredible and there are many things to occupy the kids including beach activities, family organized events put on by the Ocean Grove Camp meeting association and more. There are generations of families who have connected, grew up summering there and continue to summer with their children and grandchildren. We are so grateful to have such a unique and dynamic place that has held it's own for many generations.
S. Alexander, Both Buyer And Seller, Ocean Grove, NJ
Tue Sep 18, 2012
If you can get past the absurdity of two opposing groups living in “God’s Square Mile at the Jersey Shore”, seemingly annual fires that take two blocks of homes at a clip, a group of realtors that would sell their own mother’s into slavery for dime, and a right wing neo-Christian organization (Ocean Grove Camp Association) financially dependent on monies raised by charging homeowners a land use fee, a fair share of whom are the very people they profess to hate; it is a wonderful place to live.
If you are familiar with the movie “The Truman Show” you’ll understand that nothing here is as it appears and EVERYONE will be in your business.
allan erps,A…, Agent, Pearl River, NY
Wed Mar 30, 2011
Paulag, guess you are a neighbor of mine here in Rockland! Know Ocean Grove very well. There and all of the surrounding areas are very nice(Bayville, Lanoka Harbor, etc). Spent quite a bit of time there with my children in the late 80's for 15 years. Miss it as my Aunt and Uncle have moved away and on(house on a canal with boat). Great laid back lifestyle and have seriously considered retiring there one day. Best of Luck!

Allan Erps, ABR,SFR,C.O.R.E.
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
BHG Rand Realty
95 S Middletown Rd
Nanuet, NY 10954
VM(24 Hours) 845-770-2141
Cell Phone/Text 845-304-3040
Fax# 845-624-7137
My Email: allan.erps@randrealty.com
For the latest in Buyers and Sellers Resources,
visit my website at; http://www.allanerps.randrealty.com
Denise Sherm…, Agent, Ocean Grove, NJ
Wed Mar 30, 2011
Ocean Grove is by far one of the most exceptional places along the Jersey Shore to own a second home or beach home and to spend your families vacation. First the town is so family oriented with so many activities for your children during the entire summer season. What I like about the Grove is the fact that we have that small town feel with our Main Street where we have some shopping and eateries all in walking distance. You can walk into town Sunday morning for your paper, donuts, bagels or whatever and surely run into frinds and neighbors definitely smalltown USA. There is also events going on almost every weekend for the entire family such as Giant flea market, art shows, Craft festival, etc. All of our close surrounding towns are always having activities which you can simply walk or ride your bike-great to keep us healthy. Then the best perk of all is our fabulous beach the best feature for the entire family. One thing I can guarantee is that any children or young adults will make friends here that will last a lifetime! It is a fun, quirky town with a great mix of people which makes the town so special and unique and why people here love and protect our town! Hope you decide to look, you will love it heree!!
Jenifer Green…, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Fri Dec 31, 2010

I can't think of a better summer vacation spot than Ocean Grove. I have spent every summer of my life in Ocean Grove and I am in love with the town. I have made strong life long friendships in Ocean Grove. This town is a magical place that has a lot of activities for kids of all ages. Your girls being preteens and teenagers might enjoy the teen show that is put on by the local teenagers in town. Also, the youth temple is open every night in the summer for a safe place for teenagers to hang out.
Because the town in only a square mile it is very safe for kids to ride bikes and skateboard. Also, there is a surf competition that is held at the end of the summer every year. This is open to all age groups.
Also, because there are so many local businesses there is a lot of summer job opportunities.
I would not be the person I am today if I had not spent every summer of my life in Ocean Grove. Ocean Grove is a fantastic place to bring children for the summer. Your two girls will have their freedom and you can relax knowing that they are safe.

Jenifer Grigg
Jack Green Realty
Mark McDonald, Agent, Asbury Park, NJ
Mon Mar 15, 2010
For years, Ocean Grove has had a charming, clean, well groomed, vacation spot. It's truly one of a kind and extremely "Norman Rockwell" like. The beach is spectacular, and there is always something going on in town. From municipal concerts at the band shell, to antique shows, art openings, shopping, to a delightful and relaxing trip to one of the two Ice Cream Parlors. You really can't go wrong. Good luck
I assume the band shell you reference to be the little open air auditorium of hate that lost its' tax excempt status because the neo-Christian O.G.C.A. lost a major law suit for disallowing a lesbian couple who resides there and who had been together for like 40 years from holding a civil ceremony inside, that band shell?
Flag Tue Sep 18, 2012
Carol, , Ocean Grove, NJ
Tue Aug 18, 2009
I bought a second home in Ocean Grove in the summer of 2001 when my daughter was 14. She would bring her friends here from Livingston and they would have a ball. Coming from Livingston, they were enthralled with the history and the friendliness of the town and its people. While walking to the beach, they were thrilled that people they didn't know would greet them with a "good morning" or "God bless". My daughter never joined in the camp meeting associations organized activities but there is more than enough to do at the beach and the nearby towns of Asbury Park and Bradley Beach. To be honest, I love the non commercial quality of living in this town and when I want a great restaurant, I walk over to Asbury Park, which is now replete with great NYC chefs running restaurants. Last summer I took surfing lessons at the OG beach so it can be arranged. I have now sold my house in Livingston and live here permanently because quite honestly, this place is heaven and a haven. Yes it is family oriented and quiet during even in the summer. Saturday nights are the busiest because of the Auditorium entertainment which is honestly fabulous and a great value! I love this place, I am not Methodist but I find people are genuinely good natured and friendly and will go out of their way to help each other out. If you are looking for real family values, a place where there is tolerance for others and what is preached, is mostly practiced, this is it.
Peter Bennett, , Little Silver, NJ
Fri Apr 4, 2008
From a home inspector's standpoint, Ocean Grove homes typically galvanized water supply pipes which means that the water pressure/flow is usually minimal, at best. If the home your are considering has two full baths, then be prepared to invest in a copper repipe, if you are buying. If you are renting, turn on the shower, flush the toilets in both baths at the same time.
Jan, , Ocean Grove, NJ
Wed Mar 19, 2008
Ocean Grove is an IDEAL community for teens. I have a 17 year old son who can't wait to get to OG for the summer. He has been active in many of the wonderful youth programs sponsored by the Ocean Grove Camp Meeting Association, since he was 3 years old! There are plays, teen musical groups, Jr Lifeguards, recreation nights in the newly built Youth Temple, special events, mission projects, Breakfast clubs and many more. My son requested that I stop sending him to sleep-away camp for 2 weeks in the summer, because he felt that OG was like camp every day! If your children participate in the activities, they will meet life-long friends. I am a 3rd generation Ocean Grover and many families choose to return to OG for the summer year after year. To think that there is nothing to do in OG couldn't be further from the truth. There are also many activities for adults. The Ladies Auxillary of the Auditorium Ushers is always welcoming new members (ladies only) and they have great community projects and fund, or should I say "fun-raisers" where getting to know people is easy. The Auditorium has concerts through out the week and Sat night brings well known entertainers. If you are looking for spiritual growth, this IS the place to come. You need not be a member of the Methodist church to participate in activities, All are welcome.
The town is very safe to give your kids some independence, just remember to bring your bikes and get a good bike lock.
To get a preview of the many offerings check out these two web sites. http://www.oceangrove.org and http://www.oceangrovenj.com
Weiming Wong, Agent, Morganville, NJ
Tue Feb 12, 2008
It depends on what you would like to do along the shore. Long Branch beach has been recently rated top 10 beaches in the nation. The new Pier Village, ocean front rental, shops and restaurants has drove lots of visitors in the summer. Check out http://www.piervillage.com. My 13-year old had a birthday party on the beach. Her friends loved it and have been frequently going there since the party. A lot more redevelopment on Broadway, entertainment zone, is going to make the place more exciting.

Asbury Park is another exciting place, check out Cookman Av. and ocean front development.
Web Reference:  http://www.weimingwong.com
Diane Glander, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Sun Feb 3, 2008
Ocean Grove is a safe town, but not much to do. The shopping district is ok, but not many shops devoted to kids. Towns like Spring Lake, Mansquan, and Belmar have better shopping districts as far as shopping directed toward teenagers is concerned.
My kids were in the junior guard program and I never remember there being a team from Ocean Grove, but that was a few years ago. Spring Lake and Mansquan offer surfing lessons during the summer, too. Belmar hosts sand castle building contests and also hosts the pro volleyball tour.
I don't really think there are a lot of kids living in OG. It seems to be more geared towards adults. Ocean Grove holds a nice summer concert series, but generally the entertainment is geared towards older folks. They also have a great flea market 2X a year, but again, it's antiques and not items that would appeal to the kids.
Hopefully some other locals will chime in on this one. Feel free to reach out to me via my website where you can find additional demographics for Ocean Grove and the other shore towns.
Web Reference:  http://www.dianeglander.com