Daniel, Home Buyer in 94114

Is Pacific Beach a high crime area in San Diego?

Asked by Daniel, 94114 Thu May 3, 2007

I'm interested in more information on beach towns in San Diego.

Answers

20
Roberta Murp…, Agent, Carlsbad, CA
Sat May 12, 2007
Daniel: I would suggest visiting Neighboroo to discover all kinds of information about Pacific Beach. This short article explains what it does and provides a link:
Trevor Pike, Agent, San Diego, CA
Thu Jan 23, 2014
Daniel: There is a lot of good information from everyone below, and would also agree, with most, that Pacific Beach is one of the best beach cities to live in San Diego. I am a born and raised San Diegan, and PB has so much to offer, especially North PB, and your quality of life will continue to grow living an active beach lifestyle, never driving on the weekends and plenty of great people in PB. Like any town, there are some bad apples here and there, and HOT crime (theft, windows a jar, cars unlocked, etc) has been prevalent in all areas of San Diego over the last year. 92109 is a great area, and why buyers/tourists keep investing and coming back year after year. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Orlando Rocco, Home Buyer, San Diego, CA
Thu Dec 12, 2013
I love the town but yes it has crime. the guy that parks next to me got his motoercycle stollen.
Ryan Singh, Agent, San Diego, CA
Wed Jul 11, 2012
Crime is fairly rare in Pacific Beach. The overall crime rate is low - below average for the city. The overall crime rate is 38.94 per 1,000 residents. That means that the average resident has a 1 in 25 chance of being a victim of a crime. The vast majority of the crime is property crime (such as theft). Only 15 percent of crime is violent crime.

Violent Crime

Murder
There have been no recorded murders in Pacific Beach this year.

Rape
The rate of rape in Pacific Beach is 0.48 per 1,000 residents. This means that the average resident of Pacific Beach has a 1 in 2,083 chance of being a victim of rape.

Armed Robbery
Armed robbery is a crime where the robbers use weapons to compel the victim to give up their possessions. The armed robbery rate in Pacific Beach is 0.34 per 1,000 residents. This means that the average resident of Pacific Beach has a 1 in 2,941 chance of being a victim of armed robbery.

Strong-Armed Robbery
Strong-armed robbery is where the robbers threaten a victim with force but don't use any weapons. However, these crimes a no less dangerous than armed robberies - especially when large groups of criminals are involved. The strong-armed robbery rate in Pacific Beach is 1.01 per 1,000 residents. This means that the average resident of Pacific Beach has a 1 in 990 chance of being a victim of strong-armed robbery.

Aggravated Violent Assault
Aggravated violent assault is a threat or crime of violence against another person where there are aggravating circumstances, such as a weapon being involved. The aggravated violent assault rate in Pacific Beach is 4.22 per 1,000 residents. This means that the average resident of Pacific Beach has a 1 in 236 chance of being a victim of aggravated violent assault.

Property Crime

Residential Burglary
Residential burglary is burglary affecting a home or private residence. The residential burglary rate in Pacific Beach is 4.13 per 1,000 residents. This means that the average resident of Pacific Beach has a 1 in 242 chance of being a victim of residential burglary.

Non-Residential Burglary
Non-residential burglary is burglary affecting businesses or public buildings. The non-residential burglary rate in Pacific Beach is 1.34 per 1,000 residents. This means that the average resident of Pacific Beach has a 1 in 746 chance of being a victim of non-residential burglary.

Theft under $400
Theft under $400 is any crime where something of value worth less than $400 is stolen. These crimes are considered less severe than theft of more expensive items. The theft under $400 rate in Pacific Beach is 11.86 per 1,000 residents. This means that the average resident of Pacific Beach has a 1 in 84 chance of being a victim of a theft with a loss valued under $400.

Theft over $400
Theft over $400 is any crime where something of value worth more than $400 is stolen. The theft over $400 rate in Pacific Beach is 10.18 per 1,000 residents. This means that the average resident of Pacific Beach has a 1 in 98 chance of being a victim of a theft with a loss valued over $400.

Car Theft
The car theft rate in Pacific Beach is 5.38 per 1,000 residents. This means that the average resident of Pacific Beach has a 1 in 185 chance of being a victim of a car theft.

Registered Sex Offenders
The State of California maintains a list of registered sex offenders. By law, information about registered sex offenders is not maintained here. Please visit the State of California Megan's Law Sex Offender Registry to view a list of registered sex offenders in this area.

Live Crime Reports
San Diego County maintains an online map of crimes to which the police have responded. Use this map to explore the recent crimes in your area.
Web Reference:  http://www.crimemapping.com
Pete Middlet…, Agent, La Jolla, CA
Wed Jul 11, 2012
Daniel:
I recommend North PB or the Bay if you are looking for a safe environment to live in. Unfortunately, there is going to be crime in every city. You just need to know which areas are the safest.

I can guarantee nobody knows PB better than I do. Give me a call and we can discuss your options (858) 764-4808
Visit my "Pete Knows PB" Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/PeteKnowsPB
Orangebike, , Pacific Beach, CA
Mon Jul 9, 2012
Yes. PB has more aggravated assaults and and more violent crimes than any other community in San Diego. And so far this year, more rapes than any other community in San Diego.
I hate to say that, but check the San Diego police website, and look at their crime statistics. I have many friends who live in PB, which also has great schools, a wonderful climate, and lots of good stuff for families to do together.
Virtually all of the problems stem from a few rowdy bars in the Garnet Avenue business district. Up in the neighborhoods away from the bar zone, it's heaven on earth. With a few passersby urinating or throwing up in your yards, of course.
I would have no problem living in these neighborhoods. I would NOT recommend living anywhere within a half-mile of Garnet Avenue, between Mission Boulevard and Ingraham Street. That is, unless you LIKE the sound of police sirens and roaring drunks staggering past your house.
Neil Fjelles…, Other Pro, San Diego, CA
Tue Jun 5, 2012
This is a subjective question subject to your personal experience and perception. Most industry professionals will not comment due to the potential liability that can back to them. It is common for any of us to wonder about safety before moving into a neighborhood so you will need to rely upon public information, interview non-real estate related neighbors, visit the subject property at different times AND even then you will make a personal determination about how YOU think and feel. Here's an article at our consumer education site http://www.RentSenseBlog.com that might help as well http://www.rentsenseblog.com/?p=84 Neil Fjellestad
Pbspiritsdot…, Renter, Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Tue Jun 5, 2012
By day PB is a great community. Things turn south at night time when a lot of problems come up. We're working on them however. Some other sites to consider http://(www.sandiegoale.com, http://www.crimemapping.com and entering our zip code of 92109).
Jay Becker S…, Agent, La Jolla, CA
Sat Jun 2, 2012
Correction they are now using a .com

http://WWW.CITY-DATA.COM
Jay Becker S…, Agent, La Jolla, CA
Sat Jun 2, 2012
The best way to analyze crime data as relates to communities go to city-data.org

Jay S. Becker, PRINCIPAL / SR. REALTOR - licensed 21 years

Lux-RE Homes - a Full Service Real Estate Brokerage
direct: 858-222-4321 x 7
toll free: 888-589-7346 - (888-LUXREHOMES)
fax: 855-589-7346 - (855-LUXREHOMES)
email: Jay@OWN-SD.com

http://www.OWN-SD.com
John Tolerico, Agent, La Jolla, CA
Thu Dec 9, 2010
Having been a PB resident for most of the past 25 years, I would tend to lean toward saying that Pacific Beach is not a high crime area. PB is a great beach community that has only improved since the booze ban became law a couple years ago at local beaches, and now Kate Sessions Park has banned alcohol as well.

Do look at the police data as you will have to be the ultimate judge. Compare statistics against any other community you would be interested in living in.

Here is a great crime statistics web site to visit:
Web Reference:  http://arjis.org/
Sat Jul 31, 2010
Here's another site (pbSpirits.com) created to help people understand the alcohol-related issues in 92019's Pacific Beach. Sure, we're a paradise on earth but, every paradise has it's warts. Ours is our business district insofar as all the bars and pretend-restaurants acting as bars. Move here but, please help us clean this mess up. That'll be a real paradise.
Web Reference:  http://www.pbSpirits.com
Jill Wheeler, Agent, Del Mar, CA
Tue Jun 16, 2009
Daniel,

As a north Pacific Beach resident and real estate agent in this area, I think you also want to take into account the other positive lifestyle impacts that a coastal community such as Pacific Beach has to offer in addition to weighing the crime stats. While statistics may show that the 92109 area code rates 8 out of 10 for property crime, and 5 out of 10 for violent crime, while keeping in mind that that county and national averages are 4 out of 10 on both counts, Pacific Beach is still a great community with a lot to offer.
I'd say for general rule of thumb if you take the necessary precautions in terms of keeping you car and home safe (locked, personal items stowed, signs that someone is home,etc.) as well as being aware of your surroundings, Pacific Beach is as safe as you make it!
Julia Martin, , La Jolla, San Diego, CA
Fri May 30, 2008
HI Daniel,

Pacific Beach is a beautiful beach community in San Diego County. There are various age range from seniors beach bums to young beach bums and they mix very well. The crime rate in Pacific Beach is low and the crime rate has dropped. New laws in place you should be aware of is that there is an Alcohol Ban on all San Diego beaches for a year. Fines will be issue by city cops. This makes going to the beach great for the young and the old to enjoy. Memorial Weekend was a blast! High surf and sunny warm days. Catch a wave!

Julia Martin
Elite Real Estate and Financial
6 years living in Pacific Beach - one block from the ocean and lovin it!
Rob in Missi…, , Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Thu May 29, 2008
If you subtract , party citations, drunk in publics, DUI, and Bar Fights I would venture to say PB is actually one of the safer places to live in San Diego. Sure there are lots of college punks who are stirring up stuff, but its mainly with other college age punks. Many of the crimes are by college students or young professionals, so you can count on them not going to far for the most part. Just minor alcohol and party related incidents. Most of the big problems come during crowded weekends when the population triples with low income fold from the east county, inland valleys, and Arizona. Also do to the fact that so many people are crammed into such a small area. Besides that, in the winter, PB is a great place to live, especially if you are young and single.
Web Reference:  http://www.homesinpb.com
John, , Pacific Beach SD
Sat Mar 8, 2008
As an 8 year resident of PB, I don't think the crime level here is much to be concerned with. Most crimes here are of opportunity. While I have personally never had an incident, friends of mine with cars that scream "steal my stereo" have been burglarized. The largest problem you will face is dealing with drunks the closer you are to Garnet and the beach. But they are usually not that much of a problem. Just remember, this is a collage area with plenty of night life.
Neil Fjelles…, Other Pro, San Diego, CA
Fri Mar 7, 2008
What kind of crime? Are you most concerned about the number of incidences or the response time to the scene? Take a look at a map to determine how readily a criminal can flee the neighborhood or hide from apprehension. We have successfully managed a lot of property rentals in Pacific Beach, La Jolla, Ocean Beach, Mission Beach, Cardiff, Imperial Beach to Oceanside. Check out our website to see if it helps.
Web Reference:  http://www.FBS-PM.com
M, Home Buyer, 94114
Sun Mar 2, 2008
My 3 bedroom apartment was burglarized in 1986 in PB. They wiped us out. I don't know how much has changed in 22 years.
Charles Hosk…, Agent, San Diego, CA
Tue Jul 17, 2007
Another source of crime statistics is http://mapping.arjis.org/
Jaime & Alex…, , 91910, 91911, 91913, 91914, 91915, 92101, 92103, 92104, 92109, 92111, 92037
Fri May 11, 2007
The best way to find the aswer to your question is to visite the San Diego Police Department's website. They have a lot of infomacion broken down by areas.
I lived in Pacific Beach for over 10 years. Pacific Beach being close to the beach will have more renters, transients and homeless people, because of that you will have people coming in the area for a few months without employment. If you leave anything unattended that's worth a buck, it will get stolen. If you leave a bicycle locked to a post, the front tire will get stolen first, then the rest, leaving the frame. I've seen this many times. I had my bicycle stolen from a bike rack, someone cut
the chain lock. If you live near the bars, people getting drunk you will get more crime. Anyways, Pacific Beach has some very nice areas. If you live away from the bars and park your car in a garage, lock your door, and are security conscious, you should be okay. My car has been parked in parking lots, streets and it never got broken into or stolen. For crime stats check my website http://www.centralsandiegopropertysearch.com or the SDPD. If I can help you in any way just give me a call.
Flag Thu Dec 12, 2013