We are thinking of purchasing a townhome/condo in the Bluffview or Greenway areas of Dallas for retirement.

Asked by V. S. Calliham, Dallas, TX Thu Sep 22, 2011

In your opinion, are these areas safe, convenient for shopping, walkable? Please be honest, we're talking about our life savings. Thanks to all who answere.

Answers

12
Drew Brenner’s answer
Drew Brenner, , Dallas, TX
Wed Sep 28, 2011
There are some good answers here. If I were you I would simply call one or more of the realtors here and thoroughly discuss yourselves and your lifestyle so he or she can find an area that fits with YOU. I also think you would probably feel a lot more comfortable speaking and meeting with someone rather than getting the info online. Like you said, its about your life savings, and you deserve the best!

Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Thu Oct 24, 2013
Safe is such a relative word.....it's only a problem when you are a victim. Dallas is a big city so crime is everywhere.

I only know of one condo that is close to shopping where you would want to walk. That is right behind Inwood Village.

You can check out some of the condos and townhomes in the area at this link:
http://www.metroplexhomesalesinfo.com/listings/areas/23583/p…
Sergio Rico, , Arlington, TX
Sat Oct 19, 2013
I'm a professional home Inspector, I know some agents that will be able to help you. also I would like to offer you my services for home inspections once you find a you home you might are interested to purchase. Good luck!
Pamela Edwar…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Thu Oct 17, 2013
Hi V.S.,

I live in the neighborhood. If you would like to have a nice friendly, no obligation, no sales pitch conversation about the area give me a call.

Pamela Edwards
Ebby Halliday Realtors
(972)715-1052
Anne Bokalo, Agent, CANTON, TX
Fri Sep 23, 2011
Would have to get more info of what you'd like in youir retirement. Everybody has different tastes as to what they'd like to have in their retirement living. Different areas attract different types of people for the amenities in the neighborhood. Sugest you drive over there, park and walk around to get the feel of the area.
Kenneth "Ken…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Thu Sep 22, 2011
These are great areas for living & shopping.

Kenny
Curtis Cannon, Agent, Dallas, TX
Thu Sep 22, 2011
I have lived in Bluffview for over 15 years. It is a wonderful community and although it is mainly single-family homes there are some condos and a few townhomes. The neighborhood has some of the city's best restaurants, ample shopping and its own 3-screen theater! With the exception of bad weather days, my neighbors and I are often out walking our dogs or taking them to Bluffview Park for a run.
Safe, convenient and walkable can mean different things to different people. Give me a call and I may be able to help you decide whether the neighborhood meets your needs.
Curtis Cannon
214.901.7553 mobile
curtiscannon@kw.com
http://www.curtiscannon.com
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Thu Sep 22, 2011
I'm trying to stretch my brain to think if there are any townhomes or condos in Greenway Park or Bluffview proper.
None come to mind immediately. There are some in the general area and you can search them below on the link at the bottom of the page. When I think of Bluffview and Greenway Park, I think $1m plus as these are known to be some of the most expensive parts of the city. That's not 100% true, but I think that's what many will think. Bluffview is home to people such as the Eagles Don Henley with a multi-million dollar estate. What price range do you want to be in?

Walkable?----It's Dallas where we just had 100 days or so in a row of 100F+ weather. Not many people walk anywhere with that kind of heat. There are some condos directly behind Inwood Village shopping center. I'm thinking that would be a pretty easy walk for many. Lots of people like these shops, restaurants, movie theater, etc. This is not considered Bluffview or Greenway Park though. I've seen these for less than $100,000. There are some condos/townhomes on Bordeaux that I believe were original built for Braniff flight attendants that are about in this same price range. Not sure most people would think they are walkable to stores or shops though. Depends on how far you want to walk. These are also not in Bluffview or GP, but not far away.
Safe?....this is always a relative answer. What might be safe to you might not be to me....so none of us can really answer that question. I used to live not far away and as one police officer told me....hey the criminals come to where they can find the good stuff....they don't stay in their neighborhood when they're out robbing.
Makes sense. You can check out crime at Trulia heat maps.... http://www.trulia.com/crime/ Probably best thing to do is talk to some of the local police officers or neighbors by a place you want to buy.
Let me know what price range you are considering and I'd be happy to send you some sample listings.
Susan Hanson, Agent, Plano, TX
Thu Sep 22, 2011
Thanks for the question. Older homes prevail in this area, however there are pockets where builders have torn down and built new construction in the past 10 years. I actually have a client about to put a home on the market in that vicinity that was built around 1999. Let me know if you'd like to be notified when they are ready. Thanks!
Susan Hanson
"Your Home Is Where My Heart Is"
ALAN WYNN, Agent, Allen, TX
Thu Sep 22, 2011
V.S.,

Bluffview, Little Bluffview and Greenway are some of the most sought after areas of Dallas right now...and have been for some time. And the biggest draw for Buyers is location. Without knowing any thing more about your situation, I believe you have chosen an ideal area for retirement. Obviously there is much more information about these particular areas than can be shared in this answer. And I know that you will receive lots of information from other agents in response to your question. My best advice and council is to reach out to an expert on the area who will be willing to educate you on what to look for when you are ready to move forward.

I have several agents in my office that specialize in this area of Dallas and would be delighted to have any one of them help. you. Thanks for using Trulia Voices. And Happy Retirement!!!

Alan Wynn - Branch Manager
Coldwell Banker - Preston Campbell Regional Office
972.931.2400 (office)
214.729.5582 (cell/text)
Alan.Wynn@cbdfw.com
Web Reference:  http://cbdfw.com/alanwynn
Jay Narey, , Dallas, TX
Thu Sep 22, 2011
Well there are several along NW Hwy and a few behind the Inwood Theatre as well (Inwood also).
Please contact me - I have lived in Bluffview for more than 20 years and am VERY familiar with the area.
Be happy to provide you with market information or representation in your purchase.
I am an Accredited Buyer's Representative and an Accredited Luxury Home Specialist.

JAY NAREY ABR, ALHS
Keller Williams - Preston Rd.
jaynarey@kw.com
972.468.5462
Web Reference:  http://www.jaynarey.com
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Thu Sep 22, 2011
Professional code of ethics prevents any Realtor to respond called "steering"

However happy to assist you making a decision as a professional Realtor as your buyers agent providing resources required for your review.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com