Keith,  in Berkeley, CA

The smog in Pasadena seems to be much worse than Los Angeles - is this correct and why?

Asked by Keith, Berkeley, CA Fri May 4, 2007

Answers

8
Smog is in fact worse in Pasadena - but only a certain type. Basically, Pasadena has one of the highest ozone levels in the LA basin. When that ozone reacts with a variety of other elements, it forms a haze as well as being unhealthful by itself.

This is largely because the chemicals that form ozone are blown inland during the day, and are trapped against the mountains, as a previous commenter suggested.

You can confirm this by checking out the data provided on the AQMD website. You will see consistently higher levels of ozone in Pasadena in the afternoons. It is higher in summer because strong sunlight helps to create more ozone.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 8, 2008
Hey Keith,

When you see news reports of the smog levels it appears it's always worse in the Valley then in the basin. It seems to be worse in Summer (no clouds to make it acid rain). I also think it just gets trapped up against the mountains.

I think it's worse.

Monique Carrabba
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 18, 2008
I guess it's all relative. I don't think the smog is worse in Pasadena than LA unless you are talking about beach cities. If that's the case, I would agree. If you're living next to the ocean, you will have far less smog than inland. If you compare Pasadena to the Valley, than Pasadena is heavenly. If you compare it to Hollywood, than it's about comparable with less cars and grime. Come on out and take a look for yourself. We have plenty of activities. It's a great town!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 12, 2007
I don't know if it is worse in Pasadena then In Los Angeles but I can tell you it is worse then in the South Bay Beach Cities. In Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo and El Segundo we rarely have smog. The afternoon ocean breezes clear the air and keep us at a cooler temperature then inland areas.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 12, 2007
Kaye Thomas, Real Estate Pro in Manhattan Beach, CA
I am housesitting in Pasadena. My friend who lives here has bad asthma and now i am staying here i find myself waking up with trouble breathing, coughing and sounding like her. it must be something in the atmosphere. Normally I live in Glendale, not far away at all, but even though i too, am an asthma sufferer, it is usually mild and i don't normally sound like this! Take me back to Glendale............
My wife lived in Los Angeles and Pasadena as well as Malibu. She agrees with you that Pasadena smog is worse. She says "Don't you know how much air one has to suck in to maintain those over-inflated Hollywood egos? Puhleaze dahling!
Yes, and it's also worse in Ontario, Upland, too.
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Brick, NJ
I am not a rocket scientist...but I play one on TV!
Look, I don't know. Of course, I live and work in Glendale, right smack between Pasadena and the Valley. All I can say is, even being "above" the masses, in Glendale we call it "the Glendale grime"
the AQMD recently reported that all of the basin is "unhealthful".
Sometimes it is a matter of terms.
I'd like to share more but the Tulia mavens won't let me.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA