Can one hear the planes taking off and landing at the Oakland Airport if one lives in Alameda?

Asked by Lucy, Moving to SF Bay Area Sat Aug 18, 2007

Answers

10
Trulia Roger, Home Buyer, Alameda, CA
Sat Aug 18, 2007
Hi Lucy,
I live on the south end of the main island (94501, on shore line drive) and I never hear airplane noise other than what you would expect when a plane flies overhead. I think the 94502 (Bay Farm) folks on the smaller island hear much more airport noise than we do out here, but I don't go over there very often, so I don't know for sure.
Jean Powers, Agent, Castro Valley, CA
Fri Sep 21, 2007
I have lived in Alameda all my life. The Oakland Airport is right behind Bay Farm Island and Harbor Bay Isle in Alameda, therefore those residents can hear airplane noise. When I was growing up on Bay Farm the airport was very small but we still heard the jets revving up in the early morning hours. Now that the airport has expanded residents living in the townhomes off of Fir can definitely hear the noise. In some areas the airport is paying the residents for installation of new double paned windows. Since the expansion of cargo planes, Alameda has negotiated with the airport to have times of flights to be certain hours only. Since the closure of the Naval Air Station, we on the Main Island will sometimes hear the noise of private aircraft. Hope this information is helpful.
Paul Hampton, , Alameda, CA
Wed Apr 28, 2010
Hi Lucy,

I have lived in various parts of Alameda over the last 35 plus years. Currently I live in the most center of the island. I only hear planes from SFO when the weather forces the use of a different runway. This is only for short periods of time during stormy weather and has not been a bother or quality life issue. This blog post shows the runway patterns and usage.
Guy Blume, Agent, Alameda, CA
Mon Oct 5, 2009
I live on Bayview Drive, 94501 on the water side facing Bay Farm Island which is 94502. There are actually two airports in Oakland. Large commerical and smaller aircraft. On overcast days the flight plan changes because planes have to fly by instrumental navigation. On overcast days, the small planes fly directly overhead and wake me up at 6:00am sharp every morning. I've looked into it and I was told by a city official, "Think of it as commerce. You can't stop commerce." If you really want to dig into this please see the web reference below.
Troystaten, Agent, Alameda, CA
Wed Sep 9, 2009
Yes but there is an organization called CLASS that has been working with the airport to keep the noise down. If it was not for them it would be much worse. I live in the east side of Alameda and most of the time it is not a big issue for me. Over all Alameda is a pretty quite community by Bay Area standards.

Troy
Web Reference:  http://www.Troystaten.com
East Bay, Home Buyer, San Leandro, CA
Fri Apr 10, 2009
yes you will hear them. i live in central alameda and even though they do become backdrop after a while, sometimes it'll still be too loud to ignore the noise. also depending on where you live, you'll sometimes hear the trains too
Pacita Dimac…, Agent, Oakland, CA
Sun May 18, 2008
I live in Central part of Alameda, closer to the estuary. Funny, I don't hear the airplanes. Maybe I'm used to it if there is airplane noise. But I do hear it over Bay FArm/Harbor Bay.

What I do hear at night are the trains going through Jack London Square in Oakland, across from the estuary.

After a while, people get used to seeing, hearing things that later become a simple backdrop. City folks cringe at sounds of crickets; while country folks can't stand traffic noise.
Cm, Both Buyer And Seller, Alameda, CA
Wed May 14, 2008
I disagree about planes on the main island. On overcast days, the planes are now being diverted over the Webster/Lincoln area. They are loud, especially when coming in to land at Oakland.
Pam Winterba…, Agent, Danville, VA
Sat Aug 18, 2007
It would depend on what end of Alameda you are at. A lot of the homes on Bay Farm Island and near Southshore experience airport noise. If you are considering purchasing I would suggest you visit the area several times during the day and evening to see how the noise level is. Good Luck
Web Reference:  http://pamwinterbauer.com
The Hagley G…, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Sat Aug 18, 2007
A lot of factors come into play.....size of plane, wind, etc. However, the seller of a home is supposed to disclose this information to you.
Web Reference:  http://www.cindihagley.com