I am in a 13-unit condo. The President of the condo Board has appropriated a 250 sq ft basement common area

Asked by Brian, Chicago, IL Tue Mar 11, 2008

that used to be our common/game room for personal use as a living space/work space paying $10 a month to the Board (It's listed as Storage on invoices from the management company.) I've offered over $100 a month to the Board to use the space as storage ONLY. (I'm in a 1-bedroom and desperately need storage space!) The Board has turned me down several times despite the fact that they need money for repairs and would rather do a special assessment than take $1200 from me! Suggestions, please?

Answers

1
Stacey A. Ma…, , Westfield, MA
Tue Mar 11, 2008
Hi Brian, I have two suggestions - first, read through your condo docs and find out what it takes to get elected to the Board. In a 13 unit complex seats may not come up very often, but eventually, you should be able to obtain one and fight the system from the inside. Second, what you are describing sounds like a blatant ethical breach on the part of the Board President. If he or she is willing to do something so obviously against the interests of the group publicly, what can you imagine is happening behind the scenes? Why exactly is there a budgetary shortfall? Keep working on it, common sense and persistence will win out in a crowd almost every time. Best of luck, Stacey