Is there anything that can be done, I paid rent and security deposit for my son to move into an apartment for?

Asked by Frances, 15204 Sat Apr 5, 2008

the first of the month, this includes a signed lease, now the apartment will not be ready until the 7th of the month, a week after the agreement, is there anything that can be done

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Sun Apr 6, 2008
I'm not a lawyer, so this isn't legal advice. But, first, read the lease and see if there are any provisions in there in the event the apartment is, or becomes, inaccesssible or uninhabitable. The lease itself may specify something, such as prorated rent for the month(s) in which that occurs.

Second, if the lease is silent on that, first find out what the law provides. Then, armed with that information, either: (1) try negotiating with the landlord, or (2) have your lawyer conduct the negotiations. Unfortunately, at several hundred dollars an hour, you'd probably end up paying a lawyer more than you'd save via a successful negotiation. Nevertheless, those are some of your options.

Good luck.
0 votes
Chris & Step…, Agent, Philadelphia, PA
Sun Apr 6, 2008
You can have the rent prorated for the month. Maybe also negotiate a lower rent amount for the month for the aggravation.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Horlow , , 19440
Sat Apr 5, 2008
were you notified of the delivery date?. How much effect has this caused you? ,I would ask for a proration, or a refund on the days of non occupancy on your next month's rent and make sure you get that in writing.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more