Anon, Other/Just Looking in California

Mountain House or Brentwood?

Asked by Anon, California Sun Apr 19, 2009

We are considering a move to Mountain House, but are also interested in Brentwood. I am looking for opinions regarding these communities their differences, and how they are as far as raising kids. I've heard the idea that a Master Planned Community is better, but I don't really see how, and both times I've been to either place I haven't seen any people anywhere, and as a Stay-at-Home Mom, I am a little concerned by this.

I am also wondering how the Mt. House high school students do being bussed to Tracy for do they adjust to integrating into a big school in another city? Do they feel a separation from the kids from Tracy, or do they feel more sheltered?

Thanks for your answers.

My husband works in Walnut Creek, so I think both towns are going to be a rough commute.

I feel like we'll the most for our money in Tracy, but my husband has been told that Mountain House has a first time buyers program with no down payment, and he is stuck on that. I just read a blog post that said the less money you have to put down on a house the less likely it is that the bank will accept your offer, so maybe this isn't our best choice.

It's very hard to decide! This is our first chance to get in the market, but we'll have to leave Walnut Creek, so we have to igure out the best route. I feel as though the market will turn aound faster in MH or Brentwood than Tracy, do you think this is true?

I live in Brentwood and have sold in both Mt House and Brentwood. If you have a family, Brentwood is a wonderful place to raise one. It is more established and has very convenience shopping. Mt House is very nice but it does have that ghost town feel. It will be very nice when business open up and more people stay in Mt House for the weekends. Of course, when that happens, I'm sure you will pay more for that convenience.

If you need more details, let me know and feel free to read my profile.

Realty World
The biggest consideration is where is your husband's job? Vasco Road to 580 is scary to drive.

Mountain House kids do just fine being bussed to Tracy, the new high school John Kimball opening in August will house Freshman and Sophmore's the first year, is where the Mountain House kids will go. They all go together, and all know each other.

There are numerous Mom groups, etc. Once your kids start school, you move in and the kids make friends, you will too.

Both communities have their pluses and minuses.