I just recvd an answer from Dot Chance regarding my landlord possibly being in default. He doesn't speak

Asked by Michele, Norco, CA Mon Mar 31, 2008

english, and has not changed his address so we get all his mail. The calls come to our phone number now, for him. He also is keeping his dogs in the barn in the backyard, and has alot of junk which I have been trying to tell him he needs to move out. He put a padlock on the fence in the backyard and doesn't allow us back there, even though we are renting the house. Does this seem like a Fair Housing Act problem? How many months do you need to be in default before the mortgage companies start contacting him?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Sean Giorgia…, , 92553
Tue Apr 1, 2008
A Bank can give you a Notice of Default as soon as you've missed a payment. Generally, they wait until you are 60 or 90 days late. 90 days after the NOD they will file a Notice of Trustees Sale (NTS). Thge NTS sets a sale date no less than 21 days after the date of the NTS.

Once the sale has occured, it generally takes about a month for the Bank to knock on your door and ask you to leave. If you're lucky, they'll offer you what's called "Cash for Keys". If you're unlucky, they'll have the Sheriff evict you.

Unfortunately, Landlords all too often collect the rent while failing to pay the mortgage.

If you can call me at 951-571-9229 I will call the Title Company and do a search on filings against your property (which is more up to date than any online stuff).
Web Reference:  http://frclsrtv.com
1 vote
Dot Chance, Agent, Burbank, CA
Tue Apr 1, 2008
Michele, how did you know what you were agreeing to when you moved into your home with the language barrier between you and your landlord? Did you sign a lease?

You should do a google search on landlord/tenant rights for your area and see what he came up with. If neither of you understand what the other is saying he may think that he rented you the house only and you may think that you rented the entire property.

Again, you may also want to post a message on http://www.LawGuru.com and ask an attorney your questions.

My answers to you are based on the info you have given me and are my opinion only. It is hard to know how to answer sometimes without seeing the paperwork involved.

I'm so sorry for your troubles and wish you well - hope you get it all straightened out soon.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Quality of Life in Norco Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more