My son has the disease Multiple sclerosis. He has his ovwn apartment. what are the policies for handicap, do they accommodate their needs for living?

Asked by Low, Detroit, MI Sat Jul 2, 2011

Do the apartments put hand bars in the bathrooms or wall corners so their wheelchair do not tear the walls up. Do they make the apartment doors easy to get in (my son's hands shakes from the disease). At his apartment, after 3 weeks maintainence had not put his hand bar in his shower, so his dad had to put it in. my concerns are what kind of policies and/or rules are there for the handicap/disabled living in their own apartment. His bills are paid just like any other tenant. I need help with these concerns. i don't think that they give a dam

Answers

1
., , Lithonia, GA
Sun Jul 3, 2011
Hello ma'am,

The Federal Fair Housing Act enacted an amendment in 1988 that bars discrimination based on handicap of the renter or of a buyer. The landlord must allow the tenants to make reasonable modifications of existing premises at the tenant's expense and in SOME cases the changes must be returned back to their original state also at the tenants expense. Some modifications may remain in place. There are also some other rules listed under that amendment for the handicap. The law is enforced by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

I would suggest going to HUD's website for more information and to find out what all of his rights are under that law. He is very lucky to have parents like you and his dad that are still there for him.

Good luck to you.