Is the crime really that bad in Gulfport & Biloxi, MS?

Asked by Laura, 33952 Sun May 17, 2009

Answers

3
Carolyn Hand…, , Biloxi, MS
Sat Sep 19, 2009
Dear Laura:

I would absolutely direct you to the police department in Biloxi or Gulfport or the Harrison County Sheriff's Department. I am a native of this area. Over the years we have gotten to be considered a "little, big city" but I would not consider our crime to be a "high crime area". Not even close. Like all cities, there are areas that are less desireable than others. If you have a specific area that you would like to inquire about, please feel free to contact me and I would be glad to tell you about it.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sat May 23, 2009
The best source for this information is the local police department or county sheriff's department. They have access to the most current and accurate information and are generally very willing to be helpful.

Damion Flynn, Agent, Saucier, MS
Fri May 22, 2009
What is your idea of bad crime?
I hate to answer a question with a question but it really is your perception of a bad crime rate. If you are moving from a small town with relatively no crime except for the one local drunk who gets put in jail Andy Griffith style, then the crime may be high, but I would not consider it high based on any other area of similar size and demographic.

citydata.com has some statistical data on crime (the last time I checked anyway) but it may be a good idea to call the local police station of sheriff's office. When working with buyers, I typically would advise them to call the local station to get the details on crime in the neighborhood if it is a concern.