Naomi Willia…, Home Buyer in Bowie, MD

Is the Catholic University/Brookland neighborhood a good place to rent and eventually buy a home for a single mom with two teen girls?

Asked by Naomi Williams, Bowie, MD Mon Sep 13, 2010

Answers

4
I rented in that neighborhood for 4 years and loved it. The area will see some major changes in the coming years as well, making it a great place to invest in my opinion. Amenities for the time being are sparse, but that will change when the developments planned around Michigan & Monroe streets, as well as the Main Street along 12th are completed. I'd say navigating the neighborhood for now is more dependent upon a car. But homes in that area offer tons of space, many have off street parking and most have yards. It's a quiet, family oriented neighborhood despite the student population from Catholic U. Here's a link to a recent Washington Post article about Brookland development.

Disclaimer: I am the marketing director for Federal Title & Escrow Company.
This area is priced extremely well for a potential buyer and might be just what you're looking for. Most people describe the Brookland area as a great neighborhood with friendly people, lots of families, and a relatively safe environment. I agree that you should go to see the area yourself. Get a feel for the neighborhood. I'd bet anyone you asked while walking through would give you their 2 cents.

You can take a look at the WashPost's neighborhood statistics and information for all area neighborhoods.

I've also linked to a great area blog. The neighborhood has a lot of history and families who've been there for a long time. It seems developers are starting to claim their piece of the area too... http://brooklandavenue.com/blog/?cat=149
If you are not familiar with the area, do visit more than once and at different times of day--look at everything that is important to you, possibly chat with locals, etc., then make your determination--will your comfort level be reached-- real estate professionals are prohibited from “steering”—enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods.
Hi Naomi,

As with any neighborhood, it is going to be imperative that you visit the area during both day and night, check with others who currently reside in the neighborhood and also get the crime stats from the local police station in order to get to your own comfort level.

The Brookland/Catholic University area is a pretty settled neighborhood with lots of new buyers moving in and well-worth checking into.