Canadian retirees looking for a winter home in the Phoenix area, where should one concentrate on looking?

Asked by Michel Brisebois, Vancouver, B.C. Canada Tue Nov 27, 2007

We would like to be relatively close to airport, close to shopping, restaurants, etc. Looking for 2 to 3 bedrooms, 2 bath, gated community might be best as we can only be out of the country 6 months max. Don't mind a manufactured home and want as close to maintenace free as possible. Is there anything below 200k? Or are we dreaming?

Answers

51
Valdemar’s answer
Valdemar, , El Paso County, TX
Mon Apr 30, 2012
HELLO GUYS, WE ARE LOCATEDIN A EVEN BETTER PLACE THAN ARIZONA, WE ARE LOCATED IN MORELIA, MICHOACAN, MEXICO. NEVER TOO HOT OR COLD, WE HAVE I´M SURE THE BEST WEATHER IN THE WORLD, AND WE HAVE A QUINTA, VERY CLOSE TO LPGA GOLF COURSE TRES MARIAS, AND REAL CLOSE TO SHOPPING MALLS AND RESTAURANTS, EVEN TO THE BEST SATE UNIVERSITYS, SO IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO TAKE A LOOK AT SOME PHOTOS PLEASE LET US KNOW AND WE WILL SEND YOU SOME, I´M SURE YULL LOVE IT. AND YOU´RE NOT DREAMING THE PLACE IS ABOUT 200K.
David Dion, Agent, Mesa, AZ
Tue Nov 27, 2007
Here are some options. There will be amny more in addition to these. I am assuming active adult communities are acceptable.

Trilogy at power ranch has some homes right at the $200,000 range. Trilogy is located in Southwest Gilbert and is located about 4 miles from the new freeway. There are lots of new shopping areas going in along the freeway.

Sun Lakes is located just south of Chandler. There are homes of all price ranges there. There is a lot to do in the vicinity. Very good access to freeway and airport.

Gold Canyon will have some options right at the $200,000 range. Gold Canyon is nice as it sits at the base of one of the nicest mountains in the valley. It is a bit further out, but has great freeway access. There is decent shopping within 15 minutes.

Of course I can help you out with any of these areas. I am sure there will be other agents recommending other areas also. Myself and many of the agents who will respond will have access to great tools to make your search easire. As you know this is a great time for Canadians to buy and we have helped many recently and in the past, eh...

Happy House Hunting
Nick K. Mann…, Agent, Tucson, AZ
Wed Jun 4, 2008
Hello Mr. Brise - On your next trip to AZ, I'd like to offer you a private guided tour of NW Tucson and show you the fine homes in the area that would meet your short and long-term goals of 2nd home ownership. While Scottsdale is a fine area, it certainly will strain the finances - especially in the long term.

Tucson on the other hand is growing at a steady pace and offers an incredible array of shopping, restaurants, events and attractions to keep anyone happy. The NW side of Tucson is only 1 hour 25 minutes from the Phx airport with an incredible selection of homes that could fit your needs.

My website will provide you with a great overview. I specialize in this area and would be delighted to show you the area at your convenience. Less congestion, steady growth and good lifestyle make Tucson a great long-term investment.

Thanks and all the very best in life,
John Mankins, , 81122
Tue Apr 29, 2008
I'm a real estate broker from Colorado and I own a second home (condo) in north central Phoenix. We chose our location for some of the same reasons you indicate are important for you. A small unit in our complex would be a 2 bedroom 2 bath unit with one car garage for around $250,000 (and up for larger units). It's in a gated community with a heated pool. The airport is only 10 minutes away as is downtown and there are many of the attributes you say are important to you in the north Phoenix area. Scottsdale's down town is about 15 minutes away, and there are golf courses nearby. I'd suggest you look in Realtor.com by zip code and perhaps look in the 85018 & 85020 zip codes. Good luck in your search!
Don Reynolds, , 85239
Sat Apr 26, 2008
I have seen many Canadians in Maricopa. You will find many homes under your price. See my property at http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p174285 I vacation rent mine out when I am not in Arizona and it pays the mortgage for the year.
The Amy Jones…, Agent, Gilbert, AZ
Wed Feb 27, 2008
Hi Michel,
I sold 2 properties to Canadians just last week and am working with several other Canadian buyers. There is a really nice gated condo community where you can buy a totally remodeled 2 BR condo with new granite countertops, new 20" tile, new upgraded carpets, and all new stainless appliances & new washer & dryer, all for under $200,000. The community is in a great location near restaurants, shopping, entertainment and a quick commute from the airport. The community has 2 swimming pools, clubhouse & fitness center. In the last few months several Canadian families have bought one of these units after scouring the valley for a perfect spot. My Canadian buyers have said they would be happy to share their search experience and information with any of their fellow Canadians looking for a vacation property in the valley. Let me know if you would like more information. Cheers!
Amy Jones amy@amysellsaz.com 480-250-3857
Web Reference:  http://www.amysellsaz.com
Richard Dobb…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Wed Nov 28, 2007
Hello, Michel. I am currently working with four other Canadian buyers at the present time who are doing the same thing you are considering. The timing is certainly right to make an investment in a winter home in the Phoenix area. With more than 50,000 homes currently on the market the selection is great and there are some very good deals out there. In combination with the increased value of the Canadian dollar vs the US dollar, the timing is perfect.

When you ask the type of question that you are asking I am sure you are going to get a lot of different answers. And they may or may not be the right answer for you since it depends entirely on your criteria. My choices for you to look would be Fountain Hills or Scottsdale. You will be 20-25 minutes from the airport and, in many cases, within walking distance to great shopping and dining. Since I have been researching this market for other clients with similar needs, I have run across some nice condo/townhome units in the $200,000 range, + or - $20,000. I would be happy to send a group of properties to you for your review or you could do some additional searching on our website. There you will find more information about the area, specific properties, and the Berg-Dobbles Team.

Please call or email with additional questions and I would be happy to help in any way I can.

Rick Dobbles
The Berg-Dobbles Team
Realty Executives
Mr.P, , Arizona
Tue Nov 27, 2007
Michel,

I think you would really enjoy Harbour Village in The Lakes community, located in Tempe AZ.
The Lakes is a 35 year old community with it`s own Beach and Tennis club, 80 acre Lake, great for fishing, and Mature Landscaping.
Their are 3 Lakefront condo available from $235-$320. 1100 Sqft- 1850Sqft. Close to everything.
Walking distance to pier 54, which has live entertainment every weekend.

Their are also un gated townhouse`s ( 4 to be exact) 2 or 3 bedroom from $180- $210. ranging from 1100 Sqft to 1400 sqft

I really don`t think that you should limit yourself to a condo or Manufactured home in a gated community.

You can always hire a caretaker, or rent it out when your back up north.

If you are going to spend about 200K you can find yourself a nice single family home, which will be a better investment, For the extra few dollars you pay in monthly maintenance.

Be sure to check out my website, where you will find all the listings, and a detailed map of the area.
No registration required.

I hope this helps

Patrick Mahony
480-543-9899
http://www.ITSRealEstateAZ.com
Tomaara Rand…, , Phoenix, AZ
Tue Nov 27, 2007

How do you feel about townhomes? Due to being able to only be in the the country for 6 months max, this would be the least maintance for you. You could also rent out the townhome when you are not in the states, making money for you while you are away!! I have several out of country clients who love to do this and there are certain areas where renting out your unit is more desirable. Please feel free to contact me if you would like more information. Dreaming is good, but making it a reality is great!!~!

Tomaara Rand
Century 21 Desert Estates
623-256-8874
The Amy Jones…, Agent, Gilbert, AZ
Tue Nov 27, 2007
I live and specialize in Sun Lakes AZ. I think it's one of the best Active Adult communities for it's proximity to shopping, dining & theaters as well as it's proximity to the airport.

Sun Lakes offers all ranges of homes from manufactured to homes over $700,000 and gated. There are amenities such as golf, tennis, swimming, walking paths, activities galore. Check out the Sun Lakes Website at http://www.robson.com/page.cfm?name=SunLakes_

There are currently 374 active listings in Sun Lakes ranging from $99,000 to $750,000.

I've been working with several Canadian families over the last few months. It's a great time for Canadians to buy in Arizona and I welcome you!
Kathy Workman, Home Seller, 85223
Sun Jul 6, 2008
I have a 3 bedroom 2 bath home for sale in Arizona City, Az. Quiet neighborhood, many homes on our
street live here 6 months out of the year. We live here full time and no problem with empty homes while
people are gone . Our home is turn key, not far from Golf course. Only want to sell to move back to Ca to
be closer to family. We are 10 minutes from new shopping center. Arizona City is between Phoenix and
Tucson and close to Freeways. Must see to appreciate. Let me know if you are interested in Pictures
Selling for $180,000 which includes stove, microwave, refrigerator, washer & dryer., 2 car garage, block
wall fence. Landscaping in front & back. Misters on Patio, designer paint inside. Ready for you to move
in with no work at all.. Look forward to hearing from you.
Kathy Workman
Lona King, Agent, Sun City West, AZ
Fri Jul 4, 2008
Have you checked out the northwest valley of Phoenix? Sun Village, Pebblecreek, Arizona Traditions, Trilogy and Corte Bella are all gated active retirement communities. Check them out on my website http://www.azteamwork.com. We specialize in these retirement commuities.
Lona King
Windermere West Valley
Web Reference:  http://www.azteamwork.com
Michel Brise…, Home Buyer, Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Wed Jul 2, 2008
Thanks, but we're city folks.
Jane, Home Seller, Arizona
Wed Jul 2, 2008
I have a NICE, 3/2 CUSTOM HOME, 1 ACRE, FULLY LANDSCAPED, 1800 ft2, BLOCK WALL, BRAND NEW PAINT/CARPET/FIXTURES, EVERYTHING --- for $300,000. We are located in SUNORA, not far from VERRADO, in BUCKEYE... WEST VALLEY... Let me know if you're interested and you can save on Realtor fees!
Sat Jun 14, 2008
Thanks Ed, but Rio Verde is too far... I'm sure its nice, but can't see taking a cab there from airport.
Ed Keiper, , Ontario, CA
Sat Jun 14, 2008
Hi Mike; Check out Rio Verde And Tonto Verde. It is zip 85263, Close to to Fountain Hills and Scottsdale.
Single and patio homes, one level living, desert and golf. We are from Ontario and bought in April this year.
200 k even for 2 bed,2bath and double garage.
Ed
Fri Jun 13, 2008
Sunnyaz, we did go to Casa Grande last xmas.... cool...and what you say is exactly what I told my friend... you don't drive in traffic here as you don't go to work here, the same thing in Phoenix... once there, you're not going anywhere...in any case traffic does not bother me... unless we're talking LA traffic... lol...Yes wives do have a lot to say about it... and I don't have a problem with a 55+ community... my younger brother lives in one in Florida and I go there every year and think it's just great. My wife doesn't really get it, so I have to spend more time convincing her. She just hasn't spent enough time in one.

In any case we will be there 2 weeks, so plenty of time to look around.
Sunnyaz, , Peoria, AZ
Fri Jun 13, 2008
If you are going to look at Tucson, might want to consider looking at Maricopa & Casa Grande. Lot of new devlopement down that way. Doesn't sound like you really care about being in a 55+ community anyway. Yes, Phoenix does have it's traffic problems but if you are not working here and don't have to drive during the rush hours it is not bad at all. I am sure you will find something. And yes, wives do tend to have a big influence on the decision making process!!
Fri Jun 13, 2008
Sunnyaz, yes I am doing my homework. I am aware of location, and a one time fee... and further fees... but you got pay something for anything.

No free lunch in America you know:-) or Canada for that matter.

We also checked out Goodyear last Xams... kinda far, and out of the way. Everything nice and new, but... isolated.

I may end up owning more than one property, because I'm looking for cash flow for living income while I'm doing my 6 months there every winter. I want to start a real estate business. Otherwise I have to keep converting CAD to USD all the time, and that gets expensive for nothing over time. In addition, every time I use my Canadian credit card for cash, they charge me 5 bucks "international" fee, in additon to the 2.5% on the currency conversion. Can't be doing that for 6 months of the year. Ridiculous.

In August, we will be looking at condos in Scottsdale, houses in Sun Lakes, Chandler and Tempe, AND will drive down to Yuma and Tuscon. Yuma we've been before, but about 30 years ago, so I think it's grown (wink). Tuscon never been to, but both place harder to get at as we have to take another flight connection. A friend of mine from Delta is looking in Tuscon... he likes it better than Phoenix, less traffic. But he's used to driving 10 minutes to work while he was working... he always worked and stayed in same neighbourhood.

I drive 2.5 hours in heavy traffic everyday, so it doesn't bother me. Every year I go to Montreal, and it's even worse there... doesn't bother me. One thing I have to say about Phoenix, terrific freeways and highways. Best roads anywhere for getting around. Love it.

As long as we are within 30 min. from the airport, we will be fine... since we have to take a cab to get there. Once there, I intend to keep a car at the house.

Personally, I'd rather have a small house on a desert landscaped lot... with a nice yard with citrus trees, palms, cactus. I'd be very happy to sip my morning coffee looking at my yard. But, I guess my wife has other ideas. haha
David, , Boston, MA
Fri Jun 13, 2008
Stay away from Arizona. They'll be running out of water. it's just now becoming a dust bowl.

David
native Arizonan
lived there 1966-2001
Sunnyaz, , Peoria, AZ
Fri Jun 13, 2008
Having looked in the Sun Lakes area myself, I will tell you that it is somewhat off the beaten path so to speak. It is not very close to any of the major freeways and you have to go into Chandler for any major shopping if that is of interest to you. There are several different areas and the houses range from older to fairly new. Take into consideration when looking the annual recreation fees. Sun City has a one time buy in fee somewhere around $2500.00 and then there is the annual Recreation fees. Of course if you want golf privileges that is extra. It is good that you are coming down to look for yourself and all these type of questions can be answered by your realtor. You certainly seem to be doing your homework.
Fri Jun 13, 2008
Hi Ron,

Yes, I'm aware... I have an agent who specializes in the Sun Lakes area. I have never been, but will be there in August. I'm plugged into the MLS and see all the new daily listings and reduced listings as well.

I like the looks of the place from online pictures... very nice homes with good size lots, inexpensive (as compared to Vancouver- we're in Richmond), low taxes comparable to Vancouver, etc. Looks attractive. I'd favor a desert landscape as we get enough grass and trees up here... low maintenance is what I'm after.

We looked at Florida, but taxes too high (2%), Palm Springs CA (1.25% and very high HOAs of 400 Mo. and up). AZ has the best operating costs anywhere in the sun belt.... and close at 2.40 hr flight time. My wife is originally from Winnipeg, so she's a Western girl anyway.... Phoenix is very similar to Calgary in character.

In addition, I go to Florida every year on Spring Break and in rains a lot. Get enough of that here. I don't want to see another rain drop of it or another overcast, gloomy day. Not bad when one is working, too busy to care, but once retired.... too depressing. I want dry and sunny.

I checked their website, looks good. The only issue is my wife is scared it's like an old folks home... so I have to drag her there to see it first hand. Even though I have never been to Sun Lakes, I'm sold on the place... tons of listings below 200k, and nice looking homes on good lots.... low operating costs. As far as I'm concerned, it's perfect for me. I just have to convince my wife... she likes Scottsdale.... and wants a condo... I'm not too keen on that. Always been a land owner.

But again, we haven't been to Sun Lakes yet.... I am excited about it though.
Ron Jacques, Home Buyer, Vancouver, WA
Fri Jun 13, 2008
Hi Micheal;
My wife and I are retired Vancouverites (Burnaby) that just bought in Sun City (1700sq ft, 3bd 2br) for less than $150,000. Check out 85351 zip @ trulia and see what you can get for less than $200,000. It's a 55 plus community http://(www.suncityaz.org) with low taxes and HOA.
If you want to talk or see pictures;
Ron Jacques
604 434 9965
Fri Jun 13, 2008
Thanks Donna, you are right, most likely I will have to raise my purchase price... it all depends on the possible rental issue. In this market it might be difficult to rent, if it isn't already rented. So I'll be looking at the cap rate closely... for now, more a busines move than anything else.

I already have Rick Dobbles for the general Scottsdale area. Thanks anyway.
The Cilley T…, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Fri Jun 13, 2008
Dear Michel,

You are not dreaming but we can find something more convenient to the Scottsdale Restaurants and the Airport if you are willing to go a bit higher in price. I currently have 2 patio homes for sale, one at $297,00 and the other at $350,000 that would make excellent winter visitor homes. I also have a 2 bedroom, single level condo near PV mall for $180,000.

Donna Cilley
Realty Executives
602-799-9930
Web Reference:  http://www.DonnaCilley.com
Sunnyaz, , Peoria, AZ
Fri Jun 13, 2008
I will keep in touch and let you know if the status of the house changes before August. In the meantime, if you would like to see any pictures let me know.
Fri Jun 13, 2008
Thanks Sunnyaz, I'll get in touch with you via e-mail if I have time when we get there. We have not spent time in Peoria. We'll have to explore.

Jeff,

Thanks but Queen Creek is just too far... not expensive, but really for young families starting out.... we went to check it out last Xmas. west Mesa might be a possibility. Yes Bellingham flights are inexpensive, but it takes longer just to get through the border line-ups than it takes to fly to Phoenix from Vancouver. I don't care about the cost of the flight, I want expediency and proximity.

I'm a 15 min. cab ride to the Vancouver airport, door to door. Very practical.
Sunnyaz, , Peoria, AZ
Fri Jun 13, 2008
Don't just look in the East Valley/Scottsdale area. There are many nice 55+ communities in the west valley also. My home is currently on the market and certainly fits the criteria you are looking for. 3 Bd, 1 3/4 Bath, 1428 Sq Ft, 2 car garage. Built in 2001 and under $200K. Annual HOA fee of $170. Community Rec Center & Pool. Minutes to the 101 Frwy. 20-25 minutes to airport. Within a few miles of the Cardinals/Coyotes stadium, restaurants, shopping, movie theaters, spring training facilities, medical facilities and large shopping mall. Certainly worth a look and consideration if still on the market when you are here in August.
Jeff Blair, , San Tan Valley, AZ
Thu Jun 5, 2008
Michel, I am from New Westminster, BC and have been in Arizona for 12 years. I specialize in the South East valley mainly Mesa and Queen Creek. There are currently new built homes with warranties starting at about $105,000 in Queen Creek and a new gated community in Mesa at $240,000. About 30 min. to Sky Harbor airport in Phoenix and under that to Gateway airport in Mesa that has inexpensive flights to Bellingham.
Web Reference:  http://www.moovingAZ.com
Wed Jun 4, 2008
No golf, not important... not yet anyway. We are planning to rent it out for the next few years before we retire, so rental potential very important as we simply do not have the time yet to take full advantage of the US property... too busy in our working lives. We may eventually buy more than one property, to generate US income and tax effectiveness later on.

We have an agent for Scottsdale and another one for Sun Lakes/Chandler areas. Both specialize in their respective markets. We do have another one in Yuma to get another perspective.

We now have a US accountant and I have picked out a lawyer.

I expect however, that the metro Phoenix area will offer best rental potential rather than the outer areas.

We are looking at properties under 300k max.... but there are plenty at or under 200k that meet our requirements.

We would like to be relatively close to airport (but not under flight path), close to shopping, restaurants, etc. that is what is really important. Over 1,000 SF and under 2,000 SF.... probably 1300-1700 SF would be ideal.... otherwise too much work to upkeep. Minimum 2 bd/2 bath.... and covered parking as we will eventually leave a car there permanently.
Ken Millar, , 85233
Wed Jun 4, 2008
Hi Michel,

I'm currently working with a number of Canadian residents looking to "winter" here in the Phoenix Metro area. We have a number of communities that fit your interests with single family detached homes that are priced in the under $200,000 price range. Are community activities like golf important to your family?
Wed Jun 4, 2008
Hi Nick,

I am planning to come down to Phoenix first 2 weeks of August, and am planning 2 side trips: Yuma and Tuscon.

Yuma I haven't been to in 20 years... small town but it is close to San Diego/LA California, Baja, and Mexican coast. That's an attraction.

Tuscon we have never been to, so I may just take you up on your offer. We are planning to visit the area.... the usual western tourist traps, like Tombstone/Bisbee. A friend told me Green Valley and Tubac are a must, plus the Tubac Golf and Country Club Inn.

I will check your website and get back to you.
The Urban Te…, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Tue May 27, 2008
Dear Michel,

As many have said, there are a number of choices. I'd first check on financing. We are working with a number of Canadian buyers (we like Canadians) and have found some issues from RBC and other lenders that may be of concern. I'd contact your banker and make sure you won't have a glitch. You'll also want to get a tax id number as this issue comes up often and takes time to correct.

Regarding homes, there are a number of options. What we like to do is send you a two page questionnaire that looks at the lifestyle considerations as well as what you want in a home. Being close to an airport is one of your considerations, but day to day living opportunities are likely more important as well as what you are looking for in a community.

Finding the right home for you and your wife is a process of learning and can not be answered properly in this forum. There are too many considerations and we only have one shot at finding you the absolutely perfect home.

Michel, we would be honored to be chosen to help you in this process. As you interview potential agents to represent you, we simply ask to be one.

Best wishes.... Gene Urban
Web Reference:  http://www.urbanteamaz.com
Marc, Both Buyer And Seller, Tempe, AZ
Tue May 27, 2008
I have a 3 bed/2 bath, 1505 sq. ft. condo in Tempe that's less than 10 minutes from the airport and about three minutes from AZ Mills Mall. My wife and I are considering moving this year and would be selling our place. You can contact me at naujackfan@netscape.net if you're interested in some pictures and details.
Fri May 23, 2008
Thanks John, but I think there's plenty of inventory under 300k in the greater dowtown Phoenix area.... inventory of the type I'm looking for...I don't need to go higher. In fact, these days, lots in the 200k range or under.

I'm concentrating in Scottsdale and Sun Lakes/Chandler. Scottsdale I have to pay a bit more but I feel easy to rent. I don't want anything too big, 2,000 SF max. , even that is too large for what I need, 1,500 would be better. I also have to be within 1/2 hour from Sky Harbor airport, no more. At this end I live a 15 min. cab ride to YVR, and there are 2 direct flights a day to Phoenix, year round (unlike PS CA in season only), at 2.40 hrs fight time. I want easy and quick access to the second home...

And I do plan to be renting it out for the first few years.
John Lynch, , 85255
Fri May 23, 2008
For a track record of appreciation, and the likely choice for renters if that path should be attractive, I recommend Carefree, AZ.................Condos from upper 200's to well over that. I have a 1 year old unit, a townhouse in carefree that I expect a double in appreciation over the next 3 years - some new units under construction and one mega project (easystreetcarefree.com) will make 2 communities across the street worth significantly more that current price range of $479,000 to around $700,000.......All luxury units above 2000 ft2, gated, 2 car garage space, pool/spa and walking distance to Easy Street and carefree restuarants, shopping, art / wine festivals, etc..........Clarendon Estates and Montecino......I've sold most of these two projects over the last 2-3 years (11 units and 25 units each)
Web Reference:  http://www.johnrlynch.com
Jerry Murphy, Agent, Anthem, AZ
Thu May 22, 2008
Hi Michel,

The Sun Cities (Sun City, Sun City West, Sun City Grand) although not gated are very nice communities. I have an affinity towards Sun City Grand as my parents live there. It is a beautiful community with 4 golf courses, 2 state of the art fitness facilities, and dozens of other amenities. The pickings are somewhat slim under $200k but there ARE some nice homes in that price range.
Phil And Ter…, , Sedona, AZ
Thu May 22, 2008
You should consider Sedona for the weather (perfect) and quality of life. Visit our website and look around.
Sat May 3, 2008
Thanks John... the condo you describe sounds just about right for us and easy to rent. Of course, long distance ownership means proximity to airport is paramount.... I certainly can't be going there every week-end to look after things, it would cost me a fortune flying there. I'll try the site you suggested.
George Purpu…, , 85234
Sat May 3, 2008
I specialize in Retirement Communities and we have a number of GREAT areas the East Valley...Mesa is good. Places like Leisure World and Sunland Springs are popular areas for Canadians. Please let me know if I can help.
Mon Apr 28, 2008
Thanks Gene. I agree 100% as I am quite aware... I do a fair bit of stock investing, and have for several decades, so I know money.

However for me, I may rent out the US property for a while until I am ready to make use of it.... 5 to 10 years max., so then I will have a US income tax problem in the US from the rental cash-flow, so a US mortgage to cover the expenses maybe the best solution. I have found a US accountant and US mortgage broker to help me (thru Trulia). I may get a US investment mortgage as it is faster and easier, but one needs a minimum of 30% down today... so I will most likely put down a bit more, but only as much as necessary to make the property cash-flow positive. Probably 40%, but I'm still crunching the numbers vis-à-vis the various property types.

I had friends in the early 80s who bought US property with a US mortgage as both were lower at the time than here Vancouver, then when the commodities tanked, so did the Loony... but they still had to cover their US mortgage with a depreciating CAD. Nightmare scenario... they were forced to sell to get out from under it..... So I'm very well aware of the pitfalls.

In Vancouver property prices are still appreciating, up 10% this year. Last year, I sold-off my stock margin portfolios, paid-off all my non-deductible debts, was 100% debt free with cash in the bank, then reset my Secured Line of Credit against my properties to max. (90%) as they had appreciated a great deal since I last did this a few years back. So now, I am debt free, have cash in the bank and have access to large amounts of SLoC cash, without having to go begging to the bank with my hat in my hands. First thing I did early this year is re-invested (borrowing from my SLoC ) and bought back my portfolios at lower prices... needless to say, I'm in the black now, and doing well (so far, LOL).

As I have been researching Phoenix RE, I am coming to the conclusion that Scottsdale would be the best bang for my buck, as I can most likely, easily rent out the property in any economic climate. But I will have to spend more than I originally figured... between 250 to 300k. However, when I am ready, I can either use that property, or then sell it and buy something else.

I have been accumulating USD in a USD savings account in Canada, but should eventually open one up in the US for when I relocated sometime in the future. I also looked at Yuma, been there before... too far to get at. Phoenix easier, 2 direct flights a day from Vancouver.

Not finished doing my homework yet, so I may change my mind on some things moving forward. But anyway I look at it, I'm not planning on spending 6 months a year of my retirement, looking at Vancouver rain.
Randy Curnutt, , Queen Creek, AZ
Thu Feb 28, 2008
Hello Michel....

There is a community that I have in mind......mountain views, active adult, gated.....homes are loaded with upgrades from corian counters to 18" tile, and the rec center is awesome! There are even two gold course homesites remaining. It has been extremely popular with my Canadian clients. It is almost sold out/closed out, however, so time is of the essence. Let's chat!

randy@buyanewhomeinaz.com

Randy Curnutt
602-677-1002
Deb, Home Seller, Phoenix, AZ
Wed Feb 27, 2008
We have a home for sale in a semi retirement community. (Westbrook Village) 83rd Ave & Union Hills. Everyone is 40's - 60's in age. Lots of the residence's are here only 6 months out of the year and are very friendly. We have a Possie with the Sheriff's Office the patrols the area and take list of the home to watch. Golf course community. Asking price is $349,000. We wouldn't be moving if we didn't have to. We love the neighborhood. 623-582-1978
David Baker, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Mon Jan 14, 2008
Michel,
I have had a couple of people down from Canada, and the criteria is very similar, especially being close to the airport. There are a couple of places that I have shown them, and actually they may decide to buy land to build specifically to market to their fellow country men. They like the South Phoenix area due to proximity to airport and the Ravens and Legacy golf course. Call me if your in the area and I'd be more than happy to show you the area.
Ulises Romo, , Phoenix, AZ
Mon Jan 14, 2008
Michel,

Scottsdale is a great place to live, and in old town scottsdale their are many condos, and new ones being built as well. I would be happy to help you in your search. Feel free to contact me anytime.

Ulises Romo, REALTOR®
PRO-formance Realty Concepts
ulisesromo29@yahoo.com
cell: 602-380-4890
Mon Jan 14, 2008
Thanks for all the replies... we went down to Phoenix to have a look around for holidays early in the new year 2008 and checked out a few neighbourhoods... Gold Canyon is very nice but far from town... very scenic.... Goodyear and Queens Creek is far and inexpensive.... but there are more tumbleweeds and sand there than anything else.... Scottsdale is very nice, especially Old Scottsdale and the Waterfront area.... but expensive. Perhaps a condo might do in Scottsadle... still looking. After all, we want a second retirement home... and are not willing to spend a great deal as our home base is Vancouver B.C., expensive enough as it is.
Brian Bell, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Sat Dec 15, 2007
Hi Michael,

Without physically talking with you, I just ran a quick search and came up with 1109 properties they may or may not be to your specs. There are several areas that you may like. It is great time for the Canadians to buy, as I read it, it is the only time since 1976 that the dollar was so strong!! If you would like to view homes online go to http://www.bellhomesaz.com and click on "All Arizona Home" their, you will be able to conduct your own search and see the listings online. Or, just get in touch with me and I will send them to you.
Stay warm!

Brian Bell
"The Real Estate Guy"
480-695-7036
Web Reference:  http://www.bellhomesaz.com
Ulises Romo, , Phoenix, AZ
Sat Dec 8, 2007
Michael,

Currently I have a listing that is $199,000. Also I know of new home builds throughout the valley that are below $200,000. The big question is where do you want to stay. Schools, well that's something you might want to research and pick for yourself. I have included a link below to help your search for a great school. Also I have left a link to my website where you can search for homes.

No one will be able to make your decisions for you but you can also help by giving us a little more information to help us narrow our searches. I would be happy to send you lists of homes that are for sale under $200,000 however, that list will be very big. I suggest contacting me or another agent so we can begin to search for a home.

Ulises Romo, REALTOR®
PRO-formance Realty Concepts
602-380-4890
ulisesromo20@yahoo.com
Web Reference:  http://www.greatschools.net/
Tarja, Home Seller, Scottsdale, AZ
Fri Dec 7, 2007
Canadians, forgott e mail address , aarrelaurila@cox.net
Tarja, Home Seller, Scottsdale, AZ
Fri Dec 7, 2007
Hi Canadians, We can sell our condo in the nice complex next to the golf course, 10 min. walk to the Old Town Scottsdale . There is swimming pool , spa. It is 2/2, balcony , 1130 sq feet. Asking for 200000. You would love it. Tarja
1 2