Mary, Other/Just Looking in New York, NY

Red Hook - we are thinking of renting a house there for our family.

Asked by Mary, New York, NY Thu Aug 23, 2007

Does anyone know how it is for families in the area and if safety is a big issue still.
Thanks, MJ

Answers

3
Felicitas Oe…, Other Pro, New York, NY
Tue Jul 30, 2013
I just moved to red Hook from Manhattan last year and love it.
More space for the money and less crowded yet close to the city.
However there are not a lot of properties on the market, both rentals and homes for sale are hard to come by.
Transportation is a bit of a problem with only 2 bus lines and the water taxi.
If you have a car and do not have to get into Manhattan on a daily basis its great.
Im not sure about schools for kids that might be an issue...
Pierre Calza…, Other Pro,
Fri Aug 24, 2007
Red Hook is an interesting neighborhood. There is a lot of change going on there and much of it is much, much different than several years ago. Specifically closer to the water and columbia street. The bst advice I can give you is to go take a ride around, take the train in - which is a bit of a walk, depending how far off of smith street you are (F train Line). I personally like Red Hook very much, and the upside on the area is still huge. New developments are coming to fruition, stores are moving in, there is alot of action. I sold real estate in Carroll Gardens and had a few listings in Red Hook as well years back. I do see families there, and like ANY neighborhood in New York City, even the Upper East Side where I lived for 22 years, you always need to be a smart New Yorker and consider safety first, walking around late is never recommended, especially by yourself - late at night. Cheers.
Pam Winterba…, Agent, Danville, VA
Thu Aug 23, 2007
Here is a website that can give you a profile on Red Hook. http://www.hometownlocator.com/City/Red-Hook-New-York.cfm.

I would also check with the local police department for safety information and crime statistics
Web Reference:  http://pamwinterbauer.com