How's life for elders in San Jose?

Asked by Andrew Dodry, New York, NY Sun Dec 9, 2007

Answers

3
CJ Brasiel, Agent, San Jose, CA
Thu Dec 13, 2007
There is a lot to offer active adults in San Jose. First and foremost we are blessed with some of the best medical facilities in the country. Locally, some of the options are the world renowned Stanford Hospital in Palo Alto, the University of San Francisco Medical Center, and the extensive Kaiser Medical System available throughout the Bay Area.

Secondly, the community and senior centers offer a great deal of activities to choose from and there is almost one in every neighborhood. These centers provide everything from organized trips to Las Vegas to computer classes, to community gardening. I have included a link but you can also search the web for senior centers San Jose and read about all the different activities.

Finally, the mass transit system is not as connected as other metro areas but if you choose the right neighborhood, you can access the light rail, Cal Train, and BART fairly easily. There also several transport services in the area to help those with special needs.

I believe the strongest vote for San Jose and elders is the variety of activities the city has to offer. Theater, community groups, an active library system, and lots of volunteer opportunities allow many opportunities for the active adult. Contact me if you would like more specific information about a certain area of San Jose.
Denise Stuart, Agent, San Jose, CA
Thu Dec 13, 2007
We here in Berryessa area of San Jose have a wonderful program for Seniors, my neighbor runs the Senior programs in the Berryessa Community, if you'd like, forwards me your information and I will forward it on to them.
Denise Stuart
Coldwell Banker
Michael More…, Agent, Los Gatos, CA
Mon Dec 10, 2007
Hi Andrew,

I noticed you are from New York. I can tell you that are transit system does not compare to NY. However if a senior still drives it is easier to get around here.

The San Jose area also has a lot to offer. Sports, Entertainment, Performing Arts, 5 star restaurants etc.
Our weather is much more moderate than NY's as well. During the winter it does not get much colder then mid 30's with hardly any snow . During the summer usually does not get much hotter than 90's with little humidity.

There are many housing options with several levels of assisted care if needed. Prices for homes range from the mid 500k's on up.

I would recommend you check out this website that addresses some concerns that Seniors may have
and what a SRES designee can help you with:

https://www.seniorsrealestate.com/sarec/servlet/consumer
Web Reference:  http://www.mikemoresco.com