Hi - My husband and I are planning on relocating to the Eugene area with our 1 year old son. Are we making a good choice? (Education, crime, etc.?)

Asked by Seekairun, 97405 Tue Feb 28, 2012

Is buying a home and raising a child in Eugene a good idea based on current real estate, crime, drug trends? What about the public education available there?

Answers

4
Patty Keene, Agent, Eugene, OR
Thu Nov 1, 2012
Eugene is one of the few truly livable and walkable towns. We have two clean rivers flowing through our community, bike and walking paths, many city parks and just an hour from both the mountains and the Oregon coast. This town is not too big or too small. It's just right. The schools are excellent, with caring teachers. I raised my family here and would highly recommend it to you.
Callan Colem…, Agent, Eugene, OR
Sun Apr 1, 2012
I am 43, was born in Eugene, have lived in Portland, OR and Los Angeles, CA, and say that Eugene is an excellent place for quality of life, and education. As a product of the Eugene school district, and long time employee before I started real estate, I feel that our education system is quite good, filled with dedicated, caring teachers, administrators, and assistants. I was one of few black students, yet I never felt singled out or discriminated against by the adults who worked with me, and this was through the 70s and 80s. The district cares very much for children of all background and abilities, and works really hard to overcome the financial challenges that all public school districts constantly face.
The crime rate is relatively low, and I have always felt very safe going to each different area of the city. It is an excellent place for outdoor activities, and for taking in great sports, food, and arts. We have been blessed with world class events such at the U.S. Track & Field Olympic trials for the second olympiad in a row, and I am able to ride my bike to the events on one of the many bike paths established here. We have the Bach festival each summer which brings in artists from all over the world for several weeks of concerts and seminars on classical music. I could go on and on about the rich life I have lived here, the amazing concerts I have taken in, and the peaceful life I enjoy with my wife and 2 year-old.
I say that Eugene & Springfield are different in some ways, and both are very nice places to live. I will say that each is beautiful, is managed well, and have some cultural styles that are different. I have seen that Eugene & Springfield have co-existed in an excellent way, learning from each other in some really healthy ways. Both cities have grown at reasonable paces, have adapted to modern times, really try to bring in good new business bringing in new jobs and economic growth. I have friends who live & work both in Eugene & Springfield, and I don't feel that I am going to another world when I go to Springfield, any more than they feel anything different when they come here. We all live and work in the same community, in many ways it feels like one big community sharing the riches of the beautiful Willamette Valley together.
We are 1 hour from the Ocean, 2 hours from a major city, a few minutes from wineries, nurseries, hikes, and berry farms. Minutes from charming small Oregon towns that boast their cultural fairs, antique shops and local organic eats. We are 2 hours from world class skiing and rock climbing in central Oregon, and just a few hours from Northern California where you can visit the Redwood forest and amazing Lake Shasta.
You can search for different websites on info about Eugene. Here is one link below.
How difficult is it to find employement?
Flag Sun Sep 23, 2012
Great info!
Flag Sun Sep 23, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. It's really encouraging to hear from someone living happily in Eugene with a young child. I may have to bug you in the near future about where to take a toddler out for fun. :)
Flag Tue Apr 3, 2012
Mark Moore, Agent, Veneta, OR
Sun Mar 11, 2012
I see you only got one answer and that from an agent in New York State, and while her answer was both solid and comprehensive, agents outside of the State of Oregon (or any other state for that matter), sometimes are unaware of the particulars of that state. That said, Oregon Agents are not allowed to make school recommedations, however, we can recommend websites that would allow purchasers to find school or other information. I can recommend doing a google search on Eugene with several other tags and that should give you plenty of research material. As for Eugene proper, yes this is a nice place to live, I relocated here with my wife in 2003, educational facilities here are very good, medical is excellent and crime is relatively low, but as for specific neighborhoods that is something to again be researched because we are also not supposed to be "guiding" buyers. I5 separates Eugene and Springfield, both very old Oregon communities but with opposite personalities, we also have nice "bedroom communities" close by, so depending on your work location you also need to consider your commute. If you need specific information and do not yet have a Realtor in our area, please feel free to contact me re your concerns.
Best wishes,
Mark Moore, 541-607-9787
mark@greatoregonrealestate.com
Hi Mark - thank you so much for taking the time to write this. I really appreciate your local point of view. We are determined to make the move. My hesitation is whether I am doing a good thing for my 1 year old son. I personally love Eugene. I did make a connection with a local real estate agent there who is going to help us find a rental and eventual purchase. If for any reason things don't' work out I'll be sure to give you a call. Thanks again!
Flag Wed Mar 21, 2012
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Tue Feb 28, 2012
For school information see links http://www.greatschools.org/ http://www.schooldigger.com/ When it comes to any safety/crime related issues, it's always best to contact the local police department with all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand. If unfamiliar with the area(s) do revisit more than once and at different times of day, possibly chat with locals/neighbors. Real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods.
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/
https://www.crimereports.com/
http://www.homefair.com/