.,  in Temecula, CA

I have a room mate (Girl friend) that will not move out of my home. I keep asking her to leave and she won't. She has packed a few things in

Asked by ., Temecula, CA Thu Feb 23, 2012

boxes but then will stop and act like nothing has changed. Does anybody know how many days she has to be out of the house before I can put her stuff in the garage fand change the locks?

Answers

4
Bob Phillips, Agent, Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Thu Feb 23, 2012
First of all, JR, do you have a rental agreement, in writing, between the two of you?

Second, did you have your roommate SERVED with the necessary notice to QUIT? ( By an independent process server, or at least someone other than yourself?)

If you DO change the locks, without undergoing legal due process, SHE will be the one with legal grounds - probably - to have the Sheriff pay YOU a visit, to retrieve a key - for her - to the new locks.

As you might suspect, it's NOT as easy to get OUT, as it was to get INTO the situation, and you'd best step carefully, and dare I add, cordially, because she probably DOES have some rights, if she chooses to enforce them.

Web Reference:  http://SouthOC.info
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Thu Feb 23, 2012
AH, young love.
Realtors will not give you LEGAL advice and none of us are qualified to give you LOVE advice.

Good luck and may God bless
Gerard Carney, Agent, Spring Hill, FL
Wed Feb 29, 2012
do a formal eviction if needed. You can not lock her out if she is documented as a resident of the home. Examples of documented would be that she receives mail and that the address of your home is on her drivers license or other official documents!
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Thu Feb 23, 2012
A call to your local police dept might get you an answer or suggestion where to go for one.
If it's your house I think you can change the lock anytime you feel the need, but restricting her things and access might be a problem.