Quality of Life in Chicago>Question Details

Dr. Byan, Renter in Chicago, IL

I want to live in a high-rise, but I want the best views. What direction should my unit face for the best views of Chicago?

Asked by Dr. Byan, Chicago, IL Mon May 6, 2013

Answers

8
Dr. Byan,

That all depends on where you want to live in the city of Chicago, there are many factors that can affect your decision. Take in mind where to your work and what are the things you like to do.

This is what I have heard from my clients. My clients really enjoy buildings that can offer them lake views and city views. Clients that I have placed with just a lake view tell me the are beautiful during the day but at night all you see dark water. Clients that have city views and lake view get to enjoy the lake and the lights of the city at night. Depending on neighborhood you can actually find apartments that offer you a variety of views depending on how the building was built.

Of course the higher you are, the better the views, and the level of amenities in the building will determine your cost whether you buy or rent.
Dr. Bryan it really depends on what view you prefer, most buyers who like a view, like to see the lake,
so it will be either facing East or South East, depending on floor and unobstructed views. When for you the view is very important, you also need to make sure that your building is not facing a vacant lot or a lot with a low rise, that may be torn down one day and a high rise will go up in its place and your view is gone. There are also some nice views of the city, and some overlooking the Chicago River, so it really depends what it is that you are looking for.... When it comes to the high rise, you want to also make sure what additional amenities the building provides, and at what monthly assessment fee cost to you. There are also a lot of lovely buildings alongside Lake Shore Drive, and yes those will be with
unobstructed views over Lake Michigan if you are high enough above the Tree crowns....

If you work with an experienced Chicago Realtor, and our brokerage has many, and I would love to recommend a partner agent of mine in the city of Chicago to you.... that Realtor will then understand
what is most important to you, the size of property, the unobstructed views, amenities of the building
and all within your price range. Let me know if I can help with sending you possible properties by e-mail and connect you with a partner agent.

Let me know if I can help...
Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert

Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
And always with a SMILE 
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties Brokerage, 30 Green Bay Road, Winnetka, Illinois 60093
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at htttp://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 6, 2013
i would take the lake view!
It depends on where you live but my vote for a great view is looking both downtown and toward the lake. That being said I have placed some people who have gorgeous views looking out north and west away from the city. Both the lights and the sunsets can be spectacular.
Depends on where you are living ....a lot of people want to be in dowtown in lake views .
I just took a couple a listings in high Rise off Michigan ave and the the views are stunning !
It depends on where you are living in the city. Most people want skyline or lake views.
It depends entirely on what area of the city you're looking. There are high-rises from Rogers Park and Edgewater south to Hyde Park and South Shore. If you're up north, you want to look south. If you're south of the city, look north. Pick a neighborhood first and then determine which direction provides you with the view that makes you happiest. Too generic a question for a substantive answer.
It depends on where the building is located. If it is in Lincoln Park then maybe SE. If it is in S Loop then maybe N or NE. Lots of possibilities.