Larah, Home Owner in Hackensack, NJ

Can a condo board suddenly decide to force all owners to pay for TV cable? My condo board has been charging me for cable service that I do not have.

Asked by Larah, Hackensack, NJ Sat Feb 19, 2011

When I requested that the charge be removed from my monthly bill I was informed that I had to pay. I then received threatening letters from the condo board lawyer stating he would take legal action. It's funny, my maintenance fees pay for his service and he's threatening ME??? My condo board has not sent me a copy of the so-called contract that they entered into and the lawyer cannot even provide the exact date that the contract is effective. Please advise. This is so obviously illegal. Who can I go to short of obtaining a lawyer?

Help the community by answering this question:


Confer with an attorney AND review your HOA rules

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 19, 2011
If you are being threatened with legal action you can either ignore the issue and face having the association sue you or even foreclose on your unit for non payment of association dues - or you can contact an attorney.

It would probably take an attorney a very short period of time (and money) to review your HOA documents to determine if the HOA has a legal right to make this decision. So if you do talk to an attorney, make sure you bring all your HOA documents, including letters from the HOA attorney, with you.

If you are unable to afford an attorney, contact your local legal aide office for assistance.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 19, 2011
Since you are asking a legal question, it's in your best interest to consult with an attorney--accurate advice pevents future problems.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 19, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer