Quality of Life in Dallas>Question Details

Eva Ellis, Other/Just Looking in 91730

My husband (black) and I (white) are considering a move from California to the Dallas area (Garland, Rowlett

Asked by Eva Ellis, 91730 Fri Jul 13, 2007

Rockwall). We're in our 50's, married for 27 years. We want to buy a condo first to get to know the area. What do you think our chances are for a peaceful retirement? :)

Vicki Garza’s answer
Actually.....we are professionals officing in the Uptown Area of Dallas and have lived in a gem of a community in the Garland area for 23 years. We LOVE our neighborhood! It is surrounded by green belts, golf courses and parks. We raised our five children in this neighborhood and they all love it as well. It is so peaceful. We wake up to hear the birds singing. We can afford to live in any neighborhood in Dallas and the surrounding area and as much as we have looked over the years, we can't find anything that beats this neighborhood. Our daughter and her husband have home for sale up the street from us that is gorgeous and very peaceful. The value in this neighborhood can't be beat.

Their house is listed on the MLS. Go to Ebby.com and put in: 529 Country View Lane, Garland TX 75043.

The master bathroom is newly remodeled and looks like a 5 star hotel. Marble shower. Sep. Soaking tub. There is a wonderful black family that lives across the street who you would enjoy. We've known them for over ten years. He's a policeman for Dallas and she watches children. I can't say enough about this wonderful, peaceful place. We are planning to retire here, we love this neighborhood so much.

Best wishes in your search!
Vicki Garza
Dear Eva,

Congratulations first on being married for 27 years, you are blessed! Second for getting to say the words retirement in a sentence about yourself.

I don't live in Dalls but I do live in Houston. I have a number of REALTOR friends i'd be happy to refer you too if needed. As far as purchasing a condo first to get to know the area this could be a great option. My suggestion would be to talk to a local REALTOR in the area so that they can identify your needs and what options might be available to familiarize you with the area. As a Relocation Specialist in Houston, it is not untypical for me to spend an afternoon or two with some moving to the area. Showing them around, looking at different housing options, pointing out good restaurants, the parks, the schools and so on. I provide this service free. In many cases that alone will suffice and a client who had intended to rent first then buy will ultimately decide to go ahead and buy. I'm certain I know some REALTORS in Dallas who provide you this same option to get you comfortable with the Dallas landscape.

By the way, Dallas is lovely!

I hope i've helped.

Cherin Cox-Wiggins
RE/MAX Town & Country
Houston, TX
I myself am married to a black man & am white, so I do I understand the question you are asking. The answer is ultimately going to depend on the neighborhood. However, that’s not to say the Garland/Rowlett area is very forward thinking: they are not. First, I wouldn’t even enter Rowlett in your search, not that I know personally but as someone else stated, it’s a little redneck, or rather just rural. And, in this part of the country, the more rural areas aren’t as accepting of things like interracial relationships. Garland may be a much better consideration. My husband & I don’t live in a condo neighborhood: we live nearer to Baylor at Garland. However, we’ve never had any problems with our neighbors or encountered any outward racism when shopping, etc. That’s not to say we’ve not received any because we have. I will say this: the Garland Police Department is very racist, we’ve been stopped before & the officer was very rude & made his opinion very clear. Sometimes when my husband is shopping, if I’m not with him, he’s followed by a security officer or store employee. They know better to do it when he’s with me because I will call them on it.

If you would just rather have/buy a condo while you wait to feel out the city/neighborhoods before you buy a long term home & would prefer it be in the Garland area, then look for the newer condo’s that are springing up near Lake Ray Hubbard and/or Firewheel area, where the new Bass Pro Shop, Mall & big Movie Theatre has opened. Garland has spent a lot of money in revitalizing that area & it is the prime area to live in Garland. Good luck on your home search & your retirement. Obviously, my husband & I wish you well.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 7, 2007
Eva, Welcome to TEXAS. We're still not really big on condos here. There are some communities in Garland and Rowlett, but for the most part they are left over from the big BOOM and BUST condo scandles of the late 70s and early 80s. Where condos and townhome like developments really show some promise is the uptown, downtown, and oak lawn areas. Some of where you choose might also consider the lifestyle you want to live. Some areas might tend to be more open minded than others, some might have different age ranges than others, and then there are of course costs. Costs will likely be more in downtown area versus some of the outlying areas. Where you choose to live might also depend on if you plan to work and where that will be and also if you have hobbies or families that need to be near. Realtors shouldn't "steer" you to one neighborhood or another, but one thing you can do is pose the question of a peaceful retirement or any other concern or desire you have to the people you see in the neigbhorhood. They're often the best source of information. Hope this helps.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 14, 2007
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Garland , Rowlett is pretty much Redneck area. I am Indian married to black but I do not live in Garland, just know a bunch of them that live there :-)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 14, 2007
A hidden jewel -- the ENCLAVE AT GROVE HILL is the only NEW GATED COMMUNITY that is INNER CITY. the community is 4 miles to downtown. DAVID WEEKLEY is the home builder and is well known in the Houston and Dallas market. This community can be found at the intersection of LAWNVIEWN @ GROVE HILL; you can build a brand new home or buy and existing home. This is a surprise to a lot of folks - even the Dallas Police stats for 2009 show this community experience's the least amount of crime compare to the rest of the City! Folks call this community THE NEW EAST DALLAS........i hope this helps you out? Most important, do your research. one more thing, i'm not an agent just and person involved in his community.
As a Realtor I know I am supposed to advice you to buy, but frankly what is your rush? You really should rent for a while so that you can explore areas on your own. What if you buy a condo and then can't resell it? or don't like the neighborhood? Also you need to consider that condos can be more difficult to resell. If you don't want a long term rental sometimes real estate agents have clients who want to rent for a short term (my client did this for 3 months and it was a win win situation for both - the renter who was waiting for a home to be completed and my client who had their home for sale). As an ex-California myself I will tell you that you Texas is very different - definitely not California, but hey they have sushi so life is good!!
I used to live the White Rock/East Dallas neighborhood for a couple of years priot to moving to Austin and always found it safe and has easy access to other parts of town. Of all the different places I lived in Dallas (north, central, east) I enjoyed the White Rock area the best. Additionally, East Dallas is one of the few areas of town that has hills and trees which shouldn't be discounted.

Let me know if I can help with you financing in anyway. Although, I'm in Austin I work with D/FW clients all the time.

Good luck on your move!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 18, 2010
i am not an agent - the new east dallas is a great place to move too. a gate community/cameras/great hoa and 4 miles from downtown, 2 miles to white rock casa linda and 3 miles to town east!!!!
I think that you would love Frisco. A very up and coming area and there are condo opportunities that sound perfect for you.
Web Reference: http://www.homeferret.com
WELCOME TO DALLAS... any area is GREAT area depends on your lifestyle, where you will be working, what you can afford to purchase.
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
Hi Eva!

It will all come down to how much you want to invest. The downtown/uptown/N Oak Cliff areas are very forward thinking (I'm mixed, I know!) I would stay away from Rowlett ( a tad to red neck, I agree). There are some great places here in town. I'm not a Realtor, I'm a Real Estate Investor, so I'm limited to the properties I own myself. I do however have some nice condos... Feel free to contact me (817)944-1020