Anabel, Other/Just Looking in New Jersey

I am renting a basement without permission. Now my landlord is saying that she is being fined bacause of

Asked by Anabel, New Jersey Sun Oct 26, 2008

this, she was told by an inspector I must move out in eight days, by law, don't i have 30 days??

Answers

3
Joe Chang, , Paterson, NJ
Tue Jan 20, 2009
Most tenants "illegal tenants" in basements and attics, are awarded six months of rent as "relocation assistance" in court, this is for New Jersey and is statewide. This is obviously a strong deterrent to renting out illegal spaces. You are generally given more time to leave. Eight days sounds like your landlord is trying to pull a fast one. I know this is being posted months after the original posting, but hopefully someone finds it informative.

*Please note that this is general information only, and not to be construed as legal advice, if you would like a consultation please feel free to call and make an appointment"
Law Offices of Chang & Scolavino, LLC
Paterson and Freehold, New Jersey
973.925.2525
"Criminal, Real Estate, Litigation and Immigration Law"
"Somos abogados hispanos y entendemos sus problemas"
Kenneth Verb…, Agent, PRINCETON, NJ
Mon Oct 27, 2008
speak with an attorney, while you likely will have to move out you may have recourse against the landlord who put you in illegally. (perhaps you can get some of your rent back or damages due to the cost of moving etc.)
John Sacktig, Agent, New Jersey, NJ
Sun Oct 26, 2008
You are in a illegal apartment... so you are at the mercy.

But! ( I am not an attorney) a friend had been in this situation in NY.. I spoke to an attorney friend who said that If they were living in an illegal apartment and the tenant had reciepts of paying the landlord..
the landlord would have to pay back all the rent that was paid.. or be reported to the local tax office and such.. you have options here. Contact an attorney.

good luck.