Quality of Life in 97439>Question Details

Sophia, Home Buyer in Coastal San Pedro, Los...

I am thinking of Retiring to the Oregon Coast, where should I look?

Asked by Sophia, Coastal San Pedro, Los Angeles, CA Mon Jul 7, 2008

Answers

10
As a nine year resident of Florence, not retired, and working full time as a real estate broker, many prospective buyers have asked me what makes Florence unique. The other respondants to your question have covered all the basics. There is one thing that sets us apart, and that is, the generosity of the people who live here. Last year, the Florence Relay fo Life raised over $150,000 and was the highest per capita fund raiser for cancer research in the nation! Our annual Rotary and Boys & Girls Club auctions raises $100,000 for scholarships and youth activities. Several years ago, a community fundraising effort resulted the the construction of a world class skateboarding park. All total, our community of around 20,000 people contribute over $1,000,000 each year to charitable organizations. This is a community with great heart. Our library, events center, hospital, pioneer museum, and no-kill humane society run largely on volunteer power. It's the people here that make the difference. I don't think you will find this answer in any of the guide books!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 23, 2009
Hi Christina,

My husband and I love the coast. It is so special living there and enjoying the family. The Oregon coast is truly the finest that there is to offer. You will love it!
Please stay in touch.

Cherie Thomson
541-999-5078
Hi Christina!

The Oregon Coast offers many great retirement options!

In my opinion, one of the best buys for the money is the South Coast areas of Coos Bay, Bandon, North Bend and Coquille. These are wonderful towns with a great sense of history.

The property costs are much lower as there is not much booming industry. Those areas have become great retirement communities due to low property cost and the wide availability of great health care and shopping. They also offer great golfing, dining and art/theater activities.

Coos Bay and North Bend offer boat moorage, camping, airport and other big city needs.
I too am considering retiring to the Oregon Coast. Are there any upscale condos for lease (or lease to own) near the ocean? I am looking at retiring from one state, moving to Oregon and continue working; however, it will be more like retirement because I will be living in an environment in which I want to retire. Thanks so much for any references!
D
That depends on what your needs are. Call me at 541-999-0511 and I will give you the pros and cons on on living on each area of the coast. For instance the weather varies greatly in the Florence Area. The closer you live to the beach, the cooler the summer time temperatures. Also each City long term resale values will be directly directly affected by the transportation corridors to Interstate 5. Flor instance, Florence is only a one hour drive from the second largest metro area in the State, Eugene Springfield. If medical facilities are important to y9ou then some towns on the coast have them and others do not.
Web Reference: http://www.florencere.com
Is Florence one of the areas with a good community hospital and so forth? I'm relocating as well................tried Lincoln City for 7 years (a vacation rental) and just didn't connect. I love Florence and don't mind being out of the middle of things as well.
Flag Sat Oct 26, 2013
You should definitely look at my home in Florence, which is in the beautiful central Oregon Coast. The home is situated on a bluff overlooking the Siuslaw River, with a view of the historic Florence bridge. On many a day we sit in our greatroom and watch the salmon jumping in the river below! This custom home was built in 2006 and features 3 bedroms, 2.5 baths, office, 3-car garage, covered RV/boat parking, greenhouse and heated tile floors in the master bath. All this and more is situated on 1.08 acres. We are willing to hold some paper for a qualified buyer.
For more info you may contact me at: sdf4angels@juno.com
That depends on your lifestyle. Each area of the Oregon coast has it's advantages and disadvantages. I have been practicing real estate here on the Oregon Coast for close to 30 years and have done a great deal of study (see my bio on my website) on how each area on the coast varies. Give me a call @541-997-5926 and I will give you a brief (no obligation) overview of the Coast to get you pointed in the right direction!
My husband and I came to Florence in 1994 he is a retired NYFD. The town is 60% retired folks just like ourselves and 2nd Home Buyers. In 2004 Florence was voted #1 City to retire to by Retirement Places, we were on the Today Show, USA Today, Money Magazine. Florence offers a wonderful quality of life good weather, services, entertainment, beauty and lasting friendships. We are 1 hour from Eugene the I-5 and the Eugene Airport. We are centrally located on the Coast, 3 hours to Portland, 6 hours to Seattle, 8 hours to San Franscio. For our retired buyers we offer retirement communties, Florentine Estates, Greentrees if that is not what you are looking for we have homes on the Siuslaw Riverfront, the Pacific Ocean, and there are 17 lakes to choose from. We have new construction in town if you are looing for new or many wonderful resales. On the water, in a subdivision, in the country on acreage, on the golf course (we have 2 Ocean Dunes Golf Link and Sandpines), condos, townhouses, manfactured we have it all. Lets stay in touch.
Sophia,
I would have to agree with the other agent that answered your question. Florence, Oregon is a very nice place to live and they beat out Yuma, AZ for the #1 spot to retire in the U.S. in I think (2004) I have an associate that lives and works over there, and would be happy to work with you. His name is Bill Free of Free and Associates Auction/Realty. He has a nice place listed that is just a few blocks from the new Casino that was recently re-opened to it's new very nice Building. Rivers, Dunes, Lakes, Etc. Give Bill a call @ 503-999-0196 We may have an Auction property coming up real soon that would fit your needs.
Web Reference: http://www.TimStuart.com
Florence, Oregon is a top retirement choice located on the central Oregon coast along U.S. Highway 101, the Pacific Coast Scenic Byway, providing convenient access to a host of outdoor recreational activities and breathtaking scenery. The Florence, Oregon area is popular as a diverse and rich "playground" destination, where lush green forests meet the ocean's edge along one of America's most beautiful and dramatic coastlines. We are fortunate to be situated amid the Oregon Dunes and Siltcoos Recreation Areas, providing a host of outdoor activities. In addition, we are conveniently located to major Oregon Coast attractions such as the Sea Lion Caves, Heceta Head Lighthouse, Oregon Coast Aquarium, casinos and outlet malls.

Florence has a steadily growing population of over 7,000 and serves a market base of approximately 20,000. It is the largest community in western Lane County, and is a center for business, medical care, education and other services. The town is also accessible via Oregon Highway 126, from Eugene; Oregon's second largest city and home of the University of Oregon. Hwy 126, a one hour scenic route, runs from the fertile Willamette Valley and then along the Siuslaw River, which flows through coastal mountains to Florence and the Pacific Ocean.

I'd be more than happy to provide you with any information I can about Florence, let's keep in touch!