Can anyone point me to a good map of the superfund sites in Santa Clara county?

Asked by Sam, San Jose, CA Sun Jun 29, 2008

We found out that our groundwater is toxic and I want to live as far away as possible from the 29 superfund sites, but it is hard to figure out which areas are the most toxic without seeing them on map.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


CJ Brasiel’s answer
CJ Brasiel, Agent, San Jose, CA
Sun Jun 29, 2008
Sam --
Sam, I tried a couple of more..but you are right, no one shows an area map of toxic reach.

Let me know if you find anything. I would be interested in following up.

Web Reference:
2 votes
Sam, Home Seller, San Jose, CA
Sun Jun 29, 2008
Thanks for your suggestions CJ!

Santa Clara County Planning does not offer a map that shows hazardous materials and how far their plume extends.

PROPERTY ID can tell you for each property that you are interested in, but they also do not have a map.

The EPA doesn't offer maps, just a list of the superfunds by county.

SCORECARD.ORG is a good site, but they have the hazards broken down by air, water, and ground.…

A few sites for groundwater contamination have maps that seem to show the sites mainly clustered around 101, not so much around 280.…

Nobody offers a comprehensive overlay of toxic exposure in the air, ground, and water so that people can choose to stay in the delta of where there is minimal overlay of environmental toxins and health hazards (air, ground, water). I want to find an easy-to-read map of environmental toxins and make an informed decision about where to live without being constantly exposed to health risks.
0 votes
Homa Moaddel, Agent, Foothill Ranch, CA
Sun Jun 29, 2008
Hi Sam,

Try EPA website.(Environmental Protection Agency). Superfund sites are under regulations of Federal Gov. EPA.

Broker Associate
Mission Viejo
0 votes
CJ Brasiel, Agent, San Jose, CA
Sun Jun 29, 2008
Sam -

Check out Santa Clara County Planning web site. There are areas around Shoreline. (Interesting that this is also a wildlife sanctuary...)

From one doc on the site:

"Initial review of the environmental document technical report on hazardous materials
indicates contamination at an EPA Superfund site north and west of Shoreline Blvd.
Geotechnical borings will be required in the affected area. Permits to perform the drilling
operations may be required from the Santa Clara Valley Water District and Regional Water
Quality Control Board. Meetings with the Water District and Water Quality Control Board
are being scheduled to determine permit requirements. Drilling is expected to begin in
mid-July 2000."

Although I did not find an actual map, you should be able to email/call the planning organization and get one. The other possibility (if this hasn't already been provided) is a hazard report. You can call PROPERTY ID 1800-626-0106 or JCP Reporting, (510) 580-2000. They may be able to help with maps.

Good luck,
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more