I own a unit in a condo building in New York City. The building has a roof deck which is a common area for

Asked by Jennifer, Brooklyn, NY Tue Apr 29, 2008

all residents to use. I would like to have a 20 minute marriage ceremony on the roof deack, with about 40 people in attendance, and my building manager has told me that this is not permitted. Specifically, he says that (1) the building is not zoned for such an event; and (2) the building's insurance will not cover this. I am very annoyed by this, as I think I am a part owner of the common areas and I pay monthly maintenance fees to maintain them. Does anyone know if the building manager is wrong and if there is anything I can do about it?

Answers

2
Matthew Pope, Agent, Palos Verdes, CA
Thu May 8, 2008
Jennifer,

Every condominium building has by laws that you can read in the condo offering plan, these are established by the sponser and of course with certain guidelines your condo board can amend some changes. However, your building manager is correct in the buildings insurance and may not have the liability for such a wonderful event, regards to not being zoned, that may be a incorrect it is not a commercial space that's being rented out. Good luck and best wishes to you and your future spouse, If you have any further questions do not hesitate to ask
Dahlia Summe…, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Tue Apr 29, 2008
Have other residents had any type of gathering on the roof with the same number of guests? Fireworks viewing? BBQ?

Have you read your condo rules regarding use of the roof?