Re: Paradise in Fountain Hills. OK, but what about the heat? I hear it gets a might warm in June, July & August there. Do people just stay?

Asked by Jerome Malenfant, 11949 Mon Jan 2, 2012

indoors those months with the AC on full blast?

Answers

11
Patti Irwin, Agent, Fountain Hills, AZ
Wed Jan 11, 2012
Hi Jerome, I love Fountain Hills, My husband and I moved from Chicago about 2 years ago. You couldn't pay me to move back to the midwest or any state with snow. We go to the pool everyday in the summer. Also you are in and out of places with AC so you can deal with the heat. It does take some getting used to. Plus it is a drier heat so you aren't dripping wet from the humidity. Sometime after I get out of the pool I have to actually laugh because I am freezing..go figure. You have to drink tons of water too so you don't get dehydrated. Fountain Hills is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, with the mountains surrounding the community, just looking at that every day is paradise to me.

Patti Irwin
HomeSmart
480 888 6708
TJ & Howard…, , Fountain Hills, AZ
Tue Jan 3, 2012
Jerome, I moved here from Chicago. First I love Fountain Hills, I tell people "I live in a postcard". It's beautiful here and right now its going to be 78 degrees here today on January 3rd! How can you not love that. That said if you are going to move to Arizona and live anywhere in the Valley you need to prepare yourself for hot summers pretty much starting in the middle to the end of May through the middle of October. When I say hot, I'm talking about 105 degrees plus, upwards to 110 degrees.
Am I moving because of the temps in the summer. No, you find ways of dealing with the heat, going out in the morning or early evening. If you are retired you can escape just an hour away up in Payson, the higher desert area where temps are 15 degrees cooler which many people do or head up to Flagstaff for the weekend, a three hour drive away.
You need to weigh the pros and cons of living in a desert climate. I have and the pros definitely outweigh the cons. Hope this helps.
Cheryl Hunter, Agent, scottsdale, AZ
Tue Nov 25, 2014
hi there, I am a local real estate agent and I can tell you that you do get used to the heat. It is hot in July and August and September. Most people stay, but there are some that go up to the mountains to cool off and others to California as well. The snowbirds are usually gone by April when it starts to heat up and they return around October. The AC runs almost year round here with the exception of November and January. The nights are cool enough from November to March. I hope this helped.

Cheers,

Cheryl Hunter
Sunshine Exclusive Properties
Cheryl@sunshineExclusive.com
480-544-3411
Diane36, Home Owner, Fountain Hills, AZ
Tue Aug 14, 2012
Hi, I'm not an agent and moved here from Chicago 34 years ago. I still absolutely HATE July and August and merely tolerate September.

You cannot spend hours and hours in your pool without the strongest sunscreen/block or you will end up with pre-skin cancer as I and several friends and family members have. You must but sun shields on your windshields when parked, and if you don't, you will be wishing you had when you touch your seatbelt metal or steering wheel.

But there are no hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes here, and driving is safer as there are rarely slippery surfaces. It's very easy to find your way around.

You quickly learn to live with your thermostat set to 78-80 and spend the afternoon lying under a ceiling fan. We actually keep it at 76 until the rate kicks up, then turn it up to 78. We "bank" our winter credit payments as we rarely use heat, keeping it at a comfy 65 degrees but paying the same average rate. Therefore we have credit in our bank with the electric company.

My husband can ride his motorcycle all year which makes him very happy.
There are tons of festivals, art shows, celebrations, fairs when October hits and it starts cooling down.

There are people here who live in a nice home with views and work in L.A. 4 days a week, staying in an apt. with others who do the same thing.

It's a choice. But I love and miss the snow.
Tom Kovalak, Home Buyer, Queen Creek, AZ
Thu Jun 21, 2012
I will have to say I disagree with most all of these posts. I have lived in 7 states (Michigan, Florida, Minnesota, Colorado, Oregon, Utah and Arizona). I personally will never get used to this heat. Your life suffers from early May - late October/early November, because you literally can't do much more than walk to your car, walk to your work and then walk back into your home. I cannot understand how anyone could ride a bike, rollerblade, play tennis or any outdoor activity during those months (not 2 or 3 months...5 or 6 months per year). I would take snow and cold that you can at least dress for over this heat any day.

I may sound like a complainer, it's just simply unbearable. Oh, my electric bill in a 2 bedroom apt here is over $150 5 months per year because of the heat!
Susan Lehmku…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Wed Jan 4, 2012
indoors those months with the AC on full blast? That's one option or emerge yourself all day in your pool! Seriously, you do get used to the heat and learn to adjust your lifestyle. I tend to grocery shop and do errands either in the evening or early in the day before it gets sweltering. For those tasks that just can't be rescheduled, you learn to adjust. I keep a cooler with ice water, a can of spray lub for hot sticky locks, and a spray bottle of water to cool off the mechanical lockboxes in my car for emergencies. 3-4 months of hot weather is worth not having to shovel snow or drive on black ice!

Susan Lehmkuhl
Associate Broker
The KUHL Team
Buy and Sell Smart Realty
623-256-7270
Susan@PhoenixRealEstateSource.com
http://www.PhoenixRealEstateSource.com
Deborah Grif…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Wed Jan 4, 2012
Jerome,

No matter how many tank tops you own, smoothies you sip or dips in the pool it’s a scorching heat. The best way to survive through the summer in triple digit temperatures is staying indoors and cranking up the air conditioning. The summer months are equivalent to the northern states’ winter. There is a sacrifice to live in Paradise 330 days a year and its summer heat. It's much easier to survive the heat than it is to shovel snow in New York.
Bill Parker,…, , Scottsdale, AZ
Tue Jan 3, 2012
Hi Jerome:

Good, funny question to start off the New Year!

I moved to The Valley of the Sun 33 years ago, from Syracuse. I have been to Long Island many a time. I would not move back.

Some years ago, a bunch of my buddies and I were celebrating a bachelor party in July. Someone mentioned how hot it was, while we were lounging in the swimming pool, playing water volleyball and sipping our drinks. I thought to myself, yeah, this is as bad as it gets. Which would you rather endure, that, or: being up in Syracuse with freezing, blowing wind; stepping off the sidewalk into 12" of icy slush that goes over your boot top; doing 360's on invisible, black ice on Highway 360--all personal experiences, I do not want to repeat. Just saying.

However, Phoenix is big enough. All you people in the cold climates please ignore what I just said. Jerome is perfectly spot-on--all we do down here is sit around, wishing we were back up North...RIGHT!!
Brenda & Ron…, Agent, Mesa, AZ
Tue Jan 3, 2012
Jerome,

We moved to the Phoenix area from Illinois and came primarily because of the climate. We love it. Yes, it does get hot in the summer, but morning and evenings are nice. All of the businesses will be air-conditioned so during the hottest part of the day you don't have to be out in it if you don't want to be. Your utility bill will be highest in the summer months - similar to utility bills being highest in the winter months in colder climates. But when it was cold back east it was cold 24 hours - here it may be hot mid-day but you can enjoy the mornings outside as well as the evenings.

If you need help in finding a home here in the valley give us a call, we would love to help!

Brenda

Ron & Brenda Cunningham
West USA Realty
602-980-3133
**** Recognized in the Phoenix Business Journal as "One of the Top 50 Realtors in the Valley" ****
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Tue Jan 3, 2012
As Dori pointed out, it does not matter if you live in the heat of Fl or the cold of Wisconsin, if you choose not to acclimate to the climate you will find yourself living indoors.

For instance, I run 10 miles every other day...throughout the year. The days I don't run, I am biking or walking. Everyplace is what you make it. Every location has it's issues. Find something to celebrate where ever you are and make the most of it. By the way, some folks in Wisconsin are living with the heat 'full blast.' In August my air will be on, but I will still be biking along the gulf and running through the oak stands. Without a doubt, for some in Fountain Hills, OK, the choices they make will be similar.

If at all possible, don't allow yourself to become a victim of the climate, but acclimate and celebrate.
That is the best answer I ever heard to climate complaints!!
Flag Thu Mar 26, 2015
Dori Wittrig…, Agent, Fountain Hills, AZ
Tue Jan 3, 2012
Hi Jerome...quite the opposite! It is said that everything is "relevant" and that certainly applies here! When you live in Fountain Hills or the Valley of the Sun full time, you acclimate to the range of temperatures that are, in the extreme, 25 degrees to 110 degrees...no different than the range in many northern states that may go from minus10 degrees to 95 degrees. In addition, low desert humidity provides for a more comfortable heat index. I'm from the northwest, and an 85 degree day there is less comfortable for me than a 100 degree day here. Yes, we have air conditioning and it helps us to be more comfortable, but you'll find that desert dwellers love the summer heat, when the mornings and evenings are glorious--at least until August when humidity is higher. Like to golf? Long distance runner? You'll see these and many other athletic pursuits enjoyed in the middle of the day and we love it! And...we don't have to shovel it!