Mover01, Home Buyer in Rancho Bernardo, San...

I am interested in moving to Rancho Bernardo but have heard there are covenants and rules based on various areas. Where can I find the specifics ?

Asked by Mover01, Rancho Bernardo, San Diego, CA Wed Jan 11, 2012

Another option would be to live in the County as opposed to a City. I've lived in a very quiet, quaint and peaceful part of North East Vista called the "Buena Creek Area" for over 30 years. It's a semi rural area with 1 acre minimum parcels and no CC&R's.

You can do just about anything you want on your property without having to deal with busy body neighbors complaining about your boat being parked in your driveway overnight or a guest parking their car in the street while visiting you for a few days.

Personally, I grew up as a child in cookie cutter neighborhoods and couldn't wait until the day I could afford to purchase my own home on my own piece of property to do as I choose with. But that's just my opinion. Lot's of folks prefer a more regimented, organized and structured lifestyle hence RB type communities are perfect for them.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 11, 2012
All these answers so far have been good. Keep in mind though, that subdivisions without HOA's also can have CC&R's issued from the builder when the neighborhood was planned.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 11, 2012

The main thing to keep in mind about RB is they have age-restricted areas. In other words, you have to be of senior age to live in that development .. IE 55, 65, etc. This is where a real estate agent can be of help.

The CC&R have never been a problem per-say, albeit they do have certain restrictions. It is my personal belief that these restriction help keep the neighborhood values up ... They mostly include things like the color of paint you can put on your house, restrictions on RVs etc. These are not always bad things ...

-- Rod --

Have you been to Rancho Bernardo yet? Is there a particular neighborhood of interest? Your agent can do the research specific to any concerns you have. I have lived here for 16 years and love the area. There are many areas in Rancho Bernardo that do not have, or have very low Mello Roos taxes, which is a real benefit. Some of the neighborhoods also have very reasonable HOA fees for what you receive in return. I would be happy to answer any questions about RB.

Kind Regards,

Marcie Sands, REALTOR
Rancho Bernardo
Simply The Best Real Estate Company, Inc.
Hi Mover1,
I think everyone here has pretty much nailed it. Each complex/subdivision is different so your approach should be to identify ones you like and work backward from there. I love Rancho Bernardo and have worked here for 8 years. I also love 4S Ranch, which is adjacent to. Feel free to contact me directly with what you are looking for and I would be happy to jump in and do the research for you.

Sinead McAllister
McAllister Homes Real Estate
You're right much if not most of RB does have some pretty stringent CC&R's. If you're the type that likes an open air freedom type of lifestyle and not have to be hand-cuffed by lots of prohibitive rules, regulations, cans, cannots, etc this may not be for you.

I've actually had clients that couldn't stand to have their feet held so closely to the fire. One client loved woodworking in his garage/woodworking shop. in the evenings when he came home from work. He never worked past 8pm with any power tools and always kept the garage door closed.

However, in his particular development the CC&R's prohibited such activity. So he sold his RE home and purchase a one acre lot whence he built his own custom home and 3 car garage and a detached 800sf woodworking shop. He now lives happily ever after in his own space and can whittle away late into the night to his hearts content.

I also had a very good friend of mine who loved to work on his dune buggy and boat. He ran into the same situation but loved his home. So we had to find him a workshop nearby in a commercial zone whereby he could work on his hobby.

But in answer to your question you need to first select the area of RB you wish to live in and then have your RE professional obtain a copy of the CC&R's for your perusal. Another thing you could do if your the outgoing and fearless type is to reach out to some residents and potential neighbors and get their opinions on the development you're interested in.

But I'd tend to stay away from anyone on the POA or HOA board if you want a totally objective overview. Board members have a fiduciary obligation to uphold and enforce the CC&R's and can more often than not render opinions that fall far short of the mark and the objective and unbiased opinion you really need to know about.
Each HOA has a web page, and that is where you can find the regulations. They are for the most part aimed at keeping a continuous look and feel to each community. For instance, no boats or RV's can be parked long term in the driveway or front lawn. No broken down vehicles up on blocks. No chickens in the yard. If you are going to paint outside your house, you submit the proposed color to the committee for approval. That seems restrictive but once my neighbor did not do this. he bought paint because it was on sale, and the house looked like a giant toy because he picked Fisher Price colors. You can find the names of the different communities by starting with I have lived here since 1985 and I really love it.
Hello Mover01 -
I agree with what has been said and usually a title company can provide copies of these documents for you to review. I live in the Montelena development of RB and would suggest you go to for additional information on that area. Feel free to call with more specific questions about these areas.
Jeff Smith
HOM Sothebys International Realty
Adam is correct. Such CC& R's (covenants, conditions and restrictions) are not at all unique to Rancho Bernardo. They exist on most properties in varying degrees. While in some situations they restrict you from using or making modifications to your home in a way you wish, they are also designed to maintain values and create a living environment that many people desire. If you have specific concerns, as Adam indicated, an agent can help you research what areas may not work for your plans. Some restrictions are historically poorly enforced or ignored, but that could potentially change over time, so it is good to go in with eyes wide open. You will get a copy of the CC&R's during the escrow period and have an some time to review them before removing your purchase contingency.

Jim Fishinger
Excel Properties

Rancho Bernardo ("RB" to those of us who live here) is a master planned community with many different subdivisions. Most of these subdivisions have their own CC&Rs. As such, you'd do well to focus on the specific areas of RB you are interested in, then review their CC&Rs for any specific issues you may be concerned about.

Please feel free to contact me directly for additional information.

Adam Mallory, Broker, ABR, e-Pro
DRE #01727909
Web Reference: