Jami, Both Buyer and Seller in Columbus, OH

Is Castro Valley CA a nice area?

Asked by Jami, Columbus, OH Sat Jan 26, 2008

Safe for kids, good schools, decent overall family area?

Answers

9
Bryce Greenf…, , Lafayette, CA
Sun Jun 29, 2008
Hi jami,
I'm a CV agent, and I lived in CV for 20 years. I grew up there, and went through all 3 levels of their public schools. I played in the community baseball and soccer leagues, and was also in a great Boy scout troop and became an Eagle Scout. I've since moved to San Ramon, which everyone would consider an upgrade, but it's pricier and not as centrally-located. Here's the truth about CV with no suger-coating. Let's look at the cities/towns it borders on the North, West, and South; Oakland, San Leandro, San Lorenzo, and Hayward. Aside from a handful of exclusive communities in the Oakland and Hayward Hills, Castro Valley is way nicer than all of those places in just about every way. MUCH better schools, MUCH lower crime, beautiful surroundings (parks, trails, canyons, Lake Chabot, Willow Park golf course, etc), higher household income, and a nice small-town feel. However, due to the close proximity to the questionable areas that Castro Valley borders, some of that element has crept in over the years, especially after BART came to town about 15 years ago. There are some parts of town with a high number of apartments and rental properties, and I wouldn't recommend buying in those parts. Also, there are some parts of town on the Hayward and San Leandro borders that while still in Castro Valley fall into the Hayward and San Leandro School Districts. If you've got school-aged children, I wouldn't recommend in those parts either. Almost all of the commerce in CV is on Castro Valley Blvd and Redwood Rd. Driving down those 2 streets you may see an occasional transient, or kids dressed like punks, but not often. For the most part, CV is quite nice. The only places in the East Bay that are nicer are very pricey, and may be out of your budget (Pleasanton, Piedmont, San Ramon, Danville, etc). CV offers a great value for the average middle class to upper middle class family. It's also probably the best all-around place to live for East Bay commuters. In sumation, there are parts of CV that range from ok, to good, to great. Your best bet is to team up with an agent who knows the area like an encyclopedia. There are many parts of CV that I guarantee you would be highly impressed with.
Bryce Greenfield
Meena Gujral, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Tue Mar 11, 2008
Hi Jami,

I lived in Castro Valley for 7 years. Castro valley is a nice little town, with very easy commute to some major freeways like 880, 580 and 92. All the Castro Valley schools are very good with some of the best elementary schools. Depending on your price range, two of the newer homes area are in Five Canyons and Palomares Hills. At this time there are some great listings on the market in both the areas. I would recommend that you check out Castro Valley on Sunday when there are many open houses especially in these two areas.

There are quite a few restaurants in Castro Valley and for shopping, I would suggest Stoneridge shopping center in Pleasanton which is a few miles drive from Castro Valley.

Castro Valley also has some good wineries.

Castro Valley also has some horse riding schools which my daughter had joined when we were there.

If I can answer any other questions, please feel free to e-mail me.

Meena Gujral
Murline Monat, Agent, Castro Valley, CA
Thu Nov 7, 2013
Jean Powers, Agent, Castro Valley, CA
Thu Jan 31, 2008
Jami, Castro Valley is a nice area and the prices are very reasonable right now. The commute across the Bay is not too bad either. This is one city you might want to consider.
Web Reference:  http://JeanSellsDreams.com
Chicken Litt…, , Castro Valley, CA
Mon Jul 23, 2012
Castro Valley is a terrific area if you love fast food! You can eat your way from one end of town to the other then go have a beer with your friends at the one of many lovely trailer parks that dot the downtown area. You will fare much better if you bring lots of money with you and head for the hills of CV which are filled with nothing but tract homes but they are different colors which helps not going into the wrong one.
Ms. K, Home Buyer, Castro Valley, CA
Sun Jul 20, 2008
I like it. It's OK. The downtown area needs to get a department store and many areas of Castro Valley have no sidewalks and occasional blighted areas. Because of the High School, we have a lot of speeding by young men in many parts of Castro Valley with huge monster SUV's or illegally loud motorcycles. I call C.V. a cowboy town! Planning trips around the village takes planning as to factor in gridlocked stores and parking lots. Serious crime does not seem to be around. A lot of spousal abuse and petty arrests for hard drugs like alchol abound in certain areas and are constantly listed in the Police Log in the Castro Valley. . Occasional homeless people. But it mostly the terible speeding, running red lights and deafening exhaust pipes all run in tandam with blazing rap music screaming from the car windows. Castro Valleyians are tough and many are red-necks. The weather is very good here and I think our downtown is good.
AJ Cohen, Agent, Danville, CA
Tue Feb 26, 2008
Jami,
I have lived in Castro Valley and my brother lives there now. It is a very nice community but there are definite areas that break down good school areas and not so good, you really need to find yourself in the upper CV, even if only on the right side of CV Blvd, it makes a difference in schools but also resale. Is this a relocation deal for you? Within our relocation department we offer an individual community booklet for each specific area and home, I would be happy to help you put something together.
You can reply here or contact me directly at ajcohen@apr.com.
Have a good evening,
AJ Cohen
Web Reference:  http://thebleierteam.com
Graham M. Lo…, Agent, Franklin, TN
Sun Jan 27, 2008
Jami- Castro Valley is a decent area. I personally lived there for about 7 years, but lived in the East Bay for over 45 years. My family and I moved 2 years ago to Franklin Tennessee. My personal opinion of downtown Castro Valley was that it was pretty un-inspiring. Also traffic can be congested. The hill areas are nice and going out through Crow Canyon is very nice. At the time we moved, I thought the Real Estate prices were way too high...but then we took advantage of that, sold, and moved. Castro Valley schools are rated fairly good, but certain areas of CV fall within the Hayward school district ,and my understanding at that time was Hayward was not rated as highly. Castro Valley also has BART and the 580 corridor running through it. It's nice to have that for transportation, but depending on where you live, your constantly bombarded with vehical noise and the screech of BART trains. Since it also is an interchange to going into OAKLAND or PLEASANTON, you'll get a lot of traffic helicopter noise and planes approaching Oakland International. Would I live there again...maybe in the right area and school zone. Just my 2 cents worth.
Pam Winterba…, Agent, Danville, VA
Sat Jan 26, 2008
Jami....

Castro Valley is a quiet bedroom community with great schools, nestled in the hills and riddle with lots of parks and recreation areas and a very nice lake with many hiking trails. I have lived there for 25 years and really loved it. Here is a link that may help you and if you would like more relocation information please let me know. http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genInfo.php?locIndex=9974
Web Reference:  http://pamwinterbauer.com