Thinking about buying in Old Tappan, NJ. Is it down-to-earth? Does it have a community feeling?

Asked by Lisa, Wyckoff, NJ Wed Apr 9, 2008

Answers

4
Allannamery, Home Owner, Old Tappan, NJ
Tue Aug 6, 2013
I've lived here 18 years. I like the neighborhood I'm in. Most of us know each other and people walk a lot so you see each other. We have a gorgeous park that I helped design and create. All the dog walkers love it (perhaps too much). There is a good mix of people regarding income level but most are pretty well educated. I've never heard anyone say they hate Old Tappan. It's pretty to walk around, the shopping center is convenient, schools are good. The regional high school is in Old Tappan. That's convenient. The lots are generally large. Taxes are quite high but no worse than any other town in Bergen County for similar homes. Go for it.
Marc Paolella, Agent, Succasunna, NJ
Wed Apr 9, 2008
Hi Lisa,

I would have to classify Old Tappan as average with respect to community feel. To me, a lot of what I define as "community feel" is a function of having an identifiable and hopefully charming downtown. Old Tappan is more of a typical suburb with no real downtown, just a shopping center. Upscale, yes, but really nothing more than a strip mall. It's not like Ridgewood for example.

As far as the actual community, in reality it's as "close knit" as any other suburb in northern NJ. I think most of what we perceive as strong "community" comes from our own actions and how much we reach out to others around us. If you move into a typical neighborhood in Old Tappan, 10 neighbors will not show up on your doorstep proferring cups of sugar. But that won't happen anywhere these days, right? Yet, if you jump in with other parents in recreational activities and attend religious observances or school board meetings or volunteer activities you will feel a strong sense of community. And that will happen in any town. So the bottom line is I don't think there is any inherent superior "communityness" in any town. You get what you give, wherever you live.

-Marc
Web Reference:  http://www.marcpaolella.com
Sharon Kozinn, Agent, Hillsdale, NJ
Wed Apr 9, 2008
Old Tappan is a wonderful community. Great schools, great recreation, nice shopping center and varied housing stock. There are some magnificent newer homes, some very unique cusstom designs, and some traditional homes, splits,ranches,etc.
The whole town goes to the same elementary and middle school, so there is a sense of togetherness that other towns may not have.
There are a lot of winding,tree lined streets and cul de sacs. The prices range from 495,000 to 8,900,000 so there is a very wide range of houses.
I live in the next town, and am very familiar with Old Tappan, and all the surrounding towns. Plesae contact me and I can give you any other information you want.
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Sharon Kozinn-sharon@sharonsellsnj.com
Web Reference:  http://www.sharonkozinn.com
Barbara Ostr…, Agent, Closter, NJ
Wed Apr 9, 2008
Definitely -- upscale community with close-knit feeling, some older smaller homes with longtime residents, some larger newer ones or renovated charming ones. Schools are great, rec sports for kids are popular, etc.