Can a tenant sue for rent paid if housing is contaminated with mold?

Asked by Bruce, Los Angeles, CA Mon Dec 10, 2007

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Brad Bergami…, Agent, Prescott, AZ
Mon Dec 10, 2007
You can sue for anything. But, you are looking at a long process. Wouldn't it be easer to try to remediate the mold? Or better yet ask for a release of your lease so that you can find another home.
Mold is a natural occurrence and can be found almost everywhere. If you have it in a home it is not the problem but the symptom of other problem, such as a water leak or condensation build up.

Talk to your landlord and ask for a release of the lease and find another home. This is the cheapest way to go.
If the landlord refuses, ask them if they would like you to call their insurance company…
Web Reference:
1 vote
Frances Flynn…, , State College, PA
Mon Dec 17, 2007
Each state has a regulatory body that governs the real estate industry. There are guidelines for landlords and tenants that are very specific in terms of an appropriate tenant response for valid health and safety concerns. Check with your state. I included a link below that I found after search on Google for "California landlord tenant act."
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more