My home was built in 1976 & the contractor used ceiling tiles through the house do these contain asbestos?

Asked by reba_ann2001, Austin, TX Thu Apr 11, 2013

Answers

3
William Friedrich’s answer
William Frie…, Agent, Austin, TX
Thu Apr 11, 2013
Hi Reba,

While I was working for the City of Houston, I was responsible for obtaining Engineering Test Results for asbestos containing materials in city buildings. I do not recall having seen positive results for ceiling tiles. Having a tile tested for asbestos materials would best answer your question.
There are federal regulations regarding handling and disposal of asbestos containing materials (if found). Your best action at this time would be to have a tile (or several) tested by a reputable firm. Don't depend just on a Contractor.
There are slight variations of the regulations when it comes to you as the Property Owner.
As a Realtor I cannot advise you, except to advise that you obtain creditable testing results.

512-517-2961
Betina Forem…, Agent, Austin, TX
Thu Apr 11, 2013
Asbestos was commonly used in several building materials before 1978. You can have the tiles tested, which will let you know if you need asbestos remediation during removal. Typically homes built after 1978 do not contain asbestos.
Bill Austin, Agent, Austin, TX
Thu Apr 11, 2013
Reba,
This is not a question a Realtor or for that matter anyone can answer for you.
Wish it was that easy.