Quality of Life in Oakland>Question Details

Oaklandish, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

Is Oakland the next Brooklyn?

Asked by Oaklandish, Chicago, IL Tue Apr 2, 2013

Oakland already IS Brooklyn! The area from lower Park Blvd to lower San Antonio is on the old maps as Brooklyn. It tried to succeed from Oakland a long time ago. If you look on property records, and do some research about Oakland, particularly through The Cultural Heritage Survey,,, headed by City of Oakland's own historical expert Betty Marvin bmarvin@oaklandnet.com , you can learn a lot about Brooklyn, in Oakland.

Many of us were part of the Brooklyn Neighborhood Preservation group, that planted trees, worked on neighborhood issues, etc. and, that group will be starting up again!

Many of us still call our area of Oakland, Brooklyn! As someone born and raised in New York, (along with a lot of Oaklanders), I love this! I've lived here, in the Brooklyn area of Oakland for thirty five years.

Our area, just east of lower Park Blvd, has always been culturally diverse, with lots of community-involved folks. Now we have a few cafes and the great Champa Garden restaurant.

Oakland is still the most diverse city in the entire country!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 2, 2013