What are best neighborhoods in Staten Island for schools and safety?

Asked by Jenifer Novik, Staten Island, NY Tue Jan 6, 2009

I am looking for recommendations for the best neighborhoods in Staten Island in regards to safety and schools. I am a single mother with a 12 year old son. He is currently in 7th grade. I am looking for a neighborhood that is safe, with great schools (middle schools and high schools). Some place that is simply a nice place to live. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Answers

7
Joseph Runfo…, Agent, Staten Island, NY
Mon Jun 24, 2013
gil.vega64, Home Buyer, Bayonne, NJ
Mon Jun 24, 2013
We are first time home buyer, we are looking for something in Staten Island, what are the best neighborhood to race families due that we have two sons and we are looking for good schools and safety for our children.
Thank you in advance, any comments will be appreciated.
Shawn Seigel, Agent, Staten Island, NY
Sat Feb 28, 2009
As I am sure you are aware by now, Licensed Real Estate Agents cannot direct you to a school.

You can, however, evaluate schools yourself.

New York State publishes reports for all schools, public and private. These "Report Cards" comment on the amount of funding schools receive, as well as pass/fail rates for standardized tests and special education programs that are available. To view the most recent report cards visit:

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/District.do?year=2007&…

I hope this has helped you in your search for a new home!
Team Real Es…, Agent, STATEN ISLAND, NY
Sat Feb 28, 2009
As a Licensed Realtor I am not allowed to direct you this way. It is unathical. The best thing for you to do is conduct your own research.
Or you may visit my website at http://www.irenapopilevsky.com and do your surch there.
Good Luck
Aleyah, , Staten Island, NY
Sat Feb 28, 2009
well . im in high school i go to curtis high school. it depends on the price range you can afford for a house. Your son will love is.72 which is close to the si mall, in new springville i went there. the houses are Beautifull!!!! over there. And a couple blocks down is NEW high school right next to the si mall called Mcown, csi high school. and around that area is csi college.
Joan, Home Seller, Doraville, GA/ Staten Island, NY
Thu Feb 26, 2009
I'm not a real estate agent so I can share my opinion about what is a good area on Staten Island. Most of Staten Island is great. School and especially neighborhood pride runs deep on Staten Island so you'll be hard pressed to get a truly objective answer. That said - the public middle schools and high schools draw their students from all socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds. The private schools are available to you regardless of where you live. Neighborhood safety can be determined by various sources - read the Advance, check out police dept websites. But the best might be to drive around during the day and at night and get a feel for the area. Look to see if windows have metal grates on the lower level windows (some people put them on upper windows if they have toddlers & are afraid of accidents). Look to see if the street is clean, litter free, and yards and houses are maintained - they don't have to the biggest, most expensive houses - just - do the people in the neighborhood respect each other and their property?

Some degree of objectivity regarding school performances can be found at the NYC board of education government websites.

My house for sale is in Manor Heights. It is in a great school district - with Wagner H.S. within walking distance but not so close you get the noise and traffic. It is convenient to the expressway and mass transit. We have nice neighborhood stores - Chinese Rest.,Pizza,Deli,Walgreens,Bakeries.Dry Cleaners. It is safe; it is a neighborhood where you know your neighbors because people still greet eachother and walk around the neighborhood. The church, synagogue, and new JCC recreation center are within walking distance. It's on high ground - so you don't have water in your basement. The yard is easy to maintain and you have a view thru yards to the Greenbelt. Between the landscaped trees in the yard & the Greenbelt view, the fall foliage reminds you why you live on Staten Island. The College of Staten Island is not far so you can enjoy their concerts or eventually make it an easy commute for your son.

Glad you're thinking about buying on Staten Island - it really is a good place to live. I moved away and still miss it and the friends I made there. No matter where I live Staten Island will alway be 'home'.
Johnathan Sm…, , Staten Island, NY
Tue Jan 6, 2009
As a Real Estate agent I cant comment on what is a good area or not but I am from Great Kills and my kids love the schools! if you would like you can email me at johnresales@gmail.com and I can show you around
Web Reference:  http://www.johnresales.com