What are the best livable historic neighborhoods in Denver?

Asked by Janet L, Brooklyn, NY Thu Aug 16, 2007

I'm an urban planner living in NYC and thinking about relocating to Denver with my husband. I want to live in a historic neighborhood near a park and shops that is also kid friendly. What are the best options and are they affordable?

Answers

7
Kristal Kraft, Agent, Greenwood Village, CO
Wed Aug 22, 2007
Denver has a variety of neighborhoods that might fit your needs. The first question for you to determine is "how much do I want to spend?" Of course that is difficult to do because you don't know exactly what your money can buy. When working with clients I usually prefer to start in a lower range and work up. Looking at an $800k home, then comparing it to a $400k home really isn't fair!

If money is no object, look at homes in Hilltop around Cranmar Park. This area is rich in architectural styles, so much in fact there is a walking tour book written specifically about it.

The Country Club area also has many historic homes and estates worth looking into. I personally love the wide tree lined streets of these Denver neighborhoods.

Another very fine area is Bonnie Brae, named after a Scottish town, this neighborhood is the only one in all of Denver where the streets curve. It is located just south of Polo Grounds and Cherry Creek.

If you are wanting to stay on the lower end of an urban budget, look at homes in NW Denver (neighborhoods of Denver Highlands, Sloan's Lake, Sunnyside, etc.) This area was once the blue collar neighborhood where homes are diverse as the people who live there. Victorian, 2-story Denver Squares, solid brick Crafsman homes line the streets. The wonderful urban village at 32nd and Lowell has the original Heidi's Brooklyn Deli, so maybe you can capture a nostalgic taste from NYC!

Since you are an Urban Planner, I would be remiss if I did not direct you to our two urban planner's dream neighborhoods of Stapleton and Lowry. These areas are urban infill built on the former airport and Air Force Base in the city. The villages located here are wonderful. Lowry is a National Historic District with a variety of housing.

Stapleton is being built by Forest City, it boasts the best of 22 builders presenting homes in all price ranges. There are row homes, townhomes, condos, single family of many styles and even an area that looks like the East Coast Shore (sorry no ocean).

My favorite part of both these urban villages are the wonderful shops nearby. There is also a huge mall at Northfield.

I could go on an on about Denver neighborhoods....hope this helped!
Mona Beuthel, Agent, Greenwood Village, CO
Fri Aug 17, 2007
Hello Janet,

Denver is roughly 200+ years old and there is both old and new for the most part in our historic districts.
To name a few areas of interest to you, Congress Park, Cherry Creek, Highlands, 5 points, Washington Park, Platt Park, to name a few.

Our most grand and gorgeous homes were build around the turn of the century and before as the Silver Rush from 1859 - 1893 expanded our economy from a cow town to a fabulously wealthy city on the plains.

The answer to your question would greatly depend on how much you are investing in a property and what size and type of home you are looking for. We have relatively small denver sgaures one story 500 square feet up to @ and 3 story 5000 square feet.

I hope I helped you

Mona@KW.com
Allison Smith, Agent, Denver, CO
Thu Aug 16, 2007
Denver has a number of historic districts and areas, and yes, some are still affordable and very "kid friendly!" Here are just a couple you may want to consider: Montclair; Alamo Placita, Baker. The following link will also provide you with details and information on these and other Denver neighborhoods: http://www.denvergov.org/AboutDenver/today_neighborhoods.asp . Also, if you check out the other Denver Gov link I've included, you will be directed to a list and map of Denver's Historic Districts.

You may also want to consider a number of Denver's other older, established neighborhoods that, while not being designated historic districts, are very beautiful and full of character. Park Hill and Congress Park are just two of many thay come to mind!

Allison K. Smith, Realtor, REexpert
303-725-8152 (C) 303-418-7222 (O)
http://www.ColoradoDreamHome.com
Allison@ColoradoDreamHome.com
Kevin Schnei…, Agent, Denver, CO
Wed Oct 28, 2009
There are several areas that may interest you. One is the Highlands area, which is very near Downtown Denver. Another is Washington Park, which is further south but close to everything. Berkeley is close by as well. All of these are very electic and trendy and very much in demand. Usually the Victorian homes are located near the central part of Denver, and depending on the originality of the interior and updating price can vary. Check out my website and explore the possibilities. One of the hotlinks is directly hooked up to our MLS system.

Will be looking forward to hear from you. You will love Colorado!
KiKi Cannon, Agent, Denver, CO
Sat Oct 24, 2009
Two neighborhoods where I recently sold houses are Congress Park and Park Hill. Both are family friendly with access to good schools, parks, neighborhood shops, cafes, and easy to get to downtown cultural venues. Both have homes from $300s and up with a great mix of styles: bungalow, tudor, denver square, victorian. Denver is fortunate to have more historic neighborhoods (districts) than any city in US.
And, if you are looking for a more recent historic neighborhood there is Arapahoe Acres just south of the University of Denver. It is the 1st post WWII neighborhood to receive an historic designation (great collection of mid-century modern homes).
Let me know if I can help.
KiKi Cannon
Landmark Real Estate Professional
Coldwell Banker Denver Central
kikicannon@comcast.net
303.717.6196
Web Reference:  http://www.kikicannon.com
Kathryn Carl…, Agent, Conifer, CO
Sat Apr 12, 2008
Janet: Denver South East. Washing Park and Bonnie Brae. We would be happy to run community reports for you-- and compare your places of interest.
Allison Smith, Agent, Denver, CO
Fri Aug 17, 2007
This morning I thought of another web site you might find useful and interesting in learning more about historic Denver: http://historicdenver.org/
Web Reference:  http://historicdenver.org/