I have been in an apartment since Feb 08. It is now June 08 and I have had to call the police at least 5

Asked by Jackie Jones, Fairfield, CA Sun Jun 8, 2008

times due to loud neighbors. I have now had to call the police since I have a person banging on my door yelling and swearing. Can I break my lease since I fear for my safety and my daughters.

Answers

3
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Sun Jun 8, 2008
Read your lease. There's often language in there about what the landlord must provide. Is the landlord providing what he is obligated to?

If you're not sure, or if you think the landlord may be violating the lease, then go to a real estate lawyer. Or contact your local city government and ask for "landlord tenant assistance." That should point you in the right direction for someone to talk to who can advice you on what your options are.

SSC, Home Buyer, Vacaville, CA
Mon Jan 30, 2017
Put the complaints in writing and mail it to them. You are protected under California Civil Code Section 1927. Be mindful that this is a law that your complex has to adhere to. Also, know that not all things stated in a lease are enforceable or are limited to what is in the lease. The law supersedes. Everybody has a right to quiet enjoyment. If it is not quiet and the landlord does nothing, record it, have others witness it, call the building inspector to see if corners were cut with insulation, and sue in small claims. You can sue for the value of the apartment being less than fair market value related to noise and lack of enjoyment, all moving costs, emotional distress, etc.
Pepper, , Fairfield, CA
Sun Jun 15, 2008
Why are you calling the police for noise complaints? You are living in an apartment and there are certain things that go with living in an apartment; such as loud neighbors. I currently live in an apartment and accept the fact that there are others living in close proximity so it is normal to hear everything. Yes, it is really annoying and irritaing and you would hope that others would be respectful of your noise tolerance; but again it is an apartment and it is alright for others to live they way they do. Instead of calling the police, try talking to the offending neighbors first. The police have more important things to do than to take noise complaints. If you do feel unsafe in your apaprtment, your landlord should be able to make exceptions. I hope that everything works out, but please understand that apartments are never going to be quiet.
That is incorrect. I just moved to Vacaville, CA and can hear everything including snoring, sex, etc through my walls. I have never heard this in the past especially in 'Luxury' Apartments. I also move every 3-4 months for my job so I know what should and should not be heard. The law protects residents. Put the complaints in writing and mail it to them. You are protected under California Civil Code Section 1927. Be mindful that this is a law that your complex has to adhere to. Also, know that not all things stated in a lease are enforceable or are limited to what is in the lease. The law supersedes. Everybody has a right to quiet enjoyment. If it is not quiet and the landlord does nothing, record it, have others witness it, call the building inspector to see if corners were cut with insulation, and sue in small claims. You can sue for the value of the apartment being less than fair market value related to noise and lack of enjoyment, all moving costs, emotional distress, et
Flag Mon Jan 30, 2017